Will Humboldt FINALLY win the State Championship this year?

igloo

The Humboldt Vikings have made going to the State Tournament a tradition for their school as they will be making another trip to Murfreesboro for the 5th time in 6 years. After losing 7 very talented Seniors from last season, there were some people who thought that Humboldt wouldn't be able to maintain the momentum they've had in basketball for the previous five seasons (last year, Humboldt had a record of 33 wins and 0 losses going into State and were the heavy favorites to win it, but they lost to the eventual winner, Manassas, by a buzzer beater in the first round); however, while Humboldt lost 3 starters from the 2009 Senior group, they also kept the other two starters (both of which have had plenty of experience playing on the court, of course). As a FYI, they also lost a lot of height this year, but they still have two tall players. Their other 3 starters for this season include two Sophomores and one Junior... so, the future seasons of Humboldt still look pretty bright :lol: .

My question is: Do you think Humboldt will finally win it all for Class A this year after being in the 'Boro so many times?

I have seen some EXCELLENT teams come up from Class A (i.e., Union City from 2006-2008, Manassas from 2008-2009, Humboldt from 2008-2009, and Lake County from 2008-2009... all of these teams come from West TN and Humboldt, UC, and LC actually play each other in the District and Regionals)... I personally believe that these four teams, in their good seasons listed above, could've contended well in Class AA and POSSIBLY even in Class AAA (but then again, this is ONLY my humble opinion). Their crowds also have large showings at games and some of them, particularly Humboldt's and Union City's, are the most energetic crowds I've ever seen. However, none of them are as good as they used to be, and with three of the teams gone (Union City lost in the Substate round, Lake County got to Regionals, I'm not sure about Manassas), Humboldt has a wide-open shot at winning it, but then again anything can happen.

Humboldt:

2005 - 20 wins, 10 losses; lost to Raleigh Egypt in the 1st round of State (they were AA back then).

2006 - 29 wins, 4 losses; #3 going into State; lost to Grace Baptist in the 2nd round of State.

2007 - 28 wins, 9 losses; lost to Temple by 2 points in the 2nd round of State.

2008 - Did not go to state that year. 26 wins, 7 losses; # 3 in State; lost to eventual State winner (Union City) in the Regional Championships and again lost to the eventual State runner-up (Manassas) at Substate.

2009 - 33 wins, 1 loss; #1 going into State; lost to eventual State winner, Manassas, by a 3-points in the 1st round.

2010 - thus far: 25 wins, 6 losses; currently ranked #3 going into State.

Hopefully Humboldt can win it all this year... they've had a lot of PROMISING teams that could've won it in the past, there should hardly be any reason to not win it this year. I want to read your comments and observations :lol:. Oh, and as one last interesting fact: if Humboldt had won it all last year, then it would've been the 2nd year in a row for a Class A team to win the State Tournament with an undefeated season (in 2008, Union City won it with a record of 37-0).

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Humboldt Vikings have made going to the State Tournament a tradition for their school as they will be making another trip to Murfreesboro for the 5th time in 6 years. After losing 7 very talented Seniors from last season, there were some people who thought that Humboldt wouldn't be able to maintain the momentum they've had in basketball for the previous five seasons (last year, Humboldt had a record of 33 wins and 0 losses going into State and were the heavy favorites to win it, but they lost to the eventual winner, Manassas, by a buzzer beater in the first round); however, while Humboldt lost 3 starters from the 2009 Senior group, they also kept the other two starters (both of which have had plenty of experience playing on the court, of course). As a FYI, they also lost a lot of height this year, but they still have two tall players. Their other 3 starters for this season include two Sophomores and one Junior... so, the future seasons of Humboldt still look pretty bright :lol: .

My question is: Do you think Humboldt will finally win it all for Class A this year after being in the 'Boro so many times?

I have seen some EXCELLENT teams come up from Class A (i.e., Union City from 2006-2008, Manassas from 2008-2009, Humboldt from 2008-2009, and Lake County from 2008-2009... all of these teams come from West TN and Humboldt, UC, and LC actually play each other in the District and Regionals)... I personally believe that these four teams, in their good seasons listed above, could've contended well in Class AA and POSSIBLY even in Class AAA (but then again, this is ONLY my humble opinion). Their crowds also have large showings at games and some of them, particularly Humboldt's and Union City's, are the most energetic crowds I've ever seen. However, none of them are as good as they used to be, and with three of the teams gone (Union City lost in the Substate round, Lake County got to Regionals, I'm not sure about Manassas), Humboldt has a wide-open shot at winning it, but then again anything can happen.

Humboldt:

2005 - 20 wins, 10 losses; lost to Raleigh Egypt in the 1st round of State (they were AA back then).

2006 - 29 wins, 4 losses; #3 going into State; lost to Grace Baptist in the 2nd round of State.

2007 - 28 wins, 9 losses; lost to Temple by 2 points in the 2nd round of State.

2008 - Did not go to state that year. 26 wins, 7 losses; # 3 in State; lost to eventual State winner (Union City) in the Regional Championships and again lost to the eventual State runner-up (Manassas) at Substate.

2009 - 33 wins, 1 loss; #1 going into State; lost to eventual State winner, Manassas, by a 3-points in the 1st round.

2010 - thus far: 25 wins, 6 losses; currently ranked #3 going into State.

Hopefully Humboldt can win it all this year... they've had a lot of PROMISING teams that could've won it in the past, there should hardly be any reason to not win it this year. I want to read your comments and observations :lol:. Oh, and as one last interesting fact: if Humboldt had won it all last year, then it would've been the 2nd year in a row for a Class A team to win the State Tournament with an undefeated season (in 2008, Union City won it with a record of 37-0).

I do think that HBT will have a great chance to win the Gold! Why because 1a is on a level playing field this year. Other than Westwood HBt has played a tougher schedule this year and that has helped them alot. HBt is in the best District in the State in 1A. When UC,LC and HBt and throw in Peabody are playing up to their capablities it is very tough! HBT is playing well as a team at the right time! Boykin as done a good job with the young team! No excuces throw youth out now they have 31 games under their belts! Campbell and Dunbar have been there and know what to except! HBt just needs to keep feeding the big boys inside and they will be ok! Brooks has be quite and i look for him to explode and that will open up the inside more! This is imo only they may loss in the first round! If they win the Gold this could be the first of many! HBT Middle School won the Small School Tourament and WTAC Championship beating two good Memphis teams to win it! Good Luck to HBT bring home the Gold! :lol:

I hope you all are right... and yes, Humboldt has been one of the best basketball teams in TN for the past 6 or 7 years. It should be about time for us to win State :bored:.

Westwood will beat Humboldt!!!

another 1st round exit for the Vikes!!!

not even a silver ball for the vikes!!!

WOW, he posted twice!! Well, we will see tomorrow, if you are right I'll be the first to say so just like last year. What do you have for a final score? I will say Humboldt by 10, Humboldt 70 westwood 60!

I just sat back and read everything the Humboldt fans said about Westwood. Today I said let me join this board because they all will see today. Everybody just saw what I was thinking. The T$$AA just lost a ton of money with the Vikes and thousands of fans loading up the pacer.

Its Over 68-50 Westwood!!!!

If Humboldt doesn't win it this year something is wrong, very wrong........Humboldt is easily the most talented team in Single A.....Get another one for 14A.......Good luck Vikings!!

TreeFitty74 (and others with answers),

Probably like a whole bunch of BB fans, I'm very curious...

Since Humboldt failed to win it all (AGAIN), what exactly do you think the problem is -- what in the heck is "wrong, very wrong" @ Humboldt? :thumb:

If Humboldt doesn't win it this year something is wrong, very wrong........Humboldt is easily the most talented team in Single A.....Get another one for 14A.......Good luck Vikings!!

TreeFitty74 (and others with answers),

Probably like a whole bunch of BB fans, I'm very curious...

Since Humboldt failed to win it all (AGAIN), what exactly do you think the problem is -- what in the heck is "wrong, very wrong" @ Humboldt? :thumb:

Coaching....

It's the only constant....

seems that nothing has changed. coached against humboldt for 5 years and always felt we had a chance if my (much less athletic/talented) kids could handle the pressure and REBOUND we could win and we did win 3 times out of about 12 or 13 times.... no way we shouldve won any. They're man to man defense is horrible (rely mainly on their zone traps and their ability to out athlete you) and at the state tourney level you must be able to play solid man to win . They did get screwed last year in the first round match-up (two best teams vs. each other) but honestly they shouldve had two, if not three Gold Balls prior to last year anyway. One thing is certian, they'll never be short of athletes and will make a run at it pretty much every year.