Sikeston,MO @ Obion Co. Central

I must say that Sikeston is one of the better all-around teams I have seen in awhile. The Bulldogs are talented at EVERY position. With that said, the TD at the end of the first half was a killer for OC. The passing game looked good, very good. Still lots of work to do for the Rebs, but this game did put OC in a tough early season game, and allows Coach Jackson and his staff to see not only where the team is at, but what needs work. Expect the work to be done this week. Loved the fact this bunch kept fighting. This is a fun team to watch, and will keep getting better. BIG GAME Friday, at home with Crockett Co.

GO REBELS!!!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw where Sikeston was picked #1 in the SEMO Top 33.....

SEMO 33 | 2010 preseason

The preseason SemoSportsWeb.com SEMO 33 football poll, determined with input from area coaches, players, fans and media, shown with last season's win-loss record and final 2009 ranking:

1. Sikeston (13-1) Previous: 2

2. Farmington (5-5) Previous: 10

3. Valle (14-1) Previous: 1

4. NMCC (9-4) Previous: 3

5. Caruthersville (10-3) Previous: 7

6. Thayer (9-2) Previous: 6

7. Crystal City (7-5) Previous: 8

8. Fredericktown (6-5) Previous: 13

9. Salem (7-4) Previous: 9

10. Park Hills Central (7-3) Previous: 15

11. Festus (6-5) Previous: 11

12. Ste. Genevieve (2-8) Previous: 21

13. Potosi (11-1) Previous: 4

14. Cape Girardeau Central (0-10) Previous: 30

15. Kennett (3-7) Previous: 24

16. Poplar Bluff (8-4) Previous: 5

17. Malden (2-8) Previous: 27

18. Dexter (5-6) Previous: 17

19. East Prairie (8-3) Previous: 14

20. Herculaneum (7-4) Previous: 12

21. DeSoto (6-4) Previous: 16

22. Hayti (6-5) Previous: 19

23. Charleston (1-9) Previous: 31

24. St. Vincent (5-6) Previous: 18

25. North County (3-8) Previous: 20

26. Portageville (4-6) Previous: 22

27. Jackson (1-9) Previous: 23

28. Perryville (1-9) Previous: 29

29. Hillsboro (1-9) Previous: 28

30. Grandview (3-8) Previous: 25

31. St. Pius X (2-8) Previous: 26

32. Scott City (2-8) Previous: 32

33. Chaffee (1-8) Previous: 33

I don't know who came up with this poll but some of these teams are not in SEMO.

Tough loss for the Rebels but a learning loss and alot gained at the same time. The Rebels shot themselves in the foot , especially in the first half and didn't help matters from what I saw.

The Rebels has what it takes and are progressing very well. The passing game is on, the running game seems ok but with a team with much defense, going to be tough. If Fair is the only runner, may be tough there.

Defense still needs tons of work. It is early and the Rebels have to regroup to play yet another good Crockett Co. Team this week.

The Rebels are moving in the right direction and seem to have what it takes to make some noise.

Keep your heads high.

Good Luck Rebs....

Listening to Coach Jackson on the post game show last night basically summed up the defensive effort....These guys are behind the offense right now because they just put this system in in the summer....They ran a completely different scheme in the Spring...With that said, there is no excuse for that many rushing yards....Yes, Sikeston has one of the best all around teams I've seen in awhile but if they make atleast 2 stops they win this game...no problem...The offense is almost impossible to stop....Phipps is a good quarterback that makes good decisions and has receivers that can catch the ball.....Another thing I did notice, The Rebels will have to be able to run the ball....40 yards won't win you a game....I really expect to see ALOT better performance from the D next Friday night against Crockett and coming away with a big win....

GO REBELS!!!

What I mean is I don't understand why some of the teams are in this poll and they aren't in SEMO, such as Potosi, Hillsboro, Crystal City, and Festus.

Yeah, I don't know...I'm not from up there....It's their poll and I guess they set their own boundaries...I guess they figure anything south of St. Louis is considered SEMO...If you cut the state into four sections, those places would be in the southeast quadrant...

