Alcoa 64 Middlesboro 0?

OmahaVol

Why did Alcoa play this team? Middlesboro,KY should not have even been on the same field with a team like Alcoa. They are a 2A KY team that finished with a 4-8 record last year. That had no business playing a team the calibur of Alcoa. Alcoa crushed a top 4A team(Bell Co.) last year. I really wish they would've stepped up and played a better team to show how dominate they really are. I really think they could beat any of KY's top teams. Why not play Trinity, St. X, Highlands, or Boyle County? That would've really have gotten them noticed nationally. They could've cancelled with Middlesboro and taken on one of those aforementioned teams. Didn't Alcoa play Bell Co up there last year? If so, then cancelling out on a back-to-back traveling OOS game would not have looked that bad. If Riverdale can step up and play St. X(game scheduled next year) then Alcoa should too. Alcoa fans, fill me in......

BTW, I personally think Alcoa is the best team in TN this year. I wish they would play more OOS games, but against top teams.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did Alcoa play this team? Middlesboro,KY should not have even been on the same field with a team like Alcoa. They are a 2A KY team that finished with a 4-8 record last year. That had no business playing a team the calibur of Alcoa. Alcoa crushed a top 4A team(Bell Co.) last year. I really wish they would've stepped up and played a better team to show how dominate they really are. I really think they could beat any of KY's top teams. Why not play Trinity, St. X, Highlands, or Boyle County? That would've really have gotten them noticed nationally. They could've cancelled with Middlesboro and taken on one of those aforementioned teams. Didn't Alcoa play Bell Co up there last year? If so, then cancelling out on a back-to-back traveling OOS game would not have looked that bad. If Riverdale can step up and play St. X(game scheduled next year) then Alcoa should too. Alcoa fans, fill me in......

BTW, I personally think Alcoa is the best team in TN this year. I wish they would play more OOS games, but against top teams.

From my viewpoint, the answer is quite simple: TSSAA. Their re-districting plan put Alcoa in a four team district thus giving Alcoa a four team base schedule. Add the standard Maryville game and you have 5 games. William Blount and Heritage refuse to schedule Alcoa because they know they will lose. With TSSAA's new state championship configurations, any loss hurts your bid for the playoffs.

Alcoa did try to get out of this game. When that was not possible, they tried to play Bell County again and BC wanted no part of it.

It may only get worse next year. The KY City County bowl contract is complete, the Howard home and away is complete, and the McMinn Central series may be complete. If I am correct, we have only 7 games next year. Somebody set me straight if I am not on target here.

Edited by scots50

Ever since the Blount County schools dropped Alcoa, it has been difficult to find 10 games. The first year in 2005 after the county schools dropped Alcoa, it was easy to get the big schools to sign up. But, after Alcoa signed a home and away with DII McCallie and beat them both years, now even the big schools will not sign up..........locally, Webb said...no, Catholic said no, McCallie to continue the series.....no......plus Alcoa scrimmages Oak Ridge and Farragut every year,so they know it would be a bad choice to sign a game. Now, Fulton has never backed down. And, I expect a great game from the falcons this season.

So, the next choice would be to travel out of state or across state. Travel cost money. It is not in the budget for a small public school to travel. Unlike a luxury that a DII has, it is not for a small public school. Alcoa has a hard enough time dressing out 90+ players. All from a school with a little over 500 students. Yes, the boosters do an excellent job building funds and the community really pitches in, But would need to go to a level much greater to be able to travel these power high schools out of state 3-4 games a year.

Alcoa enjoyed playing Bell County last year. The Cats are a great team and program. To bad the City/County bowl series contract required Alcoa to play both the city(Middlesboro) and county(Bell County)schools.

Ever since the Blount County schools dropped Alcoa, it has been difficult to find 10 games. The first year in 2005 after the county schools dropped Alcoa, it was easy to get the big schools to sign up. But, after Alcoa signed a home and away with DII McCallie and beat them both years, now even the big schools will not sign up..........locally, Webb said...no, Catholic said no, McCallie to continue the series.....no......plus Alcoa scrimmages Oak Ridge and Farragut every year,so they know it would be a bad choice to sign a game. Now, Fulton has never backed down. And, I expect a great game from the falcons this season.

So, the next choice would be to travel out of state or across state. Travel cost money. It is not in the budget for a small public school to travel. Unlike a luxury that a DII has, it is not for a small public school. Alcoa has a hard enough time dressing out 90+ players. All from a school with a little over 500 students. Yes, the boosters do an excellent job building funds and the community really pitches in, But would need to go to a level much greater to be able to travel these power high schools out of state 3-4 games a year.

Alcoa enjoyed playing Bell County last year. The Cats are a great team and program. To bad the City/County bowl series contract required Alcoa to play both the city(Middlesboro) and county(Bell County)schools.

Interesting to hear Webb said NO to the Tornadoes. The Spartan faithful are quick to take shots at CAK about not extending our contract to play them in football, yet, we play Alcoa twice a year most of the time. So Webb isn't "walking the walk". Just saying :rolleyes: Has Alcoa contacted Asheville, NC? I know they scheduled Elizabethton to a home and home?

Interesting to hear Webb said NO to the Tornadoes. The Spartan faithful are quick to take shots at CAK about not extending our contract to play them in football, yet, we play Alcoa twice a year most of the time. So Webb isn't "walking the walk". Just saying :rolleyes: Has Alcoa contacted Asheville, NC? I know they scheduled Elizabethton to a home and home?

Alcoa played Webb for several years in the late `90's and early `00's. Check the scores. :ph34r:

Alcoa fans do not get caught up with this guy. These questions have been answered before. The fact is that Alcoa has nothing to prove to him or anyone else-locally or nationally!

We have a big fish to fry next week. Let's go Alcoa :thumb:

Actually Alcoa fans, don't listen to THIS guy. Alcoa has absolutely earned their respect locally. Now, it is time to earn that respect nationally. Why not? When you've conquered your state, which I believe Alcoa has, then you move on to greener pastures. You don't need to play 3 or 4 games OOS every year. That would be way too much money. However, their are plenty of teams from KY, GA, AL, or even NC that would play. St. X or Trinity in KY never back down. Prattville and Hoover in AL never back down. Camden Co or Buford in GA never back down. Those are just a few examples. You guys have options. Go get'em, boys! I talk you guys up on the national boards every year. Most people are impressed, but some would love to see better competition. As would I.

Actually Alcoa fans, don't listen to THIS guy. Alcoa has absolutely earned their respect locally. Now, it is time to earn that respect nationally. Why not? When you've conquered your state, which I believe Alcoa has, then you move on to greener pastures. You don't need to play 3 or 4 games OOS every year. That would be way too much money. However, their are plenty of teams from KY, GA, AL, or even NC that would play. St. X or Trinity in KY never back down. Prattville and Hoover in AL never back down. Camden Co or Buford in GA never back down. Those are just a few examples. You guys have options. Go get'em, boys! I talk you guys up on the national boards every year. Most people are impressed, but some would love to see better competition. As would I.

I appreciate your support on the national boards but it still comes down to finances.