David Russell retires from Gibson Co...

GCPioneer

Coach David Russell retires from Gibson Co. and will be replaced by former boys coach Michael Hart.

Coach David Russell is one of the most winningest coaches in the entire state of Tennessee. Coach Russell has won six state championships and has over 900 wins.

From the JacksonSun:

Gibson County girls basketball coach David Russell went out on top.

The longtime high school coach retired and will be replaced by the school's boys basketball coach Michael Hart.

"I can't even begin to describe or count the number of great memories from my career," said Russell, who won six state titles as a head coach (five at Bradford and in 2010 at Gibson County). "This season and that particular (championship) game was the culmination of everything."

The Lady Pioneers, with a trio of senior stars, won a second Class AA state championship this season, coming back from a 19-point deficit in the second half.

Russell was an assistant for Kevin McMillan when the school won the title in 2009, its first-ever championship in any sport.

Russell started at Gibson County as head coach in 1999 and became an assistant when McMillan took over before the 2007-08 season. Russell replaced McMillan for a season when he moved on to become the women's basketball coach at UT Martin.

Russell coached at Medina for three years before moving to Bradford for 21. He spent the final 11 years of his 35-year career at Gibson County. He finished with 951 wins and losses somewhere in the 200s (he said he wasn't sure the exact total).

"Everything has to come to an end sometime," Russell said. "This season and tournament are a good time to go out. Not a lot of people get to go out under those circumstances. ... Sometimes your as good as last game you've coached."

Hart was the head boys coach at Gibson County the past two seasons, going 20-30. He will only coach the girls and the school is looking for a new boys coach.

He spent two years as an assistant at Union City, including working with the 2008 undefeated state champions. He said he also played and coached professionally in Europe, Australia and South America after playing at UT Martin.

Hart said that with three young daughters, it was his goal to eventually become a girls coach so he could one day coach his children.

"I definitely jumped on it," Hart said of the opportunity. "It's a great program to take over and step into."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the beat go on at GC now?

Gibson Co. won't be nowhere near as good as they were the past 2 years as everyone probably knows. Next years team will be somewhat young with only 3 Seniors on the whole team. We will return starters Courtney Haynes and Khadijah Alexander who will only be Juniors. We will also return our 6th man from this year, Tori Reedy, for her Sophomore season. The 3 Seniors on the team will be the twins, Kortney and Kelley Tyree, and then Alyssa White who will all most likely see playing time this year. Next year will be interesting in who steps up for Gibson Co. as we won't necessarily have that "superstar" on next years team.

I believe Coach Hart can lead Gibson Co. girls back to the state tournaments. He will have his wife on the bench with him, Christy Hicks Hart, who was a standout basketball player at Gibson Co. back in her day. Also, Nathan Russell (Coach David Russell's son) will be back as an assistant coach this year for the girls.

As I've mentioned before.... our junior highs are pretty stacked with talent in girls basketball right now from the 6th-8th grade. If Gibson Co. drops down to Single A with the addition of South Gibson High School over in Medina, Gibson Co. could be a powerhouse in Single A basketball over the next few years. Imagine Gibson Co. girls basketball in Single A........... :popcorneater:

Will the beat go on at GC now?

Gibson Co. won't be nowhere near as good as they were the past 2 years as everyone probably knows. Next years team will be somewhat young with only 3 Seniors on the whole team. We will return starters Courtney Haynes and Khadijah Alexander who will only be Juniors. We will also return our 6th man from this year, Tori Reedy, for her Sophomore season. The 3 Seniors on the team will be the twins, Kortney and Kelley Tyree, and then Alyssa White who will all most likely see playing time this year. Next year will be interesting in who steps up for Gibson Co. as we won't necessarily have that "superstar" on next years team.

I believe Coach Hart can lead Gibson Co. girls back to the state tournaments. He will have his wife on the bench with him, Christy Hicks Hart, who was a standout basketball player at Gibson Co. back in her day. Also, Nathan Russell (Coach David Russell's son) will be back as an assistant coach this year for the girls.

As I've mentioned before.... our junior highs are pretty stacked with talent in girls basketball right now from the 6th-8th grade. If Gibson Co. drops down to Single A with the addition of South Gibson High School over in Medina, Gibson Co. could be a powerhouse in Single A basketball over the next few years. Imagine Gibson Co. girls basketball in Single A........... :popcorneater:

I am and hope they do..Probably will be the second best team in the area in Single A..at least for those years..!