Alcoa 64 Middlesboro 0?

OmahaVol

Well let a Maryville guy set you guys straight. Just kidding really, figured I would be the last one anyone wants to hear from LOL. But being a Maryville grad and supporter this type of thread looks pretty familiar. Alcoa is having a very good run, and with that comes a bullseye on your back. Whether intentional or not you become a bit villified by some for your success. Nothing is ever enough. You have it too easy and that type of thing. You string some State Titles and wins together and suddenly you are supposed to over night go out and start traveling across the country to play others. There was another thread on here by A-Town 1408 called Farragut Who? And he was pointing out Alcoa's dismantling of larger schools in scrimmages. He took some heat from some of his own for the way he worded some things but I can relate to his position. Alcoa gets accused of playing soft competition so when they handle those bigger schools in scrimmages A Town thought it was appropriate to point that out. I think that is fair on his part. Maryville was accused of hiding in 4A for years. They moved up last year and finished runner up and that has quietened it a bit. But in terms of Alcoa and what they have or have not proven. Last year they beat the 6A runnerup pretty good. I think that says about all that needs to be said for how good they are. Alcoa, like Maryville a couple of years back is ranked nationally. They have no control over that, and they are not obligated to go all over the place playing people to legitimize it. They are playing in their proper classification, just like we were regardless of what others want to believe. And if it is so easy why aren't many others having the same success? Just my two cents worth. During our run people would point out when we beat Alcoa they are a small school so "big deal". We knew each time we had beaten a very good football team. Now Alcoa has stepped it up a notch and it just proves our train of thought.

Excellent post. On target!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let a Maryville guy set you guys straight. Just kidding really, figured I would be the last one anyone wants to hear from LOL. But being a Maryville grad and supporter this type of thread looks pretty familiar. Alcoa is having a very good run, and with that comes a bullseye on your back. Whether intentional or not you become a bit villified by some for your success. Nothing is ever enough. You have it too easy and that type of thing. You string some State Titles and wins together and suddenly you are supposed to over night go out and start traveling across the country to play others. There was another thread on here by A-Town 1408 called Farragut Who? And he was pointing out Alcoa's dismantling of larger schools in scrimmages. He took some heat from some of his own for the way he worded some things but I can relate to his position. Alcoa gets accused of playing soft competition so when they handle those bigger schools in scrimmages A Town thought it was appropriate to point that out. I think that is fair on his part. Maryville was accused of hiding in 4A for years. They moved up last year and finished runner up and that has quietened it a bit. But in terms of Alcoa and what they have or have not proven. Last year they beat the 6A runnerup pretty good. I think that says about all that needs to be said for how good they are. Alcoa, like Maryville a couple of years back is ranked nationally. They have no control over that, and they are not obligated to go all over the place playing people to legitimize it. They are playing in their proper classification, just like we were regardless of what others want to believe. And if it is so easy why aren't many others having the same success? Just my two cents worth. During our run people would point out when we beat Alcoa they are a small school so "big deal". We knew each time we had beaten a very good football team. Now Alcoa has stepped it up a notch and it just proves our train of thought.

Amen to that! :thumb:

Really? This is how you treat someone who wants ALL of TN to succeed and get better? TN is down this year nationally and, right now, Alcoa is the top team in the state. Why not show it nationally? I've always been an admirer of Alcoa's and I would love to see them face other OOS competition. So, to answer your question, yes, it is a concern of mine to see Alcoa play OOS competition and succeed. Better showings OOS bring more exposure to other good teams from TN. This will, in turn, help out our college football programs as well. We all know the Big Orange need some help these days.

If that's the case then join the Boosters and start kicking some paper Alcoa's way. :popcorneater:

Alcoa vs Greenville, Alcoa vs Pearl Cohn, Alcoa vs Riverdale, Alcoa vs David Lispcomb or Goodpasture.

David Lipscomb nor Goodpasture could stay within 30 of Alcoa this year. Both teams are very good football programs with great coaches but Alcoa would name their score against either of them. Pearl-Cohn has athletes but they are not a championship caliber team in terms of discipline at this point. Alcoa would beat them by 30 points if the teams met today.

I would love to see Alcoa come to middle-TN and play a very good AAA school like Riverdale, Oakland, Smyrna, or Brentwood. I believe it would be worth the trip for the Tornadoes. I don't believe any of them could beat Alcoa this year but I still think it would be a game worth actually attending.

When Alcoa was in 2A and White House was in 3A in 2007 & 2008 the Tornadoes beat the Blue Devils very badly each time those teams met. During those 2 seasons White House was a 3A Quarterfinalist & a 3A Semifinalist. In each contest they weren't in the same universe as Alcoa.

Outside of a strong Class AAA program there is really no team that could provide the Tornadoes with any type of realistic challenge this season. That is just a fact of life!

I don't think Goodpasture is ready to play Alcoa again...Check out the scores from state championships:

2005: Alcoa 55 Goodpasture 13

2006: Alcoa 31 Goodpasture 3

2007: Alcoa 35 Goodpasture 3

Maybe you meant to say a different school?

I believe Goodpasture is 1-5 against Alcoa. With every game pretty much determining a State Championship. I wouldnt be surprised if GP never wants to see Alcoa on the field again.

Pipe dream? Alcoa will need to pick up 4 games next season. It would be nice to stay in state. If Oakland wants a home and away, one phone call is all it would take.

I was referring to the fact that with the current system, it no longer is beneficial to play the tough schedule. Of course, Oakland did have problems finding teams the last time around..........