Best of the Best Duals?

deadlift

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chattanooga has a team

Knoxville has a team

Heard some rumors that memphis and nashville are not coming. Really hope this is not true, since both knoxville(2 teams) and Chattanooga drove to memphis last year. Hope they can pull something together.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS TOURNAMENT?!

I am still in complete awe that we had to cancel this event because Nashville and Memphis say there's little or no interest! This statement doesn't make any sense at all to me! When I was in highschool this was an extremely prestegious event in which those who made the teams felt very privilaged to be a part of.

Last year was tough on us; we not only had to get a solid lineup together, but we had to get all of those kids 8 hours away to Memphis. ALSO, when we heard that Nashville would not be able to supply a team, we stepped up and brought another crew so that it could still be a full tournament. It was not hard to find kids to put on the team, because we had been talking up the tournament for so long that there was a large amount of interest! I believe the final number was 26 kids that made the trip last year.

So it is extremely frustrating to me that Memphis could not return this favor! It seems to me to be nothing more than a lack of effort on their part! This is not a tournament that you can just throw together a team in 2 weeks for. This is something the coaching staff should be working on for the majority of the year. The Knoxville team this year had ELEVEN different schools represented on our line up for this year! We didn't just look to the kids on the good schools, or the kids that were in freestyle clubs... we had been calling around, talking to kids and coaches since the TSSAA post season to get the best possible lineup we could we could! And every single kid on our roster was pumped about the tournament and couldn't wait!

There was much preparation that was put into this tournament from both us (reserving the gym, sanctioning the tournament, hospitality room, shirts, etc) and the Chatt team, and this had the potential to be one of the most exiting and talent filled year in the history of the tournament because of both the competitiveness between the coaches and the dedication to the nature of this tournament! We both seemed to have really stacked teams, and I really hate that we'll never get to see the matchup.

Unfortunately, It seems like this tournament will cease to continue. Even if they try next year, it'll be extremely hard to convince our kids to commit to a tournament that might or might not happen.

If this dual tournament does happen next year I will put together a Clarksville team to compete. I guess I assumed middle TN had a complete team aleady for this year. I hope this tournament does continue though.

I hope every area supports our entire greco/freestyle season better next year also. We should make a commitment to support at least the big 3 TN tournaments. I'm sure the Chattanooga area will continue to go to the Georgia tournaments and the Nashville area will continue to go to Indiana to find competition and thats fine. Let's just try and work those around the big three so we support wrestling in our state also.

NO TOURNAMENT SHOULD EVER BE CANCELED "BECAUSE OF LACK OF INTEREST". THIS PUTS A BAD TASTE IN EVERYONE'S MOUTH. THE TWO TEAMS THAT WERE READY, SHOULD HAVE FOLLOWED THROUGH WITH THE PLAN AND THE OTHER WOULD HAVE REALIZED WHAT THEY MISSED AND MIGHT GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER FOR NEXT YEAR. IF NOT FIRE THE LEADERSHIP AND GET SOMEONE THAT CAN MAHE IT HAPPEN.

NOW WITH THE TOURNAMENT CANCELLED, I WOULD SAY IT IS DEAD FOR THE FUTURE. WHY WAIST THE TIME AND EFFORT OF RECRUITING AND TRAIN FOR SOMETHING THAT MAY NOT HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE.

THE ANIMAL

This just shows the lack of desire to get better by a large % of Tennessee wrestlers. During the off season wrestlers from other states are working hard to get better and the people in Tennessee seem to have other things they want to do instead of wrestling. When the scholarships are handed out the Tennessee kids will be asking why few if any schools are recruiting them. The only way to be recruited by the big time schools is to defeat the kids that are ranked in the top 10 of the country. How are you going to defeat those ranked kids if your not working hard and going to tournaments?

Yes it it a shame when this event is not able to be held. It went ahead and was held when knoxville did not field a team, now East Tn did their part and provided two teams laast year. Now when it is held in East Tn again, which happened to be in Upper East, regions could not field teams.

The program in Johnson City held one dual tournament already this year and Chatt region, Nash region and Knox area provided teams. Memphis region did not make the trip.

I know the state is to support the Big 3 tournaments during the Free/Greco season. The Nash area was not supported at all with their tournament they scheduled and I believe that Memphis did not have support from all regions on their tournament. Heck even MBA came down to the Chatt tourn but did not show up at the state tourny in their own area???

I dont know where the interest has dissapeared to in the Nash and upper middle TN region all the way to the Ky boarder. Why not more free/greco going on with Ft. Campbell?

If we dont support our in state activities the sport aspect of free/greco will end in TN.

One main reason free/greco is slowly dying is that coaches keep on wrestling folkstyle after the state tournament. Summer duals are an exact example. Keep things fresh and exciting, after the state tournament work on freestyle and greco to give the kids a different weapon in their arsenol.

I was blown away at the state meeting in ATL for SE Regionals at the number of wrestlers that GA and FL have and they have hugh numbers in the kids program and it is folkstyle, which they end and then focus on free/greco.

I hope issues get worked out and feeling put aside, its not about Coaches, its about the kids, give them an opportunity, who cares if they win, at least they got the opportunity to compete, many never have the chance.

The Tn state tourney for free and greco was missing many of Tn best wrestlers ...why is that?

It was sad to see how few Tn boys were signed up to wrestle at Southeasterns this year.

Even sadder to see how few placed.

Did Chatt Wrestling have any one in the Cadets and Jrs wrestling at Southeasterns

I saw Soddy kids and HCW kids listed on track wrestling as medalist but did I miss CWC kids in those age groups

Is there a team going to Militia duals from Chattanooga to defend there Allstar crown from last year?

Will someone post the line ups for the Cadet duals and Jr duals Teams ??

How are those are picked ?

I agree with many in saying Tn wrestling needs to learn from Ga and Fla, and quick before its to late ...or is it already.