Umpires Pay Increase Rescinded

binns37388

This is the real problem. I would bet a lot of money that everywhere you have a real athletic program at a high school that extends to all sports, there is someone at the top who is driving the bus to get the funds these sports need for the kids to participate in. A good leader will lead his coaches and booster clubs in the direction they need to go to fund these sports. Working with them to help find the money instead of just setting back and saying no we can't fund that, or sorry we are broke, etc.

What if athletic directors instituted a $50 player fee at the begining of each school year. That money could be set aside for officials at each game. You can handle any "Economic Hardships" as one offs. You can use gate fees for any short fall. Booster clubs could also contribute. $500 gos a long way in helping pay for officials. Coaches are allowed to do fund raisers. You have to take care of the game first before you make improvements. If umpires need a raise than fine, give them a 10% raise. Folks have plenty of excuses why things are wrong or can't get done. I feel like you are part of the problem or part of the solution. I'm not wild about everything the TSSAA does but they should not be the excuse for not having some sports. Look closely at AD's and administrators. Do you have quality solution based leadership guiding your student athletes?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not gripe about what a person makes. And as for comparing their hourly rate to most of us, how many of us have jobs where during the course of it on any given day you hear about how you need to see the eye doctor, to go home, you suck, and any number of obscenities, plus the threats against your person at times? Lots of things to consider.

Are you working in a classroom? LOL

You make a lot of valid points. As for TSSAA, I think they need a little pressure from the schools in refusing their demands. The anount they freely take at tournaments to pay whoever or what ever, the fees they charge schools just to be a member, the fees they then charge for each sport, the fines, and so forth. Schools lose more and more to them every year and cant or wont do anything about it. Then when they cancel sports, they are the bad person. It would be tough to restart, but could be done.

It's just tough economic times on everyone; The parents, players, coaches, officials, schools, and even the organization. We are gonna lose sports, maybe even some schools. States and the National government is struggling and I think we are facing major issues in the next five years.

What if athletic directors instituted a $50 player fee at the begining of each school year. That money could be set aside for officials at each game. You can handle any "Economic Hardships" as one offs. You can use gate fees for any short fall. Booster clubs could also contribute. $500 gos a long way in helping pay for officials. Coaches are allowed to do fund raisers. You have to take care of the game first before you make improvements. If umpires need a raise than fine, give them a 10% raise. Folks have plenty of excuses why things are wrong or can't get done. I feel like you are part of the problem or part of the solution. I'm not wild about everything the TSSAA does but they should not be the excuse for not having some sports. Look closely at AD's and administrators. Do you have quality solution based leadership guiding your student athletes?

$500.00 would pay for what....two home games? Out of 15-20 for some schools. I think it's a good idea, but that's not much of a dent in that cost.

I think umpires are well paid for what they are asked to do. If they were promised a raise and had it taken back, that would be unfair to them, of course. Regardless, I think people forget that alot of programs don't have the revenue generating streams that some of these machines do. If you can't raise the funds, or don't have the crowd, to pay the umpires, you end up playing a ton of games on the road.

I will not gripe about what a person makes. And as for comparing their hourly rate to most of us, how many of us have jobs where during the course of it on any given day you hear about how you need to see the eye doctor, to go home, you suck, and any number of obscenities, plus the threats against your person at times? Lots of things to consider.

Are you working in a classroom? LOL

You make a lot of valid points. As for TSSAA, I think they need a little pressure from the schools in refusing their demands. The anount they freely take at tournaments to pay whoever or what ever, the fees they charge schools just to be a member, the fees they then charge for each sport, the fines, and so forth. Schools lose more and more to them every year and cant or wont do anything about it. Then when they cancel sports, they are the bad person. It would be tough to restart, but could be done.

It's just tough economic times on everyone; The parents, players, coaches, officials, schools, and even the organization. We are gonna lose sports, maybe even some schools. States and the National government is struggling and I think we are facing major issues in the next five years.

$500.00 would pay for what....two home games? Out of 15-20 for some schools. I think it's a good idea, but that's not much of a dent in that cost.

I think umpires are well paid for what they are asked to do. If they were promised a raise and had it taken back, that would be unfair to them, of course. Regardless, I think people forget that alot of programs don't have the revenue generating streams that some of these machines do. If you can't raise the funds, or don't have the crowd, to pay the umpires, you end up playing a ton of games on the road.

