Maryville vs. Bearden

soccah

Very close match. Bearden wins 2-1, benefitting from terrible call at the end of the game when Bearden player fouls Maryville keeper who had ball...followed by a hand ball self pass & score. I suspect video will show clear ref mistake. Maryville had great trouble finishing and missed numerous point blank chances. Seemed to be a better outing for Maryville as they were able to knock it around pretty well, with several players still dribbling too much. What a great venue for a soccer match (Maryville College) complete with Scottish accented announcer at beginning of match. Hope they meet again.

Bearden wins 2-1, benefitting from terrible call at the end of the game when Bearden player fouls Maryville keeper who had ball...followed by a hand ball self pass & score. I suspect video will show clear ref mistake.

I know I won't be able to convince you, but I believe the keeper did not have control of the ball, and it never touched Ben Ferguson's (the Bearden player that scored) hand. If bad calls are the topic, how about the foul called in the box that gave Maryville their only goal from a PK? I admit, Maryville, when they had the ball under control, passed and possessed very well, however that makes no difference in the outcome of the game. Maryville just could not put the ball in the net, without that PK (they had some marvelous oppourtunities, but Bearden keeper Jamie White got big in the box). Bearden had a rough time getting into groove, but when good teams are having a bad game they still find ways to win. I can see another matchup between the two in the future, looking forward to it.

Btw the Maryville fans, I noticed, were so puzzled when the Bearden players would just hold it in the corner to waste time in the last few minutes, but the Maryville players were getting called for the foul. Haha, it happened also at the HVA game too. It's just a smart strategy, not very many ways to get around it.

Maryville fans...let's not complain about the call. We are making our team an easy target when we complain about missed calls and injured players. The call was controversial, but it will not be reversed. Most everyone saw the tape and it made us even more upset, but refs are human and they miss calls, and what in the world could sending in a tape REALLY do anyway? Mike Compton is one of the best refs in the area but he is also human. If we blame games on refs we are not focusing on our own weaknesses, and we are not holding ourselves accountable. There is never going to be an astericks beside this loss to Bearden that says "ref blew call." It will just go down in the books as a loss. Let's move forward and focus on getting better.

As for the game, Maryville had most of the possession but the shot count was rather tight...maybe a slight edge to Maryville but could be wrong. Olif you are right thought... Bearden found a way to hang in there and win the game. Hats off to Bearden on their win tonight.

Maryville lost the game because they couldn't finish multiple point blank scoring opportunities not because of the questionable play. Bearden benefitted from what appeared to be a poor call, which is part of soccer. It was an excellent match; hopefully they will get a chance for a rematch this year.