Let's go back to region play in 2011-2012

ELA

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to go back to the old playoff format in 2011?

• yes
    • no

I hope enough coaches and administrators put pressure on the TSSAA to go back to the old playoff format and take the top four teams in each region. Keep the six classes we have now in D1 because of the number of schools but abandon these combined districts at the end of this season before we start scheduling for the next two years!

Edited by ELA

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't disagree but one of the main reasons for going down to three regular season classes was the travel involved with a five-class division. Moving it back up even wider, to six classes, would make things worse.

I understand but we will not see that happen because of the large number of schools in the state and more coming on in the next two years.

I have no problem going back to region play but I think that the 6 classifications we have now are way too many. I thought that 5 was too many in previous years. Also, some time ago getting to the playoffs meant something. It meant that you were the best or one of the 2 best in your district/region. Players and coaches had to fight harder if they wanted to make it in. It was special. Now, when 4 teams from a region go then it doesn't mean you were good, it just means that you were good enough. Sure, with more classes and more teams in it means that more players and fans can experience a few more games but to me it just seems to water it down. That's just my opinion though --- which amounts to nothing.

I have no problem going back to region play but I think that the 6 classifications we have now are way too many. I thought that 5 was too many in previous years. Also, some time ago getting to the playoffs meant something. It meant that you were the best or one of the 2 best in your district/region. Players and coaches had to fight harder if they wanted to make it in. It was special. Now, when 4 teams from a region go then it doesn't mean you were good, it just means that you were good enough. Sure, with more classes and more teams in it means that more players and fans can experience a few more games but to me it just seems to water it down. That's just my opinion though --- which amounts to nothing.

The reason for six is because of the number of schools in the state. Each year we increase the number of schools playing football and you are limited to eight regions in each classification creating large regions. From an administrative point of view, one must be able to schedule non-district games with teams in other classifications within your area to continue rivalries and provide gates or income for the program. With fewer classes we have huge regions and it becomes problematic to solve scheduling conflicts. SIX classes are being used in smaller states like Alabama, so it is not too many for TN.

I looked closer at 3A and even with the current teams in it, it could work. You'd have to be creative, to do the regions without too much travel I pushed them to 11 regions-playoffs would include top two from each region and then 10 wild cards. Regions would include 4 to 6 teams. I still don't think it would work with the current 1A playoff teams, haven't looked yet at the other classes.

I looked closer at 3A and even with the current teams in it, it could work. You'd have to be creative, to do the regions without too much travel I pushed them to 11 regions-playoffs would include top two from each region and then 10 wild cards. Regions would include 4 to 6 teams. I still don't think it would work with the current 1A playoff teams, haven't looked yet at the other classes.

why would you want wildcards? that just makes human error more prone. if top 4 go, then you know you've GOT to get into the top 4 in your region, otherwise you won't make it. if you had 10 wildcards, how do you decide who gets it?

why would you want wildcards? that just makes human error more prone. if top 4 go, then you know you've GOT to get into the top 4 in your region, otherwise you won't make it. if you had 10 wildcards, how do you decide who gets it?

I wouldn't want wildcards necessarily but if you're talking six classes, using the current playoff groups, there's no way you could get 8 regions without far too much regular season travel. More than 8 would result in wildcards, plus it would help eliminate the teams with records below .500. Go top two in each grouping (region, district, whatever you want to call it), add the wildcards divide them into four quadrants the way it's done now then group them 1-8 the way it's done now.

The way it was a couple of years ago was fine,why does it matter if sub par teams make the playoffs.The cream always rises to the top.

True... I liked the concept of the three classes splitting into six but after experiencing it for one season I think we should seriously look at going back to the old scheme but keeping the six classes. 8 REGIONS should workout with six classes and take the top four in each class.

True... I liked the concept of the three classes splitting into six but after experiencing it for one season I think we should seriously look at going back to the old scheme but keeping the six classes. 8 REGIONS should workout with six classes and take the top four in each class.

Seems fine to me.Its a big mess now and very few understands it.1a ,3a and 5a teams are at a disadvantage.