Early Predictions

orcat

I think having K-2 available will see Knoxville area volleyball surpass Nashville. K-2 offers a level of instruction higher than anything East Tenn has ever seen. We are being embraced by the key programs, and will create more of a parity.

For years ET has been defined by Anderson County and to some degree Farragut. With K-2 you will see other schools like Catholic; Hardin Valley and Bearden start to excell.

I don't think the move to AAA will impact either AC or Catholic. They are too well coached and well established. AC has been better than the area AAA teams for years, and Catholic has overtaken Farragut as number #2.

AC had an odd year last season. They started 4 freshman and something had to be going on for the coach to resign. They have been in AAA before, so for them I see no real adjustment.

Karns is the biggest loser with rezoning. This will probably be its last year of being competitive.

Still like the Powell transfer, but am concerned if she is being used the right way!

Edited by K2ruth

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think having K-2 available will see Knoxville area volleyball surpass Nashville. K-2 offers a level of instruction higher than anything East Tenn has ever seen. We are being embraced by the key programs, and will create more of a parity.

For years ET has been defined by Anderson County and to some degree Farragut. With K-2 you will see other schools like Catholic; Hardin Valley and Bearden start to excell.

I don't think the move to AAA will impact either AC or Catholic. They are too well coached and well established. AC has been better than the area AAA teams for years, and Catholic has overtaken Farragut as number #2.

Karns is the biggest loser with rezoning. This will probably be its last year of being competitive.

Still like the Powell transfer, but am concerned if she is being used the right way!

VCD certainly has a very perceptive post, one which gets to business pretty quickly. That soccer child must be playing volleyball or a second one. Your answer is one which I would expect. The teams which came in to Middle certainly were well schooled. You are to be congradulated.

You, first, have to get everybody together and put together from your schoools and its obvious there is a ong way to go to do that.

Your perception about Anderson and Catholic is right on line. Their tradition will not let them be any other way.

Farragut and Karnes are athletic and until the other schools start getting athletic girls to play, they will be behind. it sometimes make one think that OR has too much competition internally for the same athletes. When all of this will happen, it won't overnight. But a strong 3 and 4 is needed. VCD is also right about where the power centers are in the State but he missed a couple. Add Memphis with Colierville and Houston and a couple of schools there are going to have to big time step up, any volunteers. The D2 schools would be good but thats another story. That would be one whale of a battle. DB just has a good program and will always compete and Sullivan South could be good but their seems to be not much desire than to be DB runnerup in district. jackson is making noise but seems to need some technical help in places and those that have perceived the same will get it done. District 11 has all of the infrastructre in place and the leadeership and great clubs. All of these Districts will NOT give up their spot easily ande keep adding extremely good coaches and adding to their techniques.Its unsure anyone in 3 and 4 can pull the schools together for an effort you describe.

Good post PH. We have been here for a few years now, and K-2 has really taken off. I think having a top flight club makes a big difference, but I also agree with some of the other posters that a great high school program take more.

East TN has had 2 big time programs over the years, Anderson County and Sullivan South. Good teams will come along, Karns and DB had them last year, but those are usually driven by having a loaded squad with a couple of super stars. Those teams are really helped by club participation.

Most of the posters on here seem to be parents who are only really around for 4 or 5 years, and don't look beyond their daughters team. That is why what Brentwood, Anderson County, Father Ryan and a handful of other schools have done is so impressive.

Staying local for a minute, Karns and DB last year are really good examples of the effect of a couple of talented players, and a team with alot of club training. Neither schools have alot of volleyball tradition. Last year they had fantastic seasons, and could beat anybody. DB in fact did. It is hard to win a state championship at the high school level. One bad night, or an injury, and you are done. Karns and DB had the best players in ET, and they were well trained from club, and had good years. What happens when they don'y have the best players? Can they still be competitve?

A great program will still be good when the talent (or height) is way down.

