McMinn Central -vs- Gibson County for AA State Championship

blitzinbuc

Good answer! woodvegas; first timeout at 4:42 left in the third....up 12, second timeout with 3:36 left in the third,still up 9,television announcers comment at 3:10 left in the third,"McMinn's trying to slow things down", score 46-37.I thought that M.C.'s aggressiveness in attacking G.C.'s press was the key factor in gaining a 19 point advantage to begin with, but they ratcheted up the pressure another notch.I would not envy anyone trying to slow the game down against that kind of agressive trapping defense,it's designed to speed up the game and force lateral passes,which it did.Put the same teams in the same cirmstances 10 more times,and I'm not sure how many more times G.C. comes back to win,if any,but the fact remains that they did it when they had to. Like I said before,My hats off to both teams for the awesome efforts and refuse to lose attitudes demonstrated,it's truly a shame that there had to be only one winner,Iwont even use the L**** word. :thumb:

Here's a quote from McMinn's coach after the Westview game..."During timeouts in games like that, we don't make adjustments. The only thing I know is to tell them to keep fighting," said McMinn Central coach Johnny Morgan.

Hmmmm, he might want to rethink that strategy.

I guess my point is this...Do you believe there is such a thing as a team choking? If you do then how many points does a team have to be ahead in the 3rd quarter and end up losing before you apply the choke label...15...20...25??? It's just my opinion and other people may have a different one but this falls into my choke category...sorry.

Just curious, but do you have a vendetta against Coach Morgan, or McMinn Central, in general? Otherwise, your comments are inappropriate on a board frequented by many HS players.We are talking kids, not adults. My guess is that you are one of the kids, too. Otherwise, you would not post as you have.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is to woodvegas on your post about the coach choking.. i had no idea that you coached and you have been to 11 state tourneys and that you have been to championship game.. please inform me your techniques.. so really what i am trying to say is shutup yes thats your opinion and no cares about it.... both teams played outstanding and they were very good and the coaches were outstanding so just layoff on the coach morgan.. you have no idea how much pressure was on him..

Let me get this straight...He has been to the state tourney 11 times but has never won a championship??? I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.

If you want a study in success I suggest you review the state tourney results over the last 25 years of the AA district which contains Livingston Academy, Upperman, Cannon Co., and York all of which have won a state championship. Also, I believe Jackson Co. was in that district until they moved down to single A.

Good answer! woodvegas; first timeout at 4:42 left in the third....up 12, second timeout with 3:36 left in the third,still up 9,television announcers comment at 3:10 left in the third,"McMinn's trying to slow things down", score 46-37.I thought that M.C.'s aggressiveness in attacking G.C.'s press was the key factor in gaining a 19 point advantage to begin with, but they ratcheted up the pressure another notch.I would not envy anyone trying to slow the game down against that kind of agressive trapping defense,it's designed to speed up the game and force lateral passes,which it did.Put the same teams in the same cirmstances 10 more times,and I'm not sure how many more times G.C. comes back to win,if any,but the fact remains that they did it when they had to. Like I said before,My hats off to both teams for the awesome efforts and refuse to lose attitudes demonstrated,it's truly a shame that there had to be only one winner,Iwont even use the L**** word. :angry:

Here's a quote from McMinn's coach after the Westview game..."During timeouts in games like that, we don't make adjustments. The only thing I know is to tell them to keep fighting," said McMinn Central coach Johnny Morgan.

I guess my point is this...Do you believe there is such a thing as a team choking? If you do then how many points does a team have to be ahead in the 3rd quarter and end up losing before you apply the choke label...15...20...25??? It's just my opinion and other people may have a different one but this falls into my choke category...sorry.

Just curious, but do you have a vendetta against Coach Morgan, or McMinn Central, in general? Otherwise, your comments are inappropriate on a board frequented by many HS players.We are talking kids, not adults. My guess is that you are one of the kids, too. Otherwise, you would not post as you have.

I have no problem with the coach or his team whatsoever. I certainly respect their accomplishments. I simply stated my opinion about this one particular game and it touched a sensitive nerve or two leading me to defend my position. It's possible that there was absolutely nothing that could have been done to change the outcome of the game but I find that hard to believe. What's the purpose of a sports message board if you can't question strategy?

this is to woodvegas on your post about the coach choking.. i had no idea that you coached and you have been to 11 state tourneys and that you have been to championship game.. please inform me your techniques.. so really what i am trying to say is shutup yes thats your opinion and no cares about it.... both teams played outstanding and they were very good and the coaches were outstanding so just layoff on the coach morgan.. you have no idea how much pressure was on him..

Let me get this straight...He has been to the state tourney 11 times but has never won a championship??? I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.

If you want a study in success I suggest you review the state tourney results over the last 25 years of the AA district which contains Livingston Academy, Upperman, Cannon Co., and York all of which have won a state championship. Also, I believe Jackson Co. was in that district until they moved down to single A.

