Teams breaking heat rules

bigredbird

i know for a fact that Rhea County has been. heat index of 110+ and still in full pads, full contact outside. one child nearly fainted, he couldnt walk, and he was just sat to the side and practice continued.

It has not been 110+ index. Sure it has been hot, but not that hot. Their has been one day when it was above 104 index and we were inside. The kid you are referring to was fine. I talked to him while he was sitting in the shade and rehydrating. He just had not adequately hydrated the night before and before practice.

Edited by Rhea Co.

i believe it has been. from a parents perspective, that is not weather anyone should be practicing in. i doubt rhea county issues a 105-110 heat index, and the highschool is recieving a 99-103. even if it is not 104, they should not be full pads outside.

Well luckly for everyone it's going to start to cool down over the next couple of days so this heat issues won't be a problem by kick-off next week.

Same question, different day...What is the penalty for not following the rules?

From the way I understand it the TSSAA dosn't have a cut and dry penalty. I guess it is like anything else they would probably fine the school and the coach, and then threaten to suspend the program in question. That seems to be the status quo from the TSSAA.

But like anything it has to be investigated first by the TSSAA and then Mr. Childress would deal out the punishment that he sees fit.

Edited by Rhea Co.

All of you go to the 3A thread about this and read Scots50 post. This explains it all. The rule is a bunch of garbage. I coach and I am also a parent, as a parent of one that plays I make him get away from the XBOX and get outside during the summer so he is acclimated to the heat. Now, he has a choice, he can quit football and not have to worry about it, but if he is going to play then I demand he do something to help himself. Most parents won't do that, it is easier to gripe or sue someone until they get a rule passed to help their pampered little ones. It is just another part of our society today, no different than discipline being taken out of school. Teachers are expected to educate and make sure little Johnny does well but don't think of saying anything cross to little Johnny and heaven forbid, don't spank his rear end, that may ruin him for life.

Sure, a coach needs to be aware of the conditions and take precautions when he sees a kid struggling, but our answer is to just stop practicing in hot weather. I haven't done a study, but I would bet that 1000 times more kids die in car wrecks each year than from heat strokes, so parents I think you need to take away the keys and stop them from driving. And we could go on and on about the things that we could do to protect them and when we got through, they would have to sit in their house 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but then the house may catch fire................

I have coached in Carolina, Mississippi and TN. I grew up in the heat of East Texas. I have coached teams that practiced in extreme heat, I have made the trip to the emergency room when my boys needed a drip. I understand the issues but this is not really about the heat! It is about ethics and following the rules. If a coach breaks this rule knowing the potential consequences he is being both dishonest and unethical and he puts himself, his staff and his school in jeopardy, not to mention the health of his players. This is not about being tough, it is about following the rules!

I agree, but you didn't respond to what I posted earlier (where I posted THE RULES). Do you undertand that your earlier post regarding the 96 degree heat index and removing equipment was incorrect.

I have coached in Carolina, Mississippi and TN. I grew up in the heat of East Texas. I have coached teams that practiced in extreme heat, I have made the trip to the emergency room when my boys needed a drip. I understand the issues but this is not really about the heat! It is about ethics and following the rules. If a coach breaks this rule knowing the potential consequences he is being both dishonest and unethical and he puts himself, his staff and his school in jeopardy, not to mention the health of his players. This is not about being tough, it is about following the rules!

I agree...but you didn't respond to my earlier post where I pasted THE RULES. You said in an earlier post that players take off pads in 96 degree heat index...that is incorrect. To follow them, to enforce them, we have to KNOW them (and that includes the different counties variation). And as Jake so eloquently put it above, it is too about being tough-not necessarily on that 106 degree day in August, but rather getting our butts out of bed and outside during the summer and getting in shape, climatizing to the heat, learning how to hydrate pre, during, and post, and getting the right nutrition and rest. Don't believe Al Gore...it was dang hot in the 60s too, before there even was a "heat index". It is about education and following the rules...it is not about getting softer as a generation.

Edited by runninreb
  • Upvote 1

All of you go to the 3A thread about this and read Scots50 post. This explains it all. The rule is a bunch of garbage. I coach and I am also a parent, as a parent of one that plays I make him get away from the XBOX and get outside during the summer so he is acclimated to the heat. Now, he has a choice, he can quit football and not have to worry about it, but if he is going to play then I demand he do something to help himself. Most parents won't do that, it is easier to gripe or sue someone until they get a rule passed to help their pampered little ones. It is just another part of our society today, no different than discipline being taken out of school. Teachers are expected to educate and make sure little Johnny does well but don't think of saying anything cross to little Johnny and heaven forbid, don't spank his rear end, that may ruin him for life.

Sure, a coach needs to be aware of the conditions and take precautions when he sees a kid struggling, but our answer is to just stop practicing in hot weather. I haven't done a study, but I would bet that 1000 times more kids die in car wrecks each year than from heat strokes, so parents I think you need to take away the keys and stop them from driving. And we could go on and on about the things that we could do to protect them and when we got through, they would have to sit in their house 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but then the house may catch fire................

AWESOME

You can't scrimmage in full pads even at 104 or 100. There is a chart that we have all been issued and at 96

* we must remove equipment. Ignorance of the policy is not an option.

actually this is not true what the rule states is that at the site of practice or competition if the heatindex is 95-99 then the athletes must be allowed to take a 10 minute timed water break every 30 minutes in which they must be allowed to remove all excess pads. if the heat index rises to 100-103 the athlets still can practice out doors but the must remove all pads and helmets and they must still take 10 minute water breaks every 30 minutes. once the heat index reaches 104 all ouit door activities must be mover indoors to an airconditioned area. now this rule does change a little bit for scrimmages and gameds that are officiated by refs.

This is absolutely beautiful and so right on point! Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this way......almost brought a tear to my eye!

I haven't had to worry much about my son cause I know he got off the Xbox and was outside training and getting acclimated to the heat to be ready for this kind of weather. He still had plenty of time for Xbox after his training and outdoor chores, not to mention this was a great time for him to work on hydration for the next day.

Great stuff here Jake, you hit the nail on the head!