Dyer Co. First Look Scrimmage

kidrock7

We (Halls) are very young, but I was proud of the way we played tonight. We simply didn't tackle on the screen pass. We had too many chances to get him and just let him escape.

I was pleased with our run offense and our freshman QB made some good throws tonight. GC had too many run plays for positive yards on their opening drive...gotta fix that. Did your injured player from last week's scrimmage (against Greenfield?) play tonight? I couldn't remember what number you had written in another thread.

I was very pleased with our team's play and look forward to the jambo next week against the Falcons...although I can't stand the fact the two of us play helmet-to-helmet just a few weeks before we strap them on for a district game that counts.

The QB from halls is pretty solid, but very young. I had a chance to watch him play last season as an 8th grader. He has lots of potential and a great arm. I'll keep my eye out for him this season and throughout the rest of his high school career.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're pretty accurate about all the games.I thought Brighton looked to be the best team there.A team built on speed and getting to the ball.Looks like number 80 is the receiver they look to go to on key 3rd and 4th down plays but they have 2 or 3 other receivers that can go the distance on any play.I talked to the Lake Co coach last night and he told me not to hammer him on here too bad and what I thought.Overall I thought Lake Co looked good,,need a little work on the line.Lake Co could be even better but like a lot of small schools,3 or 4 players can make a lot of difference.The coach told me that one of the receivers was kicked off the team and I ask about another player that has played the past two seasons and would probably start this year.He told me he ask the kid about playing but was going to stick with baseball.And 4 Lake Co decided to go to Dyer Co this year.One of them ,a big lineman started at Lake Co last year,mostly due to the numbers and because he was a freshman..But they moved.Nothing to be said about that.But the other 3 still live in Lake Co.Still don't think that's right to be able to go to school in another county.One of them is Andre Flowers brother.But the thing is..Dyer Co has 3 boys at the running back spot,Thaddeus Medford,Bryce Heathcott.Can put Cranston Fisk back there.I don't see Flowers playing at Dyer Co until he's at least a junior,if even then.Most of Dyer Co players are juniors.And the baseball player was already at Lake Co last year.I don't think he started at Lake Co and sure won't play at all at Dyer Co.So Lake Co could be and should be even better but that's out of the coach's hands.Gibson Co and Halls looked to be pretty evenly matched and Dyer Co has a lot of weapons.Fumbled the ball about 5 times but have a lot of young talent in Marcus Parr,Jacob Hudson,Austin Richardson along with Dylan Dye and Medford.The only thing I don't like about Dyer Co is they always just have 1 running back in the backfield and a couple times Dyer Co had a 4th and 1 and 4th and 1nches .Instead of putting the Quarterback under the center and playing power football..kept Dye in the shotgun.Too many things can go wrong.Bad snap.Quarterback bobble the ball.Still have to make a good pass and if it's a bad pass,the play is wasted.Even if he makes a good pass,the receiver still has to catch the ball.If I'm on the 4 yard line and 4th and inches..more than likely I'm doing a quarterback sneak.I love that Dyer Co throws the ball but sometimes this year they're going to lose a game doing that against a quality team.If I were an opposing coach,I believe I'd love to see Dyer Co do this.instead of needing a coupl inches..have to gain about 3 yards instead.But they have a lot of weapons.I was very dissappointed in Brownsville.They looked terrible.Not sure how good the quarterback is.Brighton was sacking him at will and the punter didn't have a good night.At least 3 punts I saw may have went 25 to 30 yards and that was because of a good roll.Lokking forward to Milan and Dyer Co in the Dyersburg jamboree and Humboldt and Dyersburg.

Dyer county takes more snaps in shotgun than most teams take under center. It's what they practice and how they play. There's so many things to do from shotgun. It is just as common for them to shotgun snap as a snap under center for other teams. You will take a chance every snap either way for a bad snap, bad hand off, or even bad pass. I was a senior the year that offense came in to our program. It's an amazing offense. Believe me, the little things are practiced more usual than when we were in the I formation. The little things win games. They will be just fine. Watch out TN for the Choctaws this year and more to come. They are more talented than they've ever been, but younger. Anything can happen with that.

