Qestion for all

Hoopallday

Compusatman, How many girls do you know who have gotten a scholarship that didnt play HS basketball? I cant recall any in my 30 years of watching so i really think AAU helps but my Daughter got a ton more help from her HS Coach than AAU Coach, if you think just playing AAU will get you in College i would re-think that. And yes my Daughter got a full ride. Most all of this is diffrent for each young lady but the only person that will get your Daughter a scholarship is herself.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you BBALL that the ONLY person who is going to get you a scholarship is yourself!! Others might help get a foot in the door but when all is said and done it comes down to one person. Sometimes it is being in the right place at the right time, being seen by the right people. But no matter what, you got to bring your game or watch from the sidelines.

You obviously have a desirable HS coach. You should give thanks. They are not a dime a dozen. And they are not the norm. What if your daughters HS coach told your daughter, "It's not my job to help you get a college scholarship." What if that same coach told your daughter that, "You are not as great as you think you are." What if the coach told the other players to stop giving your daughter the ball...even though for 3 years running she was the leading scorer on the team. What if you didn't practice for the whole Christmas break...much less play in a tournament and then you had a game the day you returned to school. What if sometimes when practice after school is set to begin and the coach announces there will be no practice this evening because I need to spend time with my family. What if that happens on a regular basis. I could go on and on. I am happy for you that your daughter had a wonderful experience in HS. However, there are those that have nothing close. Enough said.

Well it looks like you’re another basher of Volunteer sports.

“I will not waste a day on watching Science Hill play Volunteer unless I have seen a girl in the summer playing against quality competition and really like her. Then I might waste a day on it. College coaches want to see what you do against the best, not what you do against the AA school down the street that has no talent”.

Let me set you straight about Volunteer, we are an AAA team with talent. In 2 short years Coach Myers has developed some of the best players around. Price (last year’s team) received a basketball scholarship, Gilliam (this years team) received a basketball scholarship. Now he is developing Lindholm, one of the best guards in E Tennessee possibly the state. Ever hear of them?

I’m beginning to wonder if you are a recruiter, college coach or any kind of coach at all.

We only lost Gilliam off this year’s team and Myers has groomed a post to replace her. We’re going to kick butt next season! If you have a team why don’t you contact Coach Myers and set up a scrimmage with our girls? I guarantee you it won’t be a wasted day! If you’re afraid to play us then I’ll buy you tickets to Volunteer / Science Hill games this coming season so you can see what basketball really is!

I appreciate the offer but I'll wait to see you play in the Boro at State in 2011. The competition will be good enough there. We can see how your players match up with the DI's there. They are likely good enough but I wouldn't know.

PH, you are a little out in left field on this one. Hoop is a well intentioned AAU coach up here who has done some good things for many girls most with little or no money out of their pocket. Don't really admire his methods or agree with his opinions on the value of school ball, but anyone that devotes the time and effort he does to girls basketball for nothing deserves some appreciation.

And, yes, I think he is actually a small college recruiter, too.

I had figured that this was the case. Some who have posted here have gone thru AAU also but have not had the experiences as hoop but as you might gather from all posting, Hoop is having to post based on his experiences and to go thru that particular situation, that is what he is dealing with. Its his environment but if he is a recruiter, he should understand the other side at least, some. This reminds me of some posts I had with fans of MWest this past season. I am now understanding more of their posts. Ther attitudes of High School exposure and help from Morristown to Science Hill as far as High Schools and coaching, between AAU and High Schools must not be very good. My impression was it was more between AAA schools and AA schools for the big part, ie not many AAA high schools. I can see now that there is more going on in that part of the State than that.

So I doubt Hoops is going to recruit very well except around Tennessee and Science Hill. He likely has little high school support in the other areas.

I am going to have to agree with Hoop that cooperation is part of the answer. Greenville and Greenville Bank does a good job of promoting the Tournament but what was obvious in the region was Schools did not cooperate much in attendance to what was a major Tournament. That part of the State is consumed with something other than great High School or middle School Basketball., Evaluating talent in a situation like that is impossible unless other top schools are played in the state. I now understand why MWest may have thought they had to go clear to Arizona for a Christmas tournament instead of finding one here in the State. and Yes there were some good schools, in State, that played in that event. Just maybe, it would be wise for schools to analyze Girls Basketball in the area. It may be it needs some help. Maybe just trying to depend on a few for AAU support is not the answer. Maybe a group of parents/supporters need to get involved and to support the organization. Certainly coaches would help also. Just finding a few players from an area is not going to make the sport stronger.

Phargis, the problem herein lies in the administration. The Principle tells the AD...we are going to let XYZ English teacher coach girls basketball. It matters not that this person has no basketball intellect whatsoever. All that matters is filling a slot. Economically. Girls basketball makes no money so why waste any effort on it. So they post losing seasons on a regular basis. Even though they may have talent. Talent that at the previous level was stupendous. It's the good ole' boys club and it takes loud voices to change it. Granted the coach is not paid much to do it. And so what happens is the coach puts as much into the project as he gets out in terms of dollars. My point(s) are: Girls need female coaches. The coach should not take the job if the heart is not there. The girls are willing to sacrifice so why can't the coach.