Each sport has a goup of parents that have the ability to create a booster club. Their are 8 booster clubs in the school my son goes to(in various sizes and capacities). AA school 800+ total kids. $500 times 8 is $4000. That is just to help support the total cost not replace it. $50 athletic fee times 200 student athletes is $10,000. Each coach has to support this with $500 from their fundraising 10 sports times $500 is $5000.

Thats $19,000 per high school season for officials. Seems like a pretty good dent.

If you've got 800 students and you're not making enough gate to pay the umpires, you've got bigger problems. I don't agree at all with booster clubs footing the bill for game officials. They should be raising monies to maintain and improve their facilities. It takes some creativity and hard work and you have to put a program out there that the fanbase will support.

Every sport should have a budget and a plan for how they're going to meet that budget through player fees, fundraising, gate, concession and other revenue opportunities. It's hard to justify an increase in umpire fees when we can't give our teachers and coaches raises and the fanbase is looking for jobs.

The increase was $5.00 for a single game. You are right most of us do have jobs, but

we have to leave early or take vacation to do something most of us love doing. The per hour

rate is not $21.25 when you include all the travel to and from the games, gas and food.

The TSSAA sure didn't mind increasing the fees officials have to pay each year!

Forgive me, but how do you get that the increase was $5? Each umpire received $65 per game in 2010. They wanted $85 per game for 2011. That is a $20 per game increase. That is a 31% raise. How many people do you know that got a 31% raise with our economy? We only have so much money in our budget. The first thing to go is JV games. Next will be home games. There are already at least two Metro teams that only play district home games. You have to host them to play outside of their district schedule. That would probably be our next step as well.

All you guys saying you should charge a fee to play have obviously never worked at an inner city school. All the kids are on fee-waivers as it is. You could charge all you want, but you are not going to get it. Then you tell the kid, sorry but you can't play ball because you don't have any money. Guess what they turn to if they don't have ball or something else positive to occupy their time?

Go back to your economics classes. Supply and demand must intersect. Your price gets too high and your demand disappears.

That would be the bigger problem I was speaking of. You're lucky to get a JV game in Metro and if you do, you're lucky to have 2 umpires. It's getting to be that way for rural schools having a down year. They'll play a DH at your place if you have a nicer field and pay the umps.

If you've got 800 students and you're not making enough gate to pay the umpires, you've got bigger problems. I don't agree at all with booster clubs footing the bill for game officials. They should be raising monies to maintain and improve their facilities. It takes some creativity and hard work and you have to put a program out there that the fanbase will support.

Every sport should have a budget and a plan for how they're going to meet that budget through player fees, fundraising, gate, concession and other revenue opportunities. It's hard to justify an increase in umpire fees when we can't give our teachers and coaches raises and the fanbase is looking for jobs.

I am only making some suggestions on how others may be able to fix some of their issues. Here at Spring Hill We have a great program. No problem with the fan base here. We have good boosters good coaches and an AD who is always looking for creative ways to solve problems. no matter how big you are money can always be a problem. Running the baseball booster club has been challenging, frustrating and very rewarding. Our group has put over 50k into baseball over the last three years, Regardless of the "economy, Job loss or teachers salaries". We would gladly give $500 if that was going to be the differance in saving or cutting a sport. I agree that every sport needs a budget. Thats the right thing to do. If Umpires where suppose to get a raise than I stick by my 10% and look for creative ways to get it done. Its the right thing to do. Unfortunatly schools do not treat revenue or budgeted dollars like a business does. They spend everything as quickly as possible before someone cuts their funds. Umpires should not have to pay becase of poor teachers salaries (don't teachers have representation) or the economy or administration. I spend way too much time jumping through hoops trying to give my school assets. This is a no brainer for me. Give the umpires the 10%!

Ive tried to stay away from this as I am kind of on both sides not only am I an umpire I am also a booster club guy(my second son just graduated )

We kept track of who we paid what as far as umpires go and we recieve NO MONEY from the school for anything. the booster club paid for everything at the same time we dont give any money to the school either...we get the gate and all the concession but we pay all the expenses and improvments.