Locally, Anderson County has dominated and they have done it with inferior talent, and little club partipation. Why, because they have great coaching and they support volleyball like most schools support football. They also keep a good mix of older more experienced coaches, and young energetic coaches. They also have a plan.

We work with almost every school in the greater Knoxville area. We have also been involved in volleyball in other places. I have never witnessed a high school program that is run so well. They are at a level of administration beyond most small colleges. They don't always have the most talent, and what they run is pretty basic, but when it comes time to win or lose they usually win.

From listening to the K-2 girls that play there it is apparent that they are taught competition skills at a big time level. I got to know several of their players 3 or 4 years ago when they lost to GB in the state finals. That year I felt AC and GB had the 2 best teams at any classification, AAA, AA or private. They were not big, and again their offense was pretty basic, but they attacked the game like nothing I had ever seen. When I got to know the girls I learned that they spent ALOT of time being prepared, and being motivated, to play like champions.

That can't be taught in club, because we only have the girls for a year and they come from too many different schools. Brentwood, AC, Ryan etc, know how to prepare. Add an elite club program like K-2 to the mix and the sky is the limit.

I think Catholic has it figured out. They are closing the ranks on AC and have passed Farragut as Knoxville's premiere team. Like AC, last year they didn't have the athletes, but were still competitve.

AC and Catholic will be fun to watch this year. They are young, and don't have the experience of a Karns, but it wouldn't surprise me if both beat Karns.

The year after Karns won't be discussed. AC and Catholic will.

And thats the K2ruth

What you say is somewhat correct and for a high school to build a program is not easy but when its done right, a school can look four to five years down the road and see who is still in the pipeline, who has developed and who hasn't but club, it seems to me, is the same way. To market club, you find a base group of schools with coaches who can attract athletes from the 12-17 age level and structure a club program that can satisfy every need that could exist. The Club manager will never be able to to do that with every one he/she contacts because personalities will not allow it. But the question will be ultimately, is the club manager sharp enough to find how to help a total school team to win. And you win in many ways. Its not unlike being a consultant to a school during a school year and being able to fill the individual needs during the club year. Both are motivational needs. Someone who is good at that will fill the needs of the school coach, the parent and player who is looking for some special help and a group of schools who are trying to build a program. One always has to fill in spaces of schools who fill in places that interest has waned or the talent did not exactly work out. The club coach always has situations that can help a school coach do better. You cannot have enough people on staff to take care of every situation if you are a school coach and motivational wise they likely are people who have helped in the past. You may be that type person and IMO the Coach at Karnes is that type, to the dismay of oracat, because she seems to find ways to help and attract people and has the student/athlete at heart. Do others have that some attraction?? Yes and no. To be realistic, not one person can wear every one of those hats and thats why school coaches might need to "farm out" some of those motivational needs and be a hero for having the sense to do it. Thats the way to build and maintain a school program, IMO, no matter what the sport.

As you might agree, it starts with a Middle School Coach who is perceptive enough and a club coach who is perceptive enough that the student athlete is not going to finish their stint there and the ultimate goal is thru the 12th grade.IMO, those two people have more to do athletically with a student/Athlete than anyone except a parent. The HS coach has to have some interest thru that time although State Rules don't allow it but they do allow he/she to have some input as to who does the job.

So if you are good at working with people from 5th grade up and their Middle and High School ,Coaches and parents, and can motivate kids and are technically sound in your sport, and love to do it. You will have all the business you want. As you can see it is not without risk. but certainly has its rewards.

k2, yours was a good post.

WOW...! what a post...! what is the deal with all the Knoxville area /K2 love? Are you trying to tell us all that Knoxville area volleyball has jumped the whole state as the best? I'm not sure if the rest of us even needs to play the season! Oh wait a second..... the season has yet to start... and untill late Oct. Chattanooga, Tri-Cities, and Middle Tennessee area schools are still the Champions! BTW AC is not the only school to send young ladies on to play at the college level..

