Week 2

MVM

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is definitely my strategy in scheduling, tho I can't take all the credit on this one with coming in so late. My comment was meant as a joke. I love playing the best!!!

I can't wait for this season to unfold for OR, i'm not from there nor do I have a horse in that race, but I know several on the team and have had the joy and pleasure of watching them play. (The younger freshman and the upperclassman) I don't want to understate that they have one of the greatest talents I have seen in a long time. She has it all, she made a believer out of me, the first time our team played them. Lets all kick back and watch the season and next four years unfold. Good Luck OR....!! (Sorry Akula, can't let you get by being so modest)

I can't wait for this season to unfold for OR, i'm not from there nor do I have a horse in that race, but I know several on the team and have had the joy and pleasure of watching them play. (The younger freshman and the upperclassman) I don't want to understate that they have one of the greatest talents I have seen in a long time. She has it all, she made a believer out of me, the first time our team played them. Lets all kick back and watch the season and next four years unfold. Good Luck OR....!! (Sorry Akula, can't let you get by being so modest)

While I appreciate AAA's enthusiasm for a particular club team or younger player (a reoccurring theme of his), lets look at the big picture as the younger players make the transition from MS-age club to the HS game. This is not singling out any one team or particular player. This is an observation (over a dozen years of seeing this) albeit unqualified, about how new freshmen transition to the HS game.

In general one age group compared against itself such as a competitive U15G is only one data point. Let us remember that HS soccer is about 4 years of a mix of ages and abilities. Someone said that the "usual suspects" of talented HS teams are mostly D2, D1, and Premier level players rolled into one school team. The best HS teams seem to have the most D1 and Premier level players as a rule rather than an exception every year. These teams seem to come from populated areas with feeder programs. Every year its the same teams, and one or two new players come up that catch the eye.

Younger players will adjust to the HS game. Some will do it quicker. Some will not like the fact that as freshmen, there is a "rite of passage" that all seem to go through, and they are again on the bottom of the food chain. Maybe its called paying dues in some circles, but in its purest form, it is a reality check. Some players will quickly realize there are other players just as good as they, possibly better.

Some MS age club teams did not prepare for more physical HS, by playing easy schedules. The HS game is faster, more physical, more sophisticated than a middle school age club match. Some of the older players were young standouts as well, having grown, and improved over 3 years. Younger players can learn from them, and older players can see how hungry younger players are and not be complacent.

Older players are mature physically, and emotionally and have been put through the test of a few seasons. They may be hitting their stride as they push to make it to the next level after HS. The new players entering HS might have been standouts on their respective club teams, but now, they have to bring their game up and as one coach has said, "grow up" to this level as many have had to do in the past. Younger players no matter how good amongst their own age, will have adjustments in the transition to HS play and this takes games, nature, and nurture.

There are very distinct challenges the player coming out of middle school will encounter at the high school level. Playing against faster, bigger players is a given. There are also different systems, broader tactical awareness, and possibly playing different positions and realizing that they will have to play as a team. Mostly they have to continue to believe in themselves when put to the test, and have confidence to try new things and work with new players. Each year has its standouts, and we should be cautious about hyping up new younger players because we do not want them to fail.

We should keep a watchful eye on our younger talent, and nurture them so that they can succeed in time. They are the future asset. Lets cheer them on as many have been pressed into starting roles but let us not put them in a position where if they do not achieve instant success, or live up to impossible expectations, it would be a rougher road ahead.

Edited by OTP2012

AAA this seems to be a reoccurring theme for you with multiple posts. We should not put pressure on our younger players as they adjust to the faster, more physical HS play than MS-age club play. We want them to succeed and grow into the game. There are a lot of talented players out there, and as you get more versed with HS soccer, you will come to know that the perennial HS powers always seem to reload year after year.

Edited by OTP2012

AAA I share your enthusiasm for the new players, however this seems to be a reoccuring theme for you, that is plugging the freshman club team exploits. I do not want to be callous and say it doesn't matter, however it is apples and oranges. I believe that the HS level play is much different than the MS-age club play you may have been watching. For starters, very good HS teams have 4 years worth of top competetive players, some D1 and Premier level. Some of the new players can hang with them, and some will take time to "grow" (physically, emotionally, knowledge of the game). There will be a learning curve for the younger players and we do want all players to succeed regardless of younger or more experienced, without putting undue pressure on them. The season is still young as well. I hope you find enjoyment in the games you will be watching and realize that no matter the player, there is always adjustment, things to learn, and challenging opportunities at the next level.

OTP--Can you re-post your earlier, longer reply? It was simply outstanding and something that every freshman and maybe even sophomore parent needs to read.

OTP--Can you re-post your earlier, longer reply? It was simply outstanding and something that every freshman and maybe even sophomore parent needs to read.

Sorry Wired, I deleted it. It was too long, and could have been the source of some controversy since there could be some parents that would not take kindly to a reality check. Maybe the moderators can resurrect it. There is some food for thought though, that is how new younger players can ease in to a highly competetive environment that possibly involves much older, faster, stronger, more skilled players without putting them through stress and the ringer. The last thing anyone wants is for a new HS player to feel overwhelmed and discouraged. If they fail, it will be hard to get them up again. It also depends on the coach. I have seen coaches that beat players down and coaches that will encourage and build them up. I am very pleased our team has the latter. I love the energy level and hunger of the younger players and their enthusiasm. This is what will keep the older players on their toes as well. This is the time to build confidence, but als the time to take it all in and learn. This is where the older players can come in and help settle them in. There is a wealth of knowledge in these players, because they have been there.

OTP, I restored all of the post since I didn't know which one was referred too. I will go back and erase any you would like me to remove, however, I didn't see anything to warrant deletion. I think you spoke your opinion fairly and if others disagree then they have the opportunity to do so in civil manner. Good Luck to All!!!!!

OTP, I restored all of the post since I didn't know which one was referred too. I will go back and erase any you would like me to remove, however, I didn't see anything to warrant deletion. I think you spoke your opinion fairly and if others disagree then they have the opportunity to do so in civil manner. Good Luck to All!!!!!

Hey akula21, you can delete all but the larger one, since that is the one Wired wanted. Thanks! I do want to be civil and helpful as well. I am learning new stuff too.

Based on what I saw last year, and they seemed young and fairly strong, I would have expected a stronger game from EH (score-wise)...(or is SD really that good this year ???)

D

It was 5-0. And while Soddy played well, EHS is missing four or five starters and is still young two seniors and two 8th grade players getting significant minutes. Be interesting to see how EHS responds over the course the season and very interesting to see how this program develops over the next couple of years.