Some pics from the game....

http://www.standard-democrat.com/gallery/6101/

Article about the game...There are at least two corrections to be made...The first Rebel TD was a 8 yard pass from Phipps to Weaks...Not McGrew..And the 42 yard option pass was from Weaks to Ward...Not McGrew to Weaks....

http://www.standard-democrat.com/story/1660271.html

Sikeston was very impressive. I applaud Coach Jackson for scheduling them. Sikeston had a very balanced attack. They had more team speed than anyone the Rebels will face this season. The OC offense was exciting, and may have pulled off the victory if they could have established the run, but Sikeston was so quick to the ball that they shut it down. Very impressed with the Rebel offensive line in not allowing any sacks, and very few pressures. Phipps had time to find the receivers and that aspect looked good. As for the defense, yes they have much work to do. Hopefully normal starter Garland will return this week at cornerback to shore up the pass defense, but against Crockett County the defensive line will have to stand their ground. The Rebel linebackers did a good job against the Bulldogs but there were still several missed tackles. There were a couple of sack opportunities for the Rebel D-line where they simply over ran the play. Each team only punted once in the game. No loss is ever good in my book, but overall I liked what I saw from the Rebels. There was no quit in those boys and I for one think that is an extreme turnaround from the last few years. If OC can keep up the intensity, they might very well be back in the playoffs this year. I truly do not see any other team on their schedule that will be as talented, athletic and disciplined as Sikeston was. Westview may be as balanced as Sikeston, but I don't think they will be a better team.

The Rebel linebackers had better be able to cross-read the backs for this week, as Crockett loves the crossbuck out of their Wing set. With a little used pass attack by Crockett, perhaps the Rebel D-line should play gap control this week and not focus on penetration. Gap control can minimize the run game better than penetration for the Rebels at this point. Congrats to Sikeston on a great team and great game. Rebels, keep those heads high. You're looking good despite the loss. GO REBELS!!!

What's encouraging about Phipps is he is only a junior....He is still learning to read defenses...He threw to some covered receivers when he had others open...He could have at least had 5 or 6 interceptions had Sikeston's defenders not dropped the ball...When he gets comfortable checking down to that second or even third receiver, he is going to be something else, especially with the kids he has got catching his passes...

Who knows ??...P.A. may throw a bomb on the first play but coach Jackson and coach Fowler sure don't need to lose the game with CC getting 350-400 yards rushing...justaOCfan is right...OC had ample ops to bring down Sikeston players behind the line or for little gain...They just didn't wrap up or they seemed to pull up...That's what happens when you practice in shells all the time...I'm sorry, I'm just not a believer in that..In college it may work but in high school, kids need to learn how to hit and wrap up and bring somebody to the ground...

Very True. I also do not think it is good to practice during the early part of the season in the morning time when it is the coolest. With summer like temperatures, the kids needs to get use to the weather conditions and usually the first two or three games of the season, the temps are pretty warm. Practicing in the afternoon does better on conditioning. I may be wrong.

From what I saw in the game aginst both Fulton Co. and the Sikeston games, O C hitting was a little suspect. Toughness is not the answer but something is missing. Maybe that will come and it will with time, practice and experience for sure.

Good Luck gang...

Edited by UCGRAD

Very True. I also do not think it is good to practice during the early part of the season in the morning time when it is the coolest. With summer like temperatures, the kids needs to get use to the weather conditions and usually the first two or three games of the season, the temps are pretty warm. Practicing in the afternoon does better on conditioning. I may be wrong.

From what I saw in the game aginst both Fulton Co. and the Sikeston games, O C hitting was a little suspect. Toughness is not the answer but something is missing. Maybe that will come and it will with time, practice and experience for sure.

Good Luck gang...

I don't think time of day means anything...The teams practicing in the afternoons had to wait here and wait there because of the temperature...I've heard numerous coaches talk about how frustrating it has been to get a workout in....OC hasn't had that problem and we all know it's been warm enough this summer in the mornings...They are very well conditioned..They worked hard in the weight room...They ran their fast break style offense most of the whole game against Sikeson and still had plenty in the tank...Sikeston, on the other hand, was doubled over s u c k i n g wind at the end of the game...

I saw what the shells practicing did at Union City...It turned one of the most physical teams in the area into one of the weakest...Linemen could pass block but couldn't put their hand on the ground and come out of a stance and run block...What was the main thing you heard about during the Fishel-era about his defenses ??...Missed tackles...They even kept a stat on it...That stat was usually in the paper every Monday or Wednesday...

What's missing is kids taking correct angles to the ball...You see people not wrapping up...You see kids hitting out of bounds or you see them pulling up right before they make a hit because you don't take people to the ground in shells....Look, if you want to go in shells during the regular season, fine but during the preseason and two-a-days you got to hit..Do one on ones...Do eye-openers..Practice in full pads and hit..I've yet to ever see a football game at any level, other than flag, played in shells...If you are so worried about getting hurt, you'll end up getting hurt..Anybody ever wonder why OC has so many kids with shoulder injuries??..Something to think about...