volunteer high

easttnboy

this is tooooo funny to watch. good luck to coach whitt for getting the johnson county job(if indeed he goes). if it is single a or even aa he might be able to go pretty far in the tourney in a couple of years. they have a pretty good following up there. do they still come down to the christmas tourney at volunteer? that will be fun to watch.

the postings did say coaching oppurtinities, BUT IT did not say head coaching position. kind of pitiful. they must have had somebody in mind since christmas. anyway.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is tooooo funny to watch. good luck to coach whitt for getting the johnson county job(if indeed he goes). if it is single a or even aa he might be able to go pretty far in the tourney in a couple of years. they have a pretty good following up there. do they still come down to the christmas tourney at volunteer? that will be fun to watch.

the postings did say coaching oppurtinities, BUT IT did not say head coaching position. kind of pitiful. they must have had somebody in mind since christmas. anyway.

Indeed it did not say Head Coach position. Most places post a head coaches position as a seperate job posting... It is hard to say, but I agree with you that as low of a profile as Hawkins County kept this seems to suggest that a coach, or at least a short list of coaches were already in mind (that kind of back scratching and home cooking is nothing new to this area, as I presume most on this thread know already). That is what got me my job, even in Kingsport, who you know gets you further than merit (not that it is right, but it is a fact of life).

Who the new hire is will tell the tale. Should be interesting to say the least...

As I mentioned before it will not be Michael Morrell. Just heard from one of his friends at EHS who is a football coach there, that he has accepted an Assistant Coaching position at Charleston yesterday. Obviously whatever Morrell's interest was in Mtown West or Volunteer it was only due to the fact the thought he might not have a job. Supposedly Morrell will be their lead recruiter there and it is a great step for him according to this guy. He had been told by Clemson he wouldn't be kept on there and declined to take a spot with Purnell at DePaul. So now what does Volunteer do, that should narrow the candidates down that have been thrown around on this thread.

The new Volunteer High coach is Chris Brown from Miami Palemetto, from a Class 6-A school with an enrollment over 3200. He went 18-11 last year playing one of the toughest schedules in the state of Florida. His wife is a dr in Kingsport, so thus the move to East TN. I was told the press conference went great in the gym. New kids are said to be interested in coming out.

The new Volunteer High coach is Chris Brown from Miami Palemetto, from a Class 6-A school with an enrollment over 3200. He went 18-11 last year playing one of the toughest schedules in the state of Florida. His wife is a dr in Kingsport, so thus the move to East TN. I was told the press conference went great in the gym. New kids are said to be interested in coming out.

Congratulations to coach Brown. Does anyone know anymore about him? What kind of program does he run, he bringing new assistants, etc...? I hope he has as much success at Volunteer as he had in Florida.

Any other word on coach Whittemore, is the word still Johnson Co. girls? Good luck to him wherever he lands, I am sure he will be successful.

i hope he dont slip up and say a dirty wird or the little kiddies and their daddies and mommies will be crying on him also....let my poor little johnny play. but im sure, being from miami, that he doesnt heavily encourage full participation. it is going to be so funny watching all the parents start sucking up and offering the new coach their services for whatever is needed......here we goooooooooooooooo... :thumb:

i hope he dont slip up and say a dirty wird or the little kiddies and their daddies and mommies will be crying on him also....let my poor little johnny play. but im sure, being from miami, that he doesnt heavily encourage full participation. it is going to be so funny watching all the parents start sucking up and offering the new coach their services for whatever is needed......here we goooooooooooooooo... :)

I don't think that will be a problem, he will have Myers as a mentor.

Dont know coach Witt personaly, but my son has played against his teams for the last 2 years. This year we made it to sub-state in knoxville, my son told me just before the game started that coach Aronald had someone he would like the boys to meet. Coach Witt came in and spoke to our team, my son said that he was great. So the best of luck coach, from one of Boone's players and his dad.

we will all be interested in the new hire's performance/record. If he is successful, Science Hill will double his salary. :roflol:

I think with this guy's resume, one has to wonder how long he plans on staying at Volunteer. I would be interested to know what some of the larger programs from the area said when they looked over his application. I hope I'm wrong, but Volunteer seems like a stepping stone for someone like Brown to get into a bigger program. It will be interesting to see how much attention they pay to him. Oh to be a fly on the wall.......

• 4 months later...

Dont know coach Witt personaly, but my son has played against his teams for the last 2 years. This year we made it to sub-state in knoxville, my son told me just before the game started that coach Aronald had someone he would like the boys to meet. Coach Witt came in and spoke to our team, my son said that he was great. So the best of luck coach, from one of Boone's players and his dad.

My son played 4 years for Coach Whittemore. I believe he always was competitive no matter how low our talent was on any given year. In my opinion that is exactly all that can be asked of a Coach. If you do not win at least have a game plan and play hard, and that is what I have seen from Coach Whittemores Teams. Some kids have a hard time getting ready for the season. They may be lazy, spoiled or lack a competitive spirit. Sometimes things heat up as a Coach who is competitive tries to motivate the kids. My son had a chance to play college Basketball and Football, but instead was lucky enough to get a full scholarship for leadership/academics. He is now a Junior in College. I believe Coach Whittemore always tried to help our kids and for the sake of my son and others I am grateful. He still keeps in contact with former players, I believe because he cares. He has shared basketball, academics, and even personal issues with his players. Some coaches are through with their former players after they graduate. The critics and players need to realize, Life is hard and those that have the gumption and preserverence to keep going will do fine. I believe my son prepared for College and Life on the basketball court. No matter how tough things get NEVER give up or QUIT! Many parents think that making life easy for kids is best, Lets get real LIFE IS ROUGH ! Remember they are more places than a classroom to prepare for College or life