Teams breaking heat rules

bigredbird

There is no ambiguity, 105 = NO OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES WHATSOEVER! This is the rule statewide! A county school system may lower the threshold but this is the minimum and there are coaches statewide breaking the rules everyday. They have no legal leg to stand on if they have to go before a judge in a court of law.

Edited by ELA
  • Upvote 1

It is required, but you misunderstood what I said. Let me give you some examples. Rutherford County is following TSSAA to the letter, and Mr. Gill is making the call overall. Sumner County is following TSSAA, but leaving to the coaches and trainers discretion. Wilson County put out a list of guidelines similar to TSSAA, but if you read into it, it is a tad more strict. Also, if my heat index in Rutherford County is 105, and I scrimmage in Monterey (take someone like Eagleville), where the heat index is 100, and that is very possible, who do I follow then? Common sense says where you play, but I have never heard clarity on that either. So, you get where I would say it is a guideline for the minimum, and some counties are enforcing stricter policies...

You can't scrimmage in full pads even at 104 or 100. There is a chart that we have all been issued and at 96

* we must remove equipment. Ignorance of the policy is not an option.

• Upvote 1

You can't scrimmage in full pads even at 104 or 100. There is a chart that we have all been issued and at 96

* we must remove equipment. Ignorance of the policy is not an option.

There is no ignorance on my part...read what it says about competition directly off the TSSAA web site. To statement #2, you only remove equipment when there is no contact involved with the heat index from 95-99 degrees.

Heat Index 95-99: Helmets and Other possible Equipment removed if not involved in contact.

If you haven't practiced in pads when the heat index is at 96, you're doing the kids a disserivce the other way, b/ce look at the competition rules below. They state that pads won't be removed at a heat index from 95-104 in competition...they will have a heat timeout. Now, if something is more updated that what I just pasted from the site, then shame on the TSSAA for not updating it, but I doubt that is the case (the rules meeting stated the same).

TSSAA Heat Policy - Modifications for Football Competition when the

Heat Index is 95°-104°

Officials shall stop the game for a heat time-out at the first dead

ball after the halfway point of each quarter. If either team has

possession of the ball inside the other team’s twenty yard line,

officials may delay this time out until either the offensive team

scores or the ball is turned over.

Don't make me out to be the bad guy. I agree there should be a policy and that this one is well researched and good. But if we take off pads everytime the heat index is at 96 degrees, then your real problem is going to take place on Friday night when the adrenaline is high, the heat index is at 100, and they are not used to it.

Edited by runninreb

I have read the heat rule and I mostly understand it but I do have one question. WHAT IS THE PENALTY FOR VIOLATING IT? I have found no were that tells you what the penalty is. I have heard of schools here in Knoxville practicing when the heat index is 105 and above, but who watches out for these coaches who dont follow the rules?

There is no ignorance on my part...read what it says about competition directly off the TSSAA web site. To statement #2, you only remove equipment when there is no contact involved with the heat index from 95-99 degrees.

Heat Index 95-99: Helmets and Other possible Equipment removed if not involved in contact.

If you haven't practiced in pads when the heat index is at 96, you're doing the kids a disserivce the other way, b/ce look at the competition rules below. They state that pads won't be removed at a heat index from 95-104 in competition...they will have a heat timeout. Now, if something is more updated that what I just pasted from the site, then shame on the TSSAA for not updating it, but I doubt that is the case (the rules meeting stated the same).

TSSAA Heat Policy - Modifications for Football Competition when the

Heat Index is 95°-104°

Officials shall stop the game for a heat time-out at the first dead

ball after the halfway point of each quarter. If either team has

possession of the ball inside the other team’s twenty yard line,

officials may delay this time out until either the offensive team

scores or the ball is turned over.

Don't make me out to be the bad guy. I agree there should be a policy and that this one is well researched and good. But if we take off pads everytime the heat index is at 96 degrees, then your real problem is going to take place on Friday night when the adrenaline is high, the heat index is at 100, and they are not used to it.

While I am on the subject, and please don't take this as sarcasm directed at anyone, but I have a real question. How is it that South Carolina's kids are out in Columbia where the heat index was reaching 115, and Jacksonville where the heat index was 128 yesterday (I have family in both places that I asked about it and they said those high schools were in pads, in the afternoon), yet our state is implementing this at much lower indexes. If you answer, because those kids are more climatized, you are right, and that is exactly my point. The problem IS NOT the heat in and of itself (if so, kids in those states would be dropping left and right), it is more about a lack of knowledge in hydrating, weighing in before and after practice, taking pads off when they don't need them, and waiting until August to get outside. If they condition during the summer months correctly, and learn how to hydrate, get the proper nutrition and rest, I promise you their chances will be greatly reduced. These other states have figured this out, maybe because it has been hotter longer there, I don't know, but regardless, I refuse to believe, having played college ball on astro turf in 110 degree heat, that it is simply a matter of heat.

Edited by runninreb

While I am on the subject, and please don't take this as sarcasm directed at anyone, but I have a real question. How is it that South Carolina's kids are out in Columbia where the heat index was reaching 115, and Jacksonville where the heat index was 128 yesterday (I have family in both places that I asked about it and they said those high schools were in pads, in the afternoon), yet our state is implementing this at much lower indexes. If you answer, because those kids are more climatized, you are right, and that is exactly my point. The problem IS NOT the heat in and of itself (if so, kids in those states would be dropping left and right), it is more about a lack of knowledge in hydrating, weighing in before and after practice, taking pads off when they don't need them, and waiting until August to get outside. If they condition during the summer months correctly, and learn how to hydrate, get the proper nutrition and rest, I promise you their chances will be greatly reduced. These other states have figured this out, maybe because it has been hotter longer there, I don't know, but regardless, I refuse to believe, having played college ball on astro turf in 110 degree heat, that it is simply a matter of heat.

Maybe this is the reason South Carolinia and Florida have more quality players than Tennessee. Let them practice but if one starts feeling woozy and looks like he's gonna pass out let him sit for a while, give the coach guidelines and make them take medical courses so they can see signs when a player is too hot and needs to rest.

I have coached in Carolina, Mississippi and TN. I grew up in the heat of East Texas. I have coached teams that practiced in extreme heat, I have made the trip to the emergency room when my boys needed a drip. I understand the issues but this is not really about the heat! It is about ethics and following the rules. If a coach breaks this rule knowing the potential consequences he is being both dishonest and unethical and he puts himself, his staff and his school in jeopardy, not to mention the health of his players. This is not about being tough, it is about following the rules!

I drove past three schools on the way to football practice this afternoon and all of them were practicing in the heat at an INDEX over 105. I want coaches to be put on notice, if you break the rules parents should report them to their administration.

Hey Bird - Did you report these schools to the TSSAA? If not, why didn't you?

Actions speak louder than a "Coach t post"!

You said on your post to "list them" but you didn't.

Edited by shakinthefat

Can you really tell the difference between 100 degrees vs 105? It is like the local weatherman giving regional temps on TV.... "Mufreesboro reached 96 degress today, Clarksville was cooler at 93 degrees and Mt. Juliet was 95 degrees". Can you really tell a difference????

Probably not.

Each player will react differently to different temps. Why push your luck at the MAGICAL 104 degree mark.

Who calibrates these heat index measuring devices? Are they just stored in the football closet in the winter and expected to read correctly every August?

I do not want the coach or trainer of my son relying on a piece of equipment that is not regulated properly.

SHUT down practice at 95 degrees.

It is not worth the death of a kid for the TSSAA to lower the 104 mark.

UNC Report on high school football deaths.

25 high school football players have died since 1995.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6301822

Edited by shakinthefat