Division II A

Footballer69

DCA should be very good. They return alot of starters from last years team and from what I've heard they are co-oping with USN. Should be interesting to see how they do.

[/quote

That is great news. Anyone know from the west if Bishop Byrnes has anything like that 05 team that had DE's that were 6-3 and quicker than lightning? 11 in the box. Boy that team was good. Just wishing everyone the best for this year. Going to be fun.

Edited by DIVISIONII

I personally know Justin and his injury status is that he has a partial torn acl will need surgery after season. He is going to try to play through it. And it's true DCA is co-opying with USN because they have no football team and DCA has no lax team. And as for WEBB being the favorite...not so sure about that. They lost everyone but there qb and the Blance brothers who indeed are game changers but not without a good o-line.

I personally know Justin and his injury status is that he has a partial torn acl will need surgery after season. He is going to try to play through it. And it's true DCA is co-opying with USN because they have no football team and DCA has no lax team. And as for WEBB being the favorite...not so sure about that. They lost everyone but there qb and the Blance brothers who indeed are game changers but not without a good o-line.

If I am correct, isn't this his second ACL injury in high school? As to Webb, they are akin to a well trained soldier, they reload quickly.

Edited by stbulldog

They lost everyone but there qb and the Blance brothers who indeed are game changers but not without a good o-line.

Actually Webb's o-line handled Maryville well enough last night for not only the Blance brothers to run wild but also their #3 back as well. It appears that Webb's o-line will be a little bit bigger than last years with two huge bookend senior tackles and the returning center from last year. Guards will be key in their wing-t offense and last night they looked pretty darn good for their first real varsity experience. They played without their 3-year starting QB last night who was out of town.

Yes it is his 2nd ACl injury but it's the other leg this time. And as for Webb i'll have to see it to believe it...sounds too good to be true. But hey if i couldn't win a DII- AA championship i'd not let people come to school there so i could go down a division to win.

Im kind of confused, are you implying that Webb's keeping their enrollement low to play in D2 A? As a webb fan i wish the school would really invest into football, b/c with it being really the only private school in knoxville, they could have a monopoly on all the athletes in the town if they waned to...if they did that, they could easily compete and win in D2-AA with MBA, MUS, Ensworth etc. Right now they need a bigger and depth laden oline to beat the very best in the state.

Im kind of confused, are you implying that Webb's keeping their enrollement low to play in D2 A? As a webb fan i wish the school would really invest into football, b/c with it being really the only private school in knoxville, they could have a monopoly on all the athletes in the town if they waned to...if they did that, they could easily compete and win in D2-AA with MBA, MUS, Ensworth etc. Right now they need a bigger and depth laden oline to beat the very best in the state.

I'm implying that i find it a little strange that two years ago Webb was playing with the big dogs of DII like MBA and Ensworth and then suddenly they move down to DII-A? and their first year in it they win it? sounds like they had it planned. I just think its unfair to the other teams of DII-A that actually have 200 kids in their highschool to try to compete with them.

The TSSAA established the cutoff point between the 2 divisions of DII. Are you going to say the same thing about ECS?

At any rate, Webb is where they belong at this point. Do you realize that Webb won state last year with a roster of 52 kids including freshman? About 16 of them were seniors and about 12 of those seniors had played together since they were 9 years old. It was a special group of seniors that were above average athletically as a group. Add to that a handful of very talented young players including a tremendous QB who returns this year as a 4-year starter and it was a recipe for a team that was very good at any level.

This season Webb's numbers will be in the mid-40s including freshmen. One thing you have no idea about is how Webb's student body breaks down. Sure they have around 465 kids with roughly half of that number boys. A large number of the boys who attend Webb are there for things other than athletics like art, music, drama etc. and don't play any team sports. So in reality, Webb's pool of athletes who play team sports is very much inline with the schools in DII-A. Last season every DII-A team that Webb played except for maybe 2 had more kids on their roster.

Finally, you won't find a better coaching staff who continues to make more with less. This season will be no different. They return some key skill athletes on offense but are totally revamping both lines that return only 2 starters, all 3 LBs and a secondary that lost two all-state safeties. The young guys will step up and will do it because of the coaching.

I'm implying that i find it a little strange that two years ago Webb was playing with the big dogs of DII like MBA and Ensworth and then suddenly they move down to DII-A? and their first year in it they win it? sounds like they had it planned. I just think its unfair to the other teams of DII-A that actually have 200 kids in their highschool to try to compete with them.

You are the only one that finds it strange. You can play up if you desire or play in your number of students designated class. Your complaint should be directed toward who set up the system. Because if there was a half A and Davidson could play in it, they would. As to your statement about "having it planned", Webb has plans to win the title every single year, doesn't Davidson have the same plan. Stop whining. :D

Edited by stbulldog

This season Webb's numbers will be in the mid-40s including freshmen. One thing you have no idea about is how Webb's student body breaks down. Sure they have around 465 kids with roughly half of that number boys. A large number of the boys who attend Webb are there for things other than athletics like art, music, drama etc. and don't play any team sports. So in reality, Webb's pool of athletes who play team sports is very much inline with the schools in DII-A. Last season every DII-A team that Webb played except for maybe 2 had more kids on their roster.

First off, i dont think webb is doing anything to keep the enrollment down just to play in single A. I think the issue is with TSSAA only making 2 divisions and forcing teams with 150-250 kids plays teams like Webb that have almost 500. They wouldnt do it to public school teams but thats another issue.

As far as Webb's roster being smaller then all but 2 teams they play, thats just false. I know for a fact that Zion, MJCA, Ezell Harding, FRA and lancaster have nowhere near 50 kids on the team, freshman included. As a matter of fact, aside from maybe FRA, who might have 40 kids, the rest of those teams had between 25-35 players.

Also, the point that some of Webb's boys dont go to school for athletics goes for almost every high school. So Webb is pulling from a bigger pool of athletes which again, isnt their problem, to me its TSSAA.

Edited by D2A