Dyer county takes more snaps in shotgun than most teams take under center. It's what they practice and how they play. There's so many things to do from shotgun. It is just as common for them to shotgun snap as a snap under center for other teams. You will take a chance every snap either way for a bad snap, bad hand off, or even bad pass. I was a senior the year that offense came in to our program. It's an amazing offense. Believe me, the little things are practiced more usual than when we were in the I formation. The little things win games. They will be just fine. Watch out TN for the Choctaws this year and more to come. They are more talented than they've ever been, but younger. Anything can happen with that.

I agree that's what they do.And are going to keep doing.But if I'm an oppossing coach or player,I'd rather see them do that than do a quarterback sneak on a quick count.Get the few inches and then air it out.Just my opinion.Dyer Co is going to have a good year but fell like next year,will really have a great team.I like watching them but when Dyer Co happens to lose a game when they're on about the 30 yard line with a minute to play and have a 4th and inches and don't convert and win the game.a lot of people will be saying.What are they doing?

I agree that's what they do.And are going to keep doing.But if I'm an oppossing coach or player,I'd rather see them do that than do a quarterback sneak on a quick count.Get the few inches and then air it out.Just my opinion.Dyer Co is going to have a good year but fell like next year,will really have a great team.I like watching them but when Dyer Co happens to lose a game when they're on about the 30 yard line with a minute to play and have a 4th and inches and don't convert and win the game.a lot of people will be saying.What are they doing?

I agree with you 'mrbig' DC must take several snaps under center during each game even if they're not going to to run the ball..keeps defense on their toes instead of letting em spread out all over the field expecting pass pass pass..way too many weapons / skilled players not too..O-line Must learn run blocking skills to ensure Advantage to pound out a couple yards if / when needed..if not its going to bite em

Edited by DHSFB64

You can run the ball while in the gun. Just ask Ripley, Dyer Co ran it down their throat all night.

Again..Nobody is talking about running the ball while in the gun.I just wouldn't prefer to do it in a 4th and inches.Get the first down and then throw on first down,run from the gun or whatever.I guarantee they'll fail more times on 4th down running or throwing from the gun than they will just by letting the quarterback fall forward.And yes,some teams can run from the gun.Dylan Dye isn't going to get a lot of yards from running out of it.Austin Richardson probably would.I honestly don't think Dyer Co has the running back or the line to run on a very good defensive team.Their forte is going to be throw the ball all over the place.Dyer Co may be able to run from the gun against Halls,Lake Co and teams like that but doubt they do against Milan.Medford may break one every now and then but will have to have a seam .If dyer Co had a quarterback that was in the mold of Brandon Springer,then I could see the defense rushing hard and him scramble away for big yardage.But Dye isn't that type of quarterback.He did run the othe rnight a couple times..maybe got about 7 yards.If Dyer Co doesn't line up behind the quarterback every once in awhile..at least on 4th and inches or 4th and 1..won't make it 7 out of 10 times.I can see them doing it on maybe a 4th and 3. But even then..probably going to have to throw the ball .If Dye had more speed..probably could do either ..throw or run but I don't think he has the kind of speed to do that against a fast defense.!

I think where it will hurt is on goal line situations...Spread teams have to be able to run the ball some...I know Obion Central ran the ball effectively between the 20's against Henry County but had two drives stall inside the Pats 10 yard line...When a defense can use the back line of the endzone as their 12th man is where you see the need for a physical O-Line....

You also need a running game in late game situations when you are trying to get three or four first downs to run the clock out...

Just wondering...How does Dyer County normally practice??..In shells or full pads ??

I will throw in my two cents worth. I believe you can run the ball effectively out of the spread but you must have some type of under center formation as bigster notes for short yardage and goalline. Alot of things can happen when you get in close quarters. College and even NFL teams will go from gun and under center but you don't see Peyton Manning in the gun for the colts on 4th and 1 either. Still remember the safest play in football is QB sneak on 4th and inches!! The spread offers alot of advantages and gives you the ability to spread the ball to all your athletes but still need that smashmouth tuff formation for short yardage in my humble opinion.

You take that chance every time u snap the ball. You could take it from under center and get stop and people would say the same thing. They live and die by the spread screen offense. Many teams can contain them, but some can't stop it. I'm not just a fan of them, i'm a huge fan and believer in that offense. Look at the records before we went to that offense. A lot of opponents really don't want to line up across from them, 4th and inches or whatever it may be. enjoy the season.