McMinn Central -vs- Gibson County for AA State Championship

blitzinbuc

Both played extremely well. Both are extremely well coached. Butler is a steal for UTM. I was also impressed with Adams. The freshman Massengil...is a player. Gibson was 13-13 at the line. Butler just took over the game in the 2nd half. It's too bad one team had to lose this game.

I don't see how both teams played at the pace they did without subbing. 6 players played for GC...and only 7 for MC.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it was a great game but to be ahead by 19 points in the 3rd quarter and then lose is a major choke and/or coaching failure.

Extreme effort by both teams.G.C. run to start,big M.C. run 2'nd &3'rd,big G.C. run to close the gap to single digits, great game to close by BOTH! Someone has to lose,unfortunatly.Also unfortunate that someone feels the need to apply the "CHOKER" label to players and/or coaches who in my opinion just gave a preformance to be proud of. The effort was there,the game plan was superb,from my point of view anyway,and the last thing that they need after falling short on a yearlong dream that barely eluded them, is some YAHOO yelling choke at them from the bleachers! Just for kicks, 'coach woodvegas, want to validate your post by giving us YOUR gameplan? :thumb: P.S. MY hats off to both teams, thanks ladies,I'll remember that one for years!

Sounds like it was a great game but to be ahead by 19 points in the 3rd quarter and then lose is a major choke and/or coaching failure.

I don't think it was a choke or a failure. Central held Butler to less than 10 in the first half. She just got her rythem in the second half. She only had 28 for the game.

This was a great game and the 20-30 point predictions were off a little, in fact it was a game featuring #1 and#2 and lived up to what I posted yesterday. This game turned out to be Mcminn's game to lose, with a 19 point lead they took several ill advised shot, some 3's and others heavily contested without running the clock. With a player like Butler and a team like GC you can't give the opprotunities they got tonite. GC did what they needed to do to win and you could see the momentum changing and GC was good enough to take advantage.

Extreme effort by both teams.G.C. run to start,big M.C. run 2'nd &3'rd,big G.C. run to close the gap to single digits, great game to close by BOTH! Someone has to lose,unfortunatly.Also unfortunate that someone feels the need to apply the "CHOKER" label to players and/or coaches who in my opinion just gave a preformance to be proud of. The effort was there,the game plan was superb,from my point of view anyway,and the last thing that they need after falling short on a yearlong dream that barely eluded them, is some YAHOO yelling choke at them from the bleachers! Just for kicks, 'coach woodvegas, want to validate your post by giving us YOUR gameplan? :thumb: P.S. MY hats off to both teams, thanks ladies,I'll remember that one for years!

Sure...if I'm ahead by 19 in the 3rd quarter and the other team starts to make a run I'm going to call a timeout then slow the game down and play four corners if I have to. I would do whatever it took to keep the championship game from slipping away from me.

WOW! I'm still in shock, no joke! McMinn Central is a GREAT team and has nothing to be ashamed of. You guys definately came to play today and you shot the ball extremely well in that first half. #11 is definately a player and she hurt us several times today whether it was her posting one of our girls up or beating us back down the court. With what McMinn has returning next year, they are definately the favorites for the state championship. You guys seem to have alot of class and you have great talent to go with it. Congrats to you guys on a great season!

CONGRATS TO GC ON BACK TO BACK STATE CHAMPS!!!!! Butler absolutely went nuts in that second half and was not going to let her team lose. This game reminded me of the Milan/GC game back in 2008 (Butler's Sophomore year) for the region championship. We were down by 20 in the second half, nevertheless Butler DOMINATED that second half as well and finished the game with 32 points and allowed GC to host a sub-state game against Booker T. Washington. Butler is absolutely AMAZING with what she does!

Well folks, in my opinion we saw the two best teams play for the AA championship tonight. MC gave Gibson Co. all they wanted, and was the only team in this this tournament on the same caliber. I said in my earlier post, that MC would give Gibson Co. problems due to their size and they did. MC has nothing to be ashamed of. Their team came to compete and play. That # 11 is a "player" (forgot her name). She killed us in the first half, but when Gibson Co and Coach Russell made the adjusments @ half, and after that time out, it was a different game. The changes he made on the press made the difference. Gibson Co. started forcing turnovers and cutting into the lead. We also had other players that stepped up BIG TIME! WE ONLY PLAYED 6 and MC I think Played 7!! Amazing! I have seen Butler play for 8 years including middle school, and she is the most unselfish players I have ever known, and one of the nicest young ladies you will ever meet. (trust me I know her well) :thumb: The thing about the last 2 years are theses girls are coachable and Butler knows how to lead a team and take a team on her back if neccessary. 93 points for a tournament record! She is my "miss basketball" in my opinion when you bring your team to the state tournamnet 3 times and win 2 Gold Championship Balls! Thats a discussion for another thread. Congratualtions to both teams for providing the best game of the entire tournament.

Gibson Co. thanks for bringing the Gold Ball back again to West Tennessee! :thumb:

Sure...if I'm ahead by 19 in the 3rd quarter and the other team starts to make a run I'm going to call a timeout then slow the game down and play four corners if I have to. I would do whatever it took to keep the championship game from slipping away from me.

Didn't work so well for Westview the day before did it??