All-Midstate

Varsity4

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The team has been released and some very strong players were selected. No disrespect to any player or team but how is a player selected to play for the 18u Team USA that defeated Cuba in the gold medal game and his local newspaper put's him on the 2nd team All Midstate?

The team has been released and some very strong players were selected. No disrespect to any player or team but how is a player selected to play for the 18u Team USA that defeated Cuba in the gold medal game and his local newspaper put's him on the 2nd team All Midstate?

The same reason a kid that is all tournament in this year's JR Sunbelt didn't make it on that team - Politics and there are a large amount of tallented players in the area. I for one would like to see this go by division so we arn't compairing D1 to D3 stats. Big difference. Also, I'd love to have my sons team play in some other district - the Overton kids were served BP every game. Their numbers show it too. No offense to them but their competion didn't happen until their Regional games.

Robbie will be fine at Arkansas if he doesn't sign to go pro. So will the others that were left off the team - xx amount of slots to fill, and xxxxx amount of good players to fill them with! :wub:

The same reason a kid that is all tournament in this year's JR Sunbelt didn't make it on that team - Politics and there are a large amount of tallented players in the area. I for one would like to see this go by division so we arn't compairing D1 to D3 stats. Big difference. Also, I'd love to have my sons team play in some other district - the Overton kids were served BP every game. Their numbers show it too. No offense to them but their competion didn't happen until their Regional games.

Robbie will be fine at Arkansas if he doesn't sign to go pro. So will the others that were left off the team - xx amount of slots to fill, and xxxxx amount of good players to fill them with! :wub:

You are correct that Robbie Ray with be fine with whatever decision he makes. But everyone must admit that there is a big difference between kids that are All-District, All-Region or even the All-State player being excluded from the 1st team & a kid that is a LHP on Team USA. We are talking about a LHP that was selected as one of the top 18U pitchers in America! A selection group that pulls this type of stunt will have ZERO credibility in the future. The only way to explain what the Tennessean did to Brentwood High School & Robbie Ray is to say they want to spread the wealth and hope to sell more newspapers, the selection group didn't have a clue as to what they were doing and did little if any research or the selection group is on crack and needs to be placed in rehab.

Robbie will be fine at Arkansas if he doesn't sign to go pro. So will the others that were left off the team - xx amount of slots to fill, and xxxxx amount of good players to fill them with! :roflol:

In the regular season, Overton played:

-- 13 teams that made the regional round of playoffs

-- played Hendersonville and Mt Juliet twice

-- played Dyer County

-- played Clarksville twice

-- played Goodpasture

-- played Ravenwood twice

-- played Venice and Riverview in Sarasota, FL

I bet Mookie Betts and Connor Moore had better numbers in these games than in district games. Regardless of situation or competition...you don't want to face either of them.

The two Overton players deserved to be on that team. We played them twice and I have no problem with the nominations. Yes, their district schedule is an easy ride, and that lack of a challenge probably hurt them when they were trying to beat Mt. Juliet and advance to state. However, those two kids would be two of the top players in any district in the state. If you saw them play, you'd agree.

What would it hurt to announce "midstate honorable mention" list after 3rd team. Say.... 20 more midstate players that deserve some recognition to be honored also.

Not a bad idea. I think it would work best to announce an all mid state team in each class. I saw a player on the second team that is from Class A and he was co-MVP in our district this year. I felt like that he was not even in the top 5. Where was the co-MVP? Not on any of these list. I watched him play last night and he struck out 2 maybe 3 times in a tournament in Spring Hill. How do some of these kids get their names in the hat? The co-MVP pitched against Spring Hill (2A State runners up) and won and his name was never mentioned as anything. He also played for S'town's state championship team and the made it back to the substate this year.

Your coach has gotta put your name in the hat in the first place, then the media votes. Dont put a lot of stock in that list: I didnt see Harper from Mt Juliet name on the list and he should have been there. Diffendiffer too, he can smash the ball. I do agree that it should be by class divisions, all these kids work too hard no matter class A, AA, or AAA. Congrats to those who did score the list.