Radio Announcer displays poor sportsmanship!!

vic

Posted by dandy82:

There's no place or time in high school athletics where a kid needs to be run down. Adults should know better. :( The attitude of mrorange is at best moronic. Be glad he is a fan of another team. I also feel sorry for his kids. How would you like to live with someone with his attitude. ;)

I would rather live with an adult that told me when I was acting classless, than with an adult who felt he had to throw things around to get a point across. :(

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:
Posted by dandy82:

There's no place or time in high school athletics where a kid needs to be run down. Adults should know better. :( The attitude of mrorange is at best moronic. Be glad he is a fan of another team. I also feel sorry for his kids. How would you like to live with someone with his attitude. ;)

The problem is Volunteer General, the young mans parents should be the one to council their son if he is acting in a manner that is not appropriate, not an announcer on a radio station. I would think there would be a better response (possibily a call to a principle or coach) than to use the airwaves in this manner. Coaches don't catch everything that happens on the field. The announcer wasn't thinking.

I would rather live with an adult that told me when I was acting classless, than with an adult who felt he had to throw things around to get a point across. :(

Posted by dandy82:
Posted by dandy82:

The problem is Volunteer General, the young mans parents should be the one to council their son if he is acting in a manner that is not appropriate, not an announcer on a radio station. I would think there would be a better response (possibily a call to a principle or coach) than to use the airwaves in this manner. Coaches don't catch everything that happens on the field. The announcer wasn't thinking.

I wasn`t implying the guy was right. You made the comment about having to live with this man at home. I was merely pointing out that I would rather live with someone who told me when I was acting classless than with someone who felt compelled to start throwing objects across the house in order to make a point. This is kind of a tongue in cheek reference to those who were defending the coach who hit the kid with a helmet in the lockerroom. Neither was right, yet many people were defending the coach. People are calling for the announcers job, yet they weren`t calling for the coaches job. :confused:

Posted by vic:

I was informed this afternoon that after the Collinwood - Forrest game Friday night, the radio announcer began putting down some of the Collinwood players. I didn't hear this, but our SRO officer did. One of the kids he talked down was my son Jacob Victory. The other was Jonathan Ward. I was told he said they were both classless. These two kids are great athletes and they play the game very hard. They take it serious and both are working very hard to earn a chance to play at the next level. They are both also great kids. This person has no idea what kind of kids they are. I don't know what radio station this is, but I hope to find out and file a complaint. I was told he made the statement that he would probably get reprimanded for his comments. I hope he gets more than that. There is no place in public radio for a man that puts down kids.

I think we should look at all our actions at football games. Most of the time when you have something happen with a kid you can look at the adults and see why. These are kids and kids do what they see their peers do we should all do better at all sporting events.

I'm not saying that the announcer was right but he does have the right to give his opinion that does not make it right for the way he has done that. He should tell whats going on and his thoughts be needs to be thinking about the kids when he speaks.

I just wanted to answer a couple of questions on this topic. The broadcast was listened to by some of the Collinwood fans while they were still in Chapel Hill. One of the ones that heard the comments was the School Resource Officer. I talked to him this morning and he confirmed some of the comments. I will not say on this board anything else this announcer stated. He was out of line in my opinion. I can also assure all of you that are assuming the kids were acting this way on the field that it is just not true. Both of these kids are great kids and don't have to display that kind of attitude to get noticed. It's a case of the announcer being unhappy because Collinwood came back and won the game. There is no excuse for him berating the players he did.

Posted by vic:

I just wanted to answer a couple of questions on this topic. The broadcast was listened to by some of the Collinwood fans while they were still in Chapel Hill. One of the ones that heard the comments was the School Resource Officer. I talked to him this morning and he confirmed some of the comments. I will not say on this board anything else this announcer stated. He was out of line in my opinion. I can also assure all of you that are assuming the kids were acting this way on the field that it is just not true. Both of these kids are great kids and don't have to display that kind of attitude to get noticed. It's a case of the announcer being unhappy because Collinwood came back and won the game. There is no excuse for him berating the players he did.

