McMinn Central -vs- Gibson County for AA State Championship

blitzinbuc

I assume you are correct about Upperman although I think they have at least played in the finals. I was relying on my sometimes faulty memory and did not check the TSSAA website to confirm my assertion about Upperman which I should have done. In any event, teams from that district have played in the state finals many times with several championships.

Upperman Lost to Gleason 48-43 in the '99 Class A Championship game.

Upperman lost to Jackson Co.(same district) 46-42 in the '01 Class AA Championship. :thumb:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the time when the label "choker" is used, it is done by someone with an axe to grind. Most of the time, a team does not choke, but is beaten by a better team. If you want to talk about choking, then I would refer you to the undefeated Patriots against the Giants, a wild card team. In HS sports, it would be Maryville's football team losing to Greenback in the first round. For a team to lose to the undefeated returning state champs, it is not choking. I also agree with the strategy of keeping th pedal to the metal when ahead. I seem to recall other teams in professional sports playing a "prevent" defense, only to see the lead vanish and their team lose. Given this history, I will never fault a coach for playing the way that is working, and making adjustments when the score is the opposite.

Even great players/teams/coaches choke from time to time. Take Peyton Manning for instance. He has choked in some of his playoff/championship games but is still one of the best QB's of all time. It just happens sometimes. It does not mean you are lousy or have some sort of character flaw.

Personally, I find it hard to defend a strategy that didn't work. Sometimes you have to change or adjust your strategy as the game unfolds before it is too late.

I am not sure you were there at the game...but I was. Basketball is a game of "runs" usually, and Central went on a run vs Westview of 30 to 6, I didn't feel Westview "choked" as you refer, Central just played flawless basketball. In the Championship game, Central went on a big run to get up by 19, I sure didn't see Gibson "choke" during that run. They did catch fire and went on a run of there own, hitting NBA threes and caught Central. The game ended as I felt the game would end, a less than 5 point difference between the two teams. I saw two teams leave it all on the floor with great effort and Both teams represented their schools and Districts with class, no choking, as you seem to feel. Gibson is a great team as is Central, which made for a fantastic Championship game.

I'm not saying it wasn't a great game...it was! Both teams were very good. I could have cared less who won the game. It is usually easier to be objective and unbiased when you are not a fan of either team. I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong, I'm just stating my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Most of the time when the label "choker" is used, it is done by someone with an axe to grind. Most of the time, a team does not choke, but is beaten by a better team. If you want to talk about choking, then I would refer you to the undefeated Patriots against the Giants, a wild card team. In HS sports, it would be Maryville's football team losing to Greenback in the first round. For a team to lose to the undefeated returning state champs, it is not choking. I also agree with the strategy of keeping th pedal to the metal when ahead. I seem to recall other teams in professional sports playing a "prevent" defense, only to see the lead vanish and their team lose. Given this history, I will never fault a coach for playing the way that is working, and making adjustments when the score is the opposite.

Even great players/teams/coaches choke from time to time. Take Peyton Manning for instance. He has choked in some of his playoff/championship games but is still one of the best QB's of all time. It just happens sometimes. It does not mean you are lousy or have some sort of character flaw.

Personally, I find it hard to defend a strategy that didn't work. Sometimes you have to change or adjust your strategy as the game unfolds before it is too late.

I am not sure you were there at the game...but I was. Basketball is a game of "runs" usually, and Central went on a run vs Westview of 30 to 6, I didn't feel Westview "choked" as you refer, Central just played flawless basketball. In the Championship game, Central went on a big run to get up by 19, I sure didn't see Gibson "choke" during that run. They did catch fire and went on a run of there own, hitting NBA threes and caught Central. The game ended as I felt the game would end, a less than 5 point difference between the two teams. I saw two teams leave it all on the floor with great effort and Both teams represented their schools and Districts with class, no choking, as you seem to feel. Gibson is a great team as is Central, which made for a fantastic Championship game.

I'm not saying it wasn't a great game...it was! Both teams were very good. I could have cared less who won the game. It is usually easier to be objective and unbiased when you are not a fan of either team. I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong, I'm just stating my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

I do not understand why you posted such an accusation then. Which team are you a fan of?

I do not understand why you posted such an accusation then. Which team are you a fan of?

Not an accusation...just an opinion. There is nothing wrong with questioning a coach's strategy. Dude, it's time to let it go. I have nothing further to add.

You are correct, OldSchoolCharger. Neither team choked in that championship game. It was a nailbiter until the end! I wonder sometimes when I read certain posts if the person writing has ever played or coached sports.

I might add that the Chargerettes had a phenomenal year, losing to three very good teams. What's amazing to me is that it was a tossup whether they would even win their district this year after graduating some great Seniors off last year's squad - yet here they play for the state championship game this year and made the heavily-favored Gibson County squad earn the narrow victory.

I might add that the Chargerettes had a phenomenal year, losing to three very good teams. What's amazing to me is that it was a tossup whether they would even win their district this year after graduating some great Seniors off last year's squad - yet here they play for the state championship game this year and made the heavily-favored Gibson County squad earn the narrow victory.

I thought Central was #1 in the Polls?? :?: How could Gibson County be so heavily favored? :thumb:

Congratulations to both teams for giving us the best game of the tournament. Both teams played their hearts out. Thanks Lady Pioneers for the great memories from this year!

• 11 months later...