volunteer high

easttnboy

Ran into a fellow who seemed to think he was in the know today at the barber shop. He brought up Barnett again, but said he thought there may be some issue with his teaching certificate.

Anyone have any new word? I have talked to several who seem to think Barnett would do a good job if he gets the nod.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think he would be better off in the long run if he stays in Greeneville. Great feeder programs...etc...etc. Especially playing with that kind of talent in a lower division. good situation for him!

why would you want to keep an assistant from the coaching staff you got rid of? not unless we have some back stabbing going on. no i am not trying to stir the pot at all, but that doesn't make sense. the assistant i HOPE has loyalty to coach whitt. and what is up with his license? does he not a teacher already? AND why hasn't the posting already been put up on the board or tssaa web site?

sounds like something fishy going on.

I would think he would be better off in the long run if he stays in Greeneville. Great feeder programs...etc...etc. Especially playing with that kind of talent in a lower division. good situation for him!

why would you want to keep an assistant from the coaching staff you got rid of? not unless we have some back stabbing going on. no i am not trying to stir the pot at all, but that doesn't make sense. the assistant i HOPE has loyalty to coach whitt. and what is up with his license? does he not a teacher already? AND why hasn't the posting already been put up on the board or tssaa web site?

sounds like something fishy going on.

To the best of my understanding, Barnett is on an alternative liscensing program, which allows a person to teach for a set number of years (usually 3) while they work towards meeting endorsment requirements. The information I have heard suggests that Mr. Barnett has not completed the required testing obstacles to be classified as a "highly qualified" teacher. As a teacher myself I can tell you that the endorsement requirements can be a real pain in the butt sometimes, but the state can be very strict about them. If Mr. Barnett is indeed entering his 4th year as a teacher and has not met the requirements, Hawkins County may not even have the option of giving him tenure.

As for the posting, I noticed today that Volunteer has one math position with coaching duties posted, but no social studies (which was Whitt's subject). I've been scratching my head about this all day.

1. I wonder if the job posted is Barnett's job?

2. I wonder why Whitt's social studies position has not been posted yet?

3. I wonder why there has not been a posting for a head coaches position (usually when a posting is for a subject area with coaching duties it means as an assistant, or for a minor sport).

4. I wonder why there hasn't been any posting on TSSAA about the spot?

And finally, as to why they would give it to Barnett, I have no idea. I tend to agree with your view that it sounds odd, but as I have stated, that is the word I have been hearing through the grapevine.

***Update***

A quick search for Barnett through the state liscense database reveals that Barnett is currently teaching on a Transitional license, which is a new type of license similar to the old Alternative license. Basically it appears that a person can teach on one of these licenses for 3 years so long as they prove that they have been working on fulfilling full license requirements. What is interesting though is Barnett is listed as being "highly qualified" in math, so the notion that there was some hangup with his license status may be a bunch of bunk.

• 2 weeks later...

Interviews are almost complete. Steve Crowder (Brien Crowders brother former and assistant at Rhea and Antioach), Chris Brown (Miami Palmetto head coach to 3,000 students and coached Tim Hardaway Jr who is going to Michigan), Mike Morrell (King and Clemson Assistant and is not going to DePaul) and Greg Barnett (current assistant coach) have all completed their interviews. I hear they may interview one more person, but not sure who that is. Seems like they have been looking on their own for a good crop of choices to replace Whittemore. I heard they they will make some choice by early next week.

Interesting stuff!

From what I hear Chris Brown is moving to the area from Fla because his wife took a new job in the area, I think he has interviewed for a few other open spots around the area as well. As for Morrell, I had heard that he was on a watch list a while back, but like the folks on the Betsy thread were saying, it is hard to immagine him leaving a college program like Clemson unless he knows he isn't going to have a job next year. This is the first I have heard of Crowder so I have no input on that. And as far as Barnett goes, I have still been hearing his name float around with locals. Would be interested to know who the other candidate is...

Should be interesting seeing who they go with. From the looks of things they should have a respectable fill for the spot if they choose from that list. I guess we will just have to wait and see!

Has anyone heard anything about Coach Whitt? I'm curious to see where he ends up, would love to see him stays in the area.

Where else was he gonna go? Heard he only got one interview in Scott County TN. Elizabethton and Morristown West did not even interview him.

Well that doesn't sound like you are sure. I just don't see him going there to coach the girls team. My money says he would leave the area before he took that job.

Well you would lose money. It is common knowledge that he is going to Johnson County.

Is that so? Well good for him, and Johnson County. I hope he does well there. It's kind of a shame West and Betsy turned a cold shoulder on him, I mean love him or hate him it is hard to argue that he is a good coach.