I agree with you that he should not have berated the kids. But he does have the right to state his opinion and that was done poorly.

I don't know the situation, and really don't care too. I do think that sometimes the athletes are classless on the fields and maybe somebody needs to point it out. There is NO place in athletics for the taunting, cussing, fighting, ect. Maybe the kids involved were not showing class. Maybe some parents need to take note of what was going on. Again I am simply specualting and don't knwo the situation.

vic, I completely agree with you. These are high school games played by high school kids. Radio announcers should not editorialize. If my son does something inappropriate, his coach will deal with it and I will deal with it at home. What did the announcer hope to accomplish?

vic,

As is usually the case, it looks like a case of sour grapes. They can't beat you so they try to run you down.

[Edited by Bighurt on 9-24-02 10:22A]

Announcers make many mistakes, just like coaches, players, parents, and fans! They are human... having said that, there job (part time or full time) is to state what is happening on the field so that the people at home can get a "feel" for what is taking place. The play-by-play announcer does just that, he calls the formation, movement, action, ball-carrier, down and distance (etc.); whereas the "color" commentator is there to add life to the game. He is there to make comments about the game, so to that end, he may have been doing a part of his job. Having said that, I don't think any announcer should degrade a team, player, coach, or school, but of course, we don't know what was said and in what context it was said.

High School Athletics is still all about the athletes. It is different from college and pro ball, in that, these young men (and to a certain extent most of the coaches and volunteers) are doing this without pay or compensation. In other words, it is amateur athletics. Parents become irate at coaches for losing games, they show up drunk in the stands, call their own kids names I wouldn't call my dog, and act very unsportsmanlike at every game. Players get excited about a big region win and sometimes do things that the other teams think is tasteless or in poor sportsmanship. The fact is we are all human, and we do stupid things. Sometimes I make a bad call, so do the officials, and so do the players. We are all human! So to say that an announcer had a lapse in judgement and made some stupid comments that he might like to retract now seems normal! Let's drop the subject and move on! :D

[Edited by ELA on 9-24-02 10:25A]

Posted by dandy82:
Posted by dandy82:

There's no place or time in high school athletics where a kid needs to be run down. Adults should know better. :( The attitude of mrorange is at best moronic. Be glad he is a fan of another team. I also feel sorry for his kids. How would you like to live with someone with his attitude. :D

I wasn`t implying the guy was right. You made the comment about having to live with this man at home. I was merely pointing out that I would rather live with someone who told me when I was acting classless than with someone who felt compelled to start throwing objects across the house in order to make a point. This is kind of a tongue in cheek reference to those who were defending the coach who hit the kid with a helmet in the lockerroom. Neither was right, yet many people were defending the coach. People are calling for the announcers job, yet they weren`t calling for the coaches job. :confused:

I don't think the two are related. While there is no excuse for throwing a helmet as a motovational tool, I don't believe he was trying to harm his player.Both were bad judgements. For those who would defend one and chastise the other, shame on them. I don't believe either should lose their job.

Hey Vic,

I don't blame you at all for being upset and I have to admit that some of the people on this board worry me. At NO TIME is it an A.M. radio announcers place to make ANY call about a players character no matter WHAT they think their roll is to the listeners. You don't hear ANY professional announcers say things negative about specific players and you people all watch plenty of college and professional games. Some of those guys take classless to a different level. I don't blame you at all for wanting to pursue it. Someone else was right about the sour grapes though because when they came to Collinwood last year they left crying about OUR p.a. announcer. I think that was just after they had gotten their tails whipped pretty handily. Just hang in there. Everyone in Collinwood knows the character of Jacob and Jonathon but I am sure what he said made a big impression on the people of Chapel Hill. Don't worry though, people with a narrow point of view like that need to tell themselves these things to justify their defeats. Try to turn this around and make it positive for the boys, if possible. Good luck Friday night. Talk to you later.

T

P.S.

Crunchy,

How did you get back on here?

[Edited by thelma on 9-24-02 11:30A]