No, Knoxville has not jumped the rest of the state, yet.

Knoxville really hasn't had a strong club before K-2. They had a couple of local clubs, but nothing that really gave the level of instruction of what they now have. Lifetime club memberships; 1 on 1 instruction; and college level teaching at all levels. Knoxville has never had this service before.

More important, K-2 wants to work habd in hand with the high school teams. Again, never happened before.

In years past the regions best program had little club participation. Now all of the teams locally can play club. The old clubs were constantly at odds with the high schools. That does not happen at K-2.

Give us a couple of seasons and look out!

And that is the K-2ruth :thumb:

Really impressive but most words are. The devil is in the details and takes committment from two parties. Sustainability is the real issue and the interest and whether you can prove you can produce in the time span you have set out for yourself. Its possible but will take some heavy duty subscribers to make it work. As Fractious as the patrons are, I'm not sure of the comittment. Another issue would be how well one club can provide a one stop shop service at a very high level and be able to handle all of the personality issues involved. It takes numerous people handling coaches, parents, players, different age groups. It is becoming evident that it is unsure that those teaching club in the State that can find enough teachers capable to provide those very high services without getting tied up right now with "old way of doing things". If its possible, the difference between that and just extra play time issues could be an issue for hard core fans of the sport. Every skill has its normal and advanced areas, many of which haven't been seen or experienced by average HS Coaches. People resist those things they don't know and maybe won't pay for it. Nobody yet has taken the position of teaching coaches nor do I. I doubt it has been asked. Stagnation. A couple of years seems to be very ambitious. You are surely going to have to be able to show concrete facts of performance but hope you are not naive enough that you can't expect competition. There is always someone out there with a better mouse trap and among other things, very good with personal relations with their constituancy. Life time?

Edited by PHargis

We are so excited about news from camps. Karns is on fire; undefeated at all camps.

Several posts talk about changes for Karns that just aren't so this year; We have been confused as to why but time will show what they got.Won't give away the line up but some will be surprised.

tie AC and Karns. I have said before I don't like the Libero switch, and Big Foot the young lady from Powell seems average but not a game changer. I think using the sister of last years setter is a better move. The Powell transfer is 2 years away from being ready to play. I don't agree with BF's assessment. Am I missing something, Is this because she is the coache;s daughter? AC is a differnt team than last year. They hit the ball, and are fantastically athletic. Youth is a concern. They are better athletically and skill wise than Karns, but Karns has the experience.
I agree with that, Karns has 5 returning seniors. They have all improved since last year - and last year recorded 5th in the state with 2 injured players - this year will be one of the strongest in the history of Karns volleyball. The Powell hitter is good; she is a freshman with 4 more years to mature; great for a freshman and not sure why the libero switch rumor started. :huh:

Every team should experience competitive camps to learn from college coaches who see things not always evident and offer ideas that open opportunities for specific levels of talent. It's a beautiful thing when it clicks.

5 sport dad, I don't think I know you? If you agree with orcat I will defend my position. Orcat has a problem with our club because her head coach is director of Smoky Mountain Juniors where we used to coach. I stand by my previous post that club participation is essential to a team becoming better. It is a different day, and the high school can't do what we do in club. I think the proper approach is to work with the high school to help the athlete achieve her highest potential. What is wrong with that?

Why get on here and just attack? You seem upset because your team did well with no club players. That is great, but I expect it was because they had a good class come through. Without club, they are probably back to middle of the pack. Were they back at State the year after those girls graduated?

There are exceptions, as I have noted, but those are few and far between.

Club is here to stay. PH has had some really insightful posts and ideas about how they can work together. Instead of attacking, listen to him.

EAST AGAINST WEST!

Clubs should band together to increase the level of play in East Tennessee. So much energy fighting at each other could be used to pull up the region instead. Let's all support any team from East TN to state. Support Clubs and an increase in players to represent our area.

Announcements