volunteer high

easttnboy

I can assure you that Michael Morrell isn't interested in the Volunteer job. I know someone that spoke to a family member of his in Elizabethton. He was semi-interested in the Morristown West job according to him, but had no interest in the Etown or Volunteer jobs. Maybe he was at Volunteer last week to see Scott Rider, he is very close with Jason and Shawn. From what she told this guy, Morrell has numerous college opportunities and was offered a different spot at DePaul but chose not to follow. Time will tell I suppose.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you all mean that the interviews are almost complete? NOTHING has been posted. Yes the Hawkins county job postings says, "coaching positions," but nothing about a head coach. DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE. Can someone please clarify? Bueller, Bueller, Anyone, Bueller?

I can assure you that Michael Morrell isn't interested in the Volunteer job. I know someone that spoke to a family member of his in Elizabethton. He was semi-interested in the Morristown West job according to him, but had no interest in the Etown or Volunteer jobs. Maybe he was at Volunteer last week to see Scott Rider, he is very close with Jason and Shawn. From what she told this guy, Morrell has numerous college opportunities and was offered a different spot at DePaul but chose not to follow. Time will tell I suppose.

I was told by a teacher who was eating lunch in the caferteria on Friday when Morrell came through the school with the Principal and AD. Seems like he is interested.

What do you all mean that the interviews are almost complete? NOTHING has been posted. Yes the Hawkins county job postings says, "coaching positions," but nothing about a head coach. DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE. Can someone please clarify? Bueller, Bueller, Anyone, Bueller?

I thought the same thing myself. I do know that I have heard some of those names rallypoint mentioned be brought up as potential applicants. I guess we will see by next friday if they have named a new coach, that would tell us interviews are over. I too am somewhat skeptical though, being as I have not seen any kind of posting for head BBall coach either.

I could be wrong Rallypoint, I just find it very hard to believe that Morrell would turn down a Division 1 assistant coaching position to come back and take over Volunteer HS. But we all know how rumors are, if he is interested Volunteer should scoop him up in a heart beat. From what I hear from people surrounding him, I fully expect to see him on the college sidelines somewhere next season.

I could be wrong Rallypoint, I just find it very hard to believe that Morrell would turn down a Division 1 assistant coaching position to come back and take over Volunteer HS. But we all know how rumors are, if he is interested Volunteer should scoop him up in a heart beat. From what I hear from people surrounding him, I fully expect to see him on the college sidelines somewhere next season.

Apparently they have had some personnel changes at Clemson so it is plausible that Morrell has been told he will not have a job there next year. That being said, I do think it is a stretch to think he would return to the area and take the job at Volunteer, one would think he would have other college opportunities available, or at the least a more prestigious high school option than VHS.

Although if he is interested, seems like it would be a great hire for Volunteer, so I agree hhsgamer VHS better dangle a carrot rather quickly to get him committed.

I was told by a teacher who was eating lunch in the caferteria on Friday when Morrell came through the school with the Principal and AD. Seems like he is interested.

I was told by a parent it won't be Morrell. Admin doesn't think he can bring in the same level of commitment, enthusiasm, community support and ability to compete at the level of play coach Myers has in such a short time. They want the best for boys also. However I did detect a little sarcasm.

We can debate whether or not VHS wants Morrell for days. The real question should be, does Morrell want VHS? I mean really, with the paper trail this guy carries around it just doesn't sound right that he WANTS to be the head coach at Volunteer. He may show some interest if it will occupy his time until he lands his next college job, but the admin at vhs would have to be absolutely blind not to see that. This guy might make a heck of a high school coach, but as young as he is, and as much upper level experience as he has, I would tend to think a job at VHS would simply be a trivial time filler until he finds what he really wants (which I would immagine to be another college spot, or a larger high school spot.)

It just doesn't make sense that he would pass on Betsy and West and come running to VHS...you do the math.

We can debate whether or not VHS wants Morrell for days. The real question should be, does Morrell want VHS? I mean really, with the paper trail this guy carries around it just doesn't sound right that he WANTS to be the head coach at Volunteer. He may show some interest if it will occupy his time until he lands his next college job, but the admin at vhs would have to be absolutely blind not to see that. This guy might make a heck of a high school coach, but as young as he is, and as much upper level experience as he has, I would tend to think a job at VHS would simply be a trivial time filler until he finds what he really wants (which I would immagine to be another college spot, or a larger high school spot.)

It just doesn't make sense that he would pass on Betsy and West and come running to VHS...you do the math.

If Morrell wants a trivial time-filler, the Greeneville job is open and I'm sure it pays way better than VHS...with all that "donor" money and Greeneville needs another coach with D-I recruiting abilities.

If Morrell wants a trivial time-filler, the Greeneville job is open and I'm sure it pays way better than VHS...with all that "donor" money and Greeneville needs another coach with D-I recruiting abilities.

I agree Barb, in fact I would think the Greeneville job would be more appealing to Morrell as a longer term placement. However, I have to tell you that as a Volunteer fan I hope Greeneville goes with Brandon Reed. Win-win-win (win for greenevill in that Reed is a fine coach who is ready for a head coach position, win for Reed, and win for hawkins county fans like myself who would like to see a local graduate achieve something like that).

Just got a text that was forward to me that " @ 10:45 tomorrow in the little theater VHS will announce the new boys head basketball coach. Parents and students are invited to attend."

That is interesting, did they ever post the opening anywhere? They have posted an English job with coaching duties though, and Chris Brown teaches Language Arts at Miami Palmetto... :thumb: