Alcoa 64 Middlesboro 0?

OmahaVol

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omaha, now that I've watched a whole lot of national HSFB this weekend. I'll admit that I have found some validity in your statements. :thumb:

I appreciate that. Now, if I can just get BCsportsfan and pepvol to get on the same page with me(no disrespect intended to you two) we will all be on the right track towards getting Alcoa and Maryville some greater national recognition/respect then they already have.

The Championship teams from Georgia would murder Alcoa. Sorry, but high school football is a different animal down there.

Alcoa would not get murdered in GA. They might not be able to run through the big school playoffs and beat the likes of Camden Co, Lowndes, N. Gwinnett, and Northside on a regular basis, but they sure as heck would have an excellent chance at beating the likes of Calhoun, Sandy Creek, or Buford. Also, the verdict is still out on Camden Co. Let's see how they do against Miami Central this weekend. Central is loaded. If they can stay close, or even beat Central, then they are for real again this year. What will that be, 3 titles in a row for them if they take state this year? My pick to win GA this year is N. Gwinnett. I hope they destroy L.A. Crenshaw. That will be a premiere win for GA football.

I appreciate that. Now, if I can just get BCsportsfan and pepvol to get on the same page with me(no disrespect intended to you two) we will all be on the right track towards getting Alcoa and Maryville some greater national recognition/respect then they already have.

Re-read my post Ovol.......I'd like to see Alcoa play better competition. I gave you the reason why Alcoa can not travel all over the country. $$$$$$ Alcoa is a small PUBLIC school in a city of only 7500 people. Boosters make it possible to dress 90+ players and travel to the games that can be played WITHOUT overnight stays.

There IS NOT and unlimited budget like the DII schools have.

Here's my thought......I think the DII schools need to travel to Blount County and play Alcoa and Maryville every year. If they can run the table in BC, THEN go out of state and play. But,I know the DII schools would NOT like the results after a year or two! :popcorneater:

Re-read my post Ovol.......I'd like to see Alcoa play better competition. I gave you the reason why Alcoa can not travel all over the country. $$$$$$ Alcoa is a small PUBLIC school in a city of only 7500 people. Boosters make it possible to dress 90+ players and travel to the games that can be played WITHOUT overnight stays.

There IS NOT and unlimited budget like the DII schools have.

Here's my thought......I think the DII schools need to travel to Blount County and play Alcoa and Maryville every year. If they can run the table in BC, THEN go out of state and play. But,I know the DII schools would NOT like the results after a year or two! :popcorneater:

Look, the money apparently is NOT a problem for the Alcoa boosters. If you can travel and play Bell Co one year and Middlesboro the next, then you could certainly travel to NC, GA, AL, or even to MS to play Olive Branch or S. Panola. Even Cincinnati,OH would not be too far to travel. Those sites would all be regionally, not nationally. Once you start winning regionally, the national boosters will kick in. You will get noticed and companies like ESPN, Nike, Foxsports, etc will help you with expenses when you travel. That's how it's done. Your school will not have to foot the entire bill. You will get some help. But, you gotta get out there aand beat some other top OOS teams.

I can appreciate the cost issue, but let’s be realistic using a current example.

MUS can travel 70 miles south in the same time zone to Batesville, MS, and play a program in South Panola that had a gaudy winning streak (even longer than Maryville’s gaudy one)…and which has had higher and more frequent visits in national polls than any other program in Tennessee this decade…and plays in the highest classification in its state…in a state that, quite frankly, has dominated Tennessee like no other in head-to-head matchups. But, such a trip gets MUS the opportunity to host the same top-notch program the next year. This is a series that can be done economically, expeditiously, and, in many neutral observers’ eyes, a series that battle-tests MUS like no other that can be found in its own state.

Alternatively, MUS can travel 300 miles east across another time zone and play a program (or programs) that are certainly fabulous in their own right, and certainly have very strong resumes themselves, but, in any neutral observer’s eye, are, on paper, a notch below South Panola. AND, for their effort, MUS gets to make the same trip back to East Tennessee the next year. Even if the trips provided a better chance for a victory, they are timely, expensive trips that have less bang for the buck.

We all have biases. We all have our teams. But, in debates like these, one has to separate himself from allegiances and look at matters rationally. And, in this case, any unbiased observer is almost always going to tell you an MUS will take the home-and-home with South Panola and be better off on many levels. Anyone who thinks an MUS would prefer to go to East Tennessee and not get a return trip from the opponent cannot separate oneself from the topic enough to see it rationally. Anyone who think MUS would be ducking East Tennessee is too trapped in a bubble to see things impartially.

(Aside...Maybe MUS should take the East Tennessee option for state pride and allegiance. But, given that when the discussion of West Tennessee football comes up, many people choose to exclude Memphis schools for some odd reason, it's hard to say feelings of state unity would be a deciding factor for MUS.)

I don’t think schools should be punished in the public’s eye for who they schedule or don’t schedule. However, schools that do travel and/or schedule up because they can and/or choose to can’t be held back in perception either. Just as Alcoa doesn’t have anything to prove to its detractors, an MUS certainly shouldn’t apologize for the scheduling situation it puts itself into – a situation that, if the chips fall advantageously, may give an MUS a little more recognition.

I like these debates, and I don’t like them. Feelings get touchy. People get defensive. But, the underlying sentiment behind them – more favorable external opinions of Tennessee high school football as a whole – should be something we all support across any front for any program.

Look, the money apparently is NOT a problem for the Alcoa boosters. If you can travel and play Bell Co one year and Middlesboro the next, then you could certainly travel to NC, GA, AL, or even to MS to play Olive Branch or S. Panola. Even Cincinnati,OH would not be too far to travel. Those sites would all be regionally, not nationally. Once you start winning regionally, the national boosters will kick in. You will get noticed and companies like ESPN, Nike, Foxsports, etc will help you with expenses when you travel. That's how it's done. Your school will not have to foot the entire bill. You will get some help. But, you gotta get out there aand beat some other top OOS teams.

Read my post in the thread "Who in 3A can play with Alcoa" :popcorneater:

I like these debates, and I don’t like them. Feelings get touchy. People get defensive. But, the underlying sentiment behind them – more favorable external opinions of Tennessee high school football as a whole – should be something we all support across any front for any program.

Excellent post RRR. You always make good points. I especially like the last paragraph...."But, the underlying sentiment behind them – more favorable external opinions of Tennessee high school football as a whole – should be something we all support across any front for any program." That says it all.