District 8AA or used to be 7AA did include Jackson Co. till they went down to Single A where they now dominate there district and give a problem or beat most of the AA schools they played including splitting with Livingston. As for the past AA tournements im sure if you look back you will find that 13AA has had their fair share of teams in the tourny as well. Being from Livingston I have had the chance to see both teams in this years champ game play before and I follow how there seasons go. We have had to play MC in sub state games several times and they have always as far as i can remember been really close one way or another. MC is the team that 8AA always hopes gets upset in the regional Champ game so our loser dont have to travel there. Its a hard place to go play on your best night. And id sure hate to draw them first round of the state tourny, it could ver easly make for a 1 and done. As for GC i didnt know much about them till tourny time last year when LA had to play them for the title. Butler sure can play and proved that to LA in a hurry last year. I wish her the best at UTM, im sure ill hear more about her as time goes on. In the past two years they have a overall record of 70 wins and 1 loss thats amazing to me. It wouldnt suprise me to see both back next year playing for another ball. Congrads to both on a great season that come done to the final seconds to see who would be Champs.

Oh and btw Upperman has never won a State Title according to the TSSAA website.

District 8AA or used to be 7AA did include Jackson Co. till they went down to Single A where they now dominate there district and give a problem or beat most of the AA schools they played including splitting with Livingston. As for the past AA tournements im sure if you look back you will find that 13AA has had their fair share of teams in the tourny as well. Being from Livingston I have had the chance to see both teams in this years champ game play before and I follow how there seasons go. We have had to play MC in sub state games several times and they have always as far as i can remember been really close one way or another. MC is the team that 8AA always hopes gets upset in the regional Champ game so our loser dont have to travel there. Its a hard place to go play on your best night. And id sure hate to draw them first round of the state tourny, it could ver easly make for a 1 and done. As for GC i didnt know much about them till tourny time last year when LA had to play them for the title. Butler sure can play and proved that to LA in a hurry last year. I wish her the best at UTM, im sure ill hear more about her as time goes on. In the past two years they have a overall record of 70 wins and 1 loss thats amazing to me. It wouldnt suprise me to see both back next year playing for another ball. Congrads to both on a great season that come done to the final seconds to see who would be Champs.

Oh and btw Upperman has never won a State Title according to the TSSAA website.

I assume you are correct about Upperman although I think they have at least played in the finals. I was relying on my sometimes faulty memory and did not check the TSSAA website to confirm my assertion about Upperman which I should have done. In any event, teams from that district have played in the state finals many times with several championships.

I have no problem with the coach or his team whatsoever. I certainly respect their accomplishments. I simply stated my opinion about this one particular game and it touched a sensitive nerve or two leading me to defend my position. It's possible that there was absolutely nothing that could have been done to change the outcome of the game but I find that hard to believe. What's the purpose of a sports message board if you can't question strategy?

Most of the time when the label "choker" is used, it is done by someone with an axe to grind. Most of the time, a team does not choke, but is beaten by a better team. If you want to talk about choking, then I would refer you to the undefeated Patriots against the Giants, a wild card team. In HS sports, it would be Maryville's football team losing to Greenback in the first round. For a team to lose to the undefeated returning state champs, it is not choking. I also agree with the strategy of keeping th pedal to the metal when ahead. I seem to recall other teams in professional sports playing a "prevent" defense, only to see the lead vanish and their team lose. Given this history, I will never fault a coach for playing the way that is working, and making adjustments when the score is the opposite.

Most of the time when the label "choker" is used, it is done by someone with an axe to grind. Most of the time, a team does not choke, but is beaten by a better team. If you want to talk about choking, then I would refer you to the undefeated Patriots against the Giants, a wild card team. In HS sports, it would be Maryville's football team losing to Greenback in the first round. For a team to lose to the undefeated returning state champs, it is not choking. I also agree with the strategy of keeping th pedal to the metal when ahead. I seem to recall other teams in professional sports playing a "prevent" defense, only to see the lead vanish and their team lose. Given this history, I will never fault a coach for playing the way that is working, and making adjustments when the score is the opposite.

Even great players/teams/coaches choke from time to time. Take Peyton Manning for instance. He has choked in some of his playoff/championship games but is still one of the best QB's of all time. It just happens sometimes. It does not mean you are lousy or have some sort of character flaw.

Personally, I find it hard to defend a strategy that didn't work. Sometimes you have to change or adjust your strategy as the game unfolds before it is too late.

Even great players/teams/coaches choke from time to time. Take Peyton Manning for instance. He has choked in some of his playoff/championship games but is still one of the best QB's of all time. It just happens sometimes. It does not mean you are lousy or have some sort of character flaw.

Personally, I find it hard to defend a strategy that didn't work. Sometimes you have to change or adjust your strategy as the game unfolds before it is too late.

I am not sure you were there at the game...but I was. Basketball is a game of "runs" usually, and Central went on a run vs Westview of 30 to 6, I didn't feel Westview "choked" as you refer, Central just played flawless basketball. In the Championship game, Central went on a big run to get up by 19, I sure didn't see Gibson "choke" during that run. They did catch fire and went on a run of there own, hitting NBA threes and caught Central. The game ended as I felt the game would end, a less than 5 point difference between the two teams. I saw two teams leave it all on the floor with great effort and Both teams represented their schools and Districts with class, no choking, as you seem to feel. Gibson is a great team as is Central, which made for a fantastic Championship game.