There should be reconciliation but there is not. The worry is for football and nothing else. Football does have reconciliation simply because of the dollar potential. That is why AAU is so vastly important. Ask any Division II/NAIA coach and you will get the same answer. They can't afford to travel to the Division I tournaments to pick their players. So yes, they view high school games to make their choices. These schools cost from 30K-40K per year. A scholarship athlete might get at best 3/4's of that paid for. That leaves the parent footing the same numbers of dollars they would pay for a state university and most times more. The Division I schools do not attend high school games except for the players they have already seen and chosen at the Division I AAU level.

There are great HS coaches out there. There are great programs. But they are not in NET/SWVA. Therefore, in our end of the state a Division I AAU team is their only way out.

As far as a relationship between AAU coaches and HS coaches...it will never get beyond where it is currently. The best thing for Hoopsallday to do is take a job at the HS level and win a few state titles and then move on to college. As far as recruiting for college from his current status...I see no problem with that.

I really see where you are coming from and i follow your post but I don't agree with your methodology. News evidently hasn't gotten thru over there but Womens athletics is hot. Colleges/Universities are having to expand their programs because of so many females playing. Universities can find qualified players. Title 9 is working well. IT IS UP TO THE HIGH SCHOOLS IN THE AREAS TO TRAIN STUDENT ATHLETES NOT ONLY ACADEMICALLY BUT ALSO IN SPORTS. THE WAY YOU ARE APPROACHING IT IS ONLY HALF WAY AND AAU CAN NOT CARRY THE LOAD. iT MAY BE THE BEST AT THIS TIME BUT WILL FALL SHORT. Parents need to expect and require preformance and while AAU is fragmented, great individual players are good but great teams are better because skill sets are learned better together. But all of this is secondary if they can't make the grades. Parents and fans need to join booster clubs at their schools and pool their resources and set goals. Private Schools in your area SEE the lack of organization and committment in each school and the lack of demand for excellence in academics and sports and all of a sudden someone like Hoops gets on this site to tell only his side of the story. Even someone has convinced the Bank down in Green County that something is wrong and even they are trying to generate interest.

There is nothing wrong with Hoops and his AAU but how about looking at the way Kingsport schools do it. How about looking at the school organization, parent and fan support and what I consider great coaching organization which leads to providing a product that will get fans in the seats and make administrations take notice.

Look around. Womens athletics are drawing large crowds in some areas but why will people come if the product and rivalries are half baked. Why should they spend their money to do that? The Green county Tournament was eye opening, IMO, as some great schools attended, came into their house and the fans understood who was coming and attended. it was a shame that MW had other commitments but they shouldn't have had to come. They wore everyone out by that time.

IMO, likely the parents and fans are waiting for someone to make the first move. To realize, females do not play football and don't even understand why ANYONE would want to use an oblong sphere and chase it around an open field, either being uncomfortable because of the excess heat OR catching a cold because, of the rain or snow. Tell the females up there that there is another way and its trained Womens Coaches demanding excellence, inside a building with a ball and a game there is some interest in understanding. After all their daughters are playing. There is a market for that. Your principal should know it and staff the sport accordingly.

Sorry for the soap box. You might be able to tell, I've posted this before a few years back. There is an interest in Womens Athletics. Someone just hasn't found the key to open the door. If you have as many in the seats for AAU Womens as you have for Football, you must have poor Football Attendance ALSO. And I would hate, if I were a principal of a school, to get on this site and see that being posted. And I would hate to have to pay a light bill based on that. Rick Insell made it work at Shelbyville High School. You can too. If you can't, we'll get Coach Smith at DB and come over and promote volleyball. She's making a success out of two womens sports. I bet she's not having to fight two sports with outside interests.

Well it looks like you’re another basher of Volunteer sports.

“I will not waste a day on watching Science Hill play Volunteer unless I have seen a girl in the summer playing against quality competition and really like her. Then I might waste a day on it. College coaches want to see what you do against the best, not what you do against the AA school down the street that has no talent”.

Let me set you straight about Volunteer, we are an AAA team with talent. In 2 short years Coach Myers has developed some of the best players around. Price (last year’s team) received a basketball scholarship, Gilliam (this years team) received a basketball scholarship. Now he is developing Lindholm, one of the best guards in E Tennessee possibly the state. Ever hear of them?

I’m beginning to wonder if you are a recruiter, college coach or any kind of coach at all.

We only lost Gilliam off this year’s team and Myers has groomed a post to replace her. We’re going to kick butt next season! If you have a team why don’t you contact Coach Myers and set up a scrimmage with our girls? I guarantee you it won’t be a wasted day! If you’re afraid to play us then I’ll buy you tickets to Volunteer / Science Hill games this coming season so you can see what basketball really is!

I appreciate the offer but I'll wait to see you play in the Boro at State in 2011. The competition will be good enough there. We can see how your players match up with the DI's there. They are likely good enough but I wouldn't know.

To answer your question, he is retired and has alot of time to be on Coach T. Probably has the most posts of any poster in the history of the world. He was a former player for Lipscomb way back, and is now mainly a fan of Siegull High School in Murfreesboro, due to having relatives who play at that school. :thumb: