Cheathem at Lipscomb scrimmage

The poster who wondered aloud how good Lipscomb is this year asks the right question. This is not the same DL - at least not yet. Lipscomb's coach always seems to get more with less, but this year could be a real challenge. In the Overton Jamboree their defense looked slow. The Tennesseean picked Pearl Cohn to go to the 3A state title game but finish behind DL (1st) and Maplewood (2nd) in 10AA. No way DL is that good. Maybe they get better, but not right now.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jo Byrns played very well tonight and completely dominated the jamboree against Cheatham County. I would say that regardless of classification a fan of high school football would be very hard pressed to find a better 1-2 PUNCH at the running back position than what the Red Devils have in their offensive attack this season. There were many instances tonight in which I thought the Cubs defensive "diving tackles" looked sloppy and I still believe this HOWEVER with that said part of that is lack of effort and part of it is also the fact that Brandon Holt & Frankie Traughber are just outstanding football players. I thought that up front the Jo Byrns line dominated the battles. This is why they were able to sustain such long drives. There were a couple of occasions in which the Cubs defense came up with huge stops. They battled to stop the Red Devils inside the 5 YARD LINE on one occasion. On 2 other occasions they forced Adkins to throw interceptions (1 by Mitchell Potts & 1 by Paul Farmer). Offensively Devin Conner hit Thatcher Brinkley deep down the middle of the field for a 25 yard completion but the running attack of Shaun Montgomery & Mitchell Potts was held in check throughout the contest. Jo Byrns will go on to have an excellent season and be a major contender in Class 1A as far as the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PICTURE is concerned. This jamboree wraps up a very challenging preseason schedule for Cheatham County that within the last 8 days has included tests against Fairview, David Lipscomb, & Jo Byrns. It doesn't get any easier with a season opener with 3A powerhouse Smith County looming next Friday night.

Spring Hill has a state championship! This old Maury County boy remembers that.

1986. Orlando "Papa" Wade was the tailback.

Living in the present and being familiar with both programs, Spring Hill went to substate in basketball, got in the playoffs in football and were in the state championship game in baseball last year.

The Cubs aren't coming off of anything. They'll be much improved in football because they're a year older and didn't lose much and they have a good coach.

I don't think you want to go all historical with anyone that is knowledgeable about Spring Hill from the old pre-Saturn Buford Gladney days when the Raiders ruled A football in the midstate. Now, they are in one of the fastest growing areas of the state. I don't expect they'll be in AA for long.

... I don't think I could've said it better myself! Actually, I know I couldn't. Even though I knew all of the stats/facts you posted I don't think I could've posted it that well and with efficiency. That's a great post by a very knowledgeable fan and at the same you didn't get desrespectful. Thanks for coming to the defense of Spring Hill High School.

Edited by Vol5198

... I don't think I could've said it better myself! Actually, I know I couldn't. Even though I knew all of the stats/facts you posted I don't think I could've posted it that well and with efficiency. That's a great post by a very knowledgeable fan and at the same you didn't get desrespectful. Thanks for coming to the defense of Spring Hill High School.

Not that I'm happy about all the changes that have happened in Spring Hill. I liked the old small town atmosphere that existed before Saturn came in, the corn field went down and subdivisions went up. Still, that's a program on the rise, particularly in baseball. Their 12 year olds just won Little League state. Let's just say I know alot about both counties having lived in both about 20 years.