While i dont complain about the money we make because most of us dont do it just for the money and I am not really upset they have taken whatever they were gonna give us away if i tell them i am going to show up for a game and dont show up they wont like that at all so if you are going to tell a man you are going to give him a raise then you should give him the raise that was given. however if my full time job tells me they are not going to give me a raise im still going to work there and I will still umpire. I always tell my boys to be a man of your word and that is basically what i am saying here

The increase was $5.00 for a single game. You are right most of us do have jobs, but

we have to leave early or take vacation to do something most of us love doing. The per hour

rate is not $21.25 when you include all the travel to and from the games, gas and food.

The TSSAA sure didn't mind increasing the fees officials have to pay each year!

Forgive me, but how do you get that the increase was $5? Each umpire received $65 per game in 2010. They wanted $85 per game for 2011. That is a $20 per game increase. That is a 31% raise. How many people do you know that got a 31% raise with our economy? We only have so much money in our budget. The first thing to go is JV games. Next will be home games. There are already at least two Metro teams that only play district home games. You have to host them to play outside of their district schedule. That would probably be our next step as well.

All you guys saying you should charge a fee to play have obviously never worked at an inner city school. All the kids are on fee-waivers as it is. You could charge all you want, but you are not going to get it. Then you tell the kid, sorry but you can't play ball because you don't have any money. Guess what they turn to if they don't have ball or something else positive to occupy their time?

Go back to your economics classes. Supply and demand must intersect. Your price gets too high and your demand disappears.

The increase wasn't $20.00 , the increase was from $65.00 to $70.00 per game from the TSSAA web site.

No offense intended Slider. I'm an old Maury County boy. Spring Hill's program is top notch. I'm also a booster club president at a county that doesn't give the baseball program a dime for maintaining fields, operation or expenses. We raise every cent that we spend AND have to explain how we got it and how we're spending every dime to that same system that's not giving us anything.

Like it or not, there's affluent programs, middle income programs and lower income programs. You've got big schools with 1200+ students, schools with 600 students and schools with 150 students. You have to budget accordingly. If I'm in a lower income program, I'm going to ask for donations and grants. If I'm in a small unit school I'm going to use the available resources that I have. It starts with a budget in July. Coach and I will sit down and make a list of what we need and what we want and then develop a revenue program for getting there. Set a player fee and then find ways to work off those fees. Our school had a $500 player fee. My kids fee was $0. He worked off every penny. There's all kinds of fundraisers out there. You can sell Smart Cards or cook chicken and ribs, have a spaghetti supper or a silent auction or whatever. When I played, we wore 10 year old uniforms and played in the city park and it didn't cost a dime. Those days are gone.

No offense intended Slider. I'm an old Maury County boy. Spring Hill's program is top notch. I'm also a booster club president at a county that doesn't give the baseball program a dime for maintaining fields, operation or expenses. We raise every cent that we spend AND have to explain how we got it and how we're spending every dime to that same system that's not giving us anything.

Like it or not, there's affluent programs, middle income programs and lower income programs. You've got big schools with 1200+ students, schools with 600 students and schools with 150 students. You have to budget accordingly. If I'm in a lower income program, I'm going to ask for donations and grants. If I'm in a small unit school I'm going to use the available resources that I have. It starts with a budget in July. Coach and I will sit down and make a list of what we need and what we want and then develop a revenue program for getting there. Set a player fee and then find ways to work off those fees. Our school had a $500 player fee. My kids fee was $0. He worked off every penny. There's all kinds of fundraisers out there. You can sell Smart Cards or cook chicken and ribs, have a spaghetti supper or a silent auction or whatever. When I played, we wore 10 year old uniforms and played in the city park and it didn't cost a dime. Those days are gone.

our biggest income at RIVERDALE is the Titans concession stand. our next big one is selling chicken tenders. and I guess the closest we come to a player fee is selling the chicken. They can sell the chicken (which is the easist fundraiser we have ever done all you gotta do is ask people and it is sold) of 20 cases at $25 each or they could sell 10 and pay the difference or they can just pay it all

KS, no offence taken. I always appreciate other opinions. We seem to have strayed from umpire raises to the challenges of booster clubs and raising money for differant size programs. We should have a thread to discuss that. It may be more productive for everyone. Do we really have any control over TSSAA anyway?