RHEA COUNTY vs. DEVRIN YOUNG (BEARDEN)

EaglePride1

If they didn't play as bad of politics as the current administration, then I don't care if you put GQ (George Quarles for the newbies) in Green and Gold. As long as the best 11 players were put on the field, we'd be just fine. However, some players in the past have played just because 'mommy' or 'daddy' had a good sized checkbook or was president, vp, etc of the booster club so Little Johnny got to play.

Sounds like you need to help the booster club or open your check book.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they didn't play as bad of politics as the current administration, then I don't care if you put GQ (George Quarles for the newbies) in Green and Gold. As long as the best 11 players were put on the field, we'd be just fine. However, some players in the past have played just because 'mommy' or 'daddy' had a good sized checkbook or was president, vp, etc of the booster club so Little Johnny got to play.

What an idiotic post. Get off the booster club and the check books. For the last several years the club has had only a hand few of volunteers and very little open check books. Plain and simple ( not bashing the coach's here ) the coach's are on the field during practice and they know who can do it and who can't. So take your whining and moaning else where when you want to point fingers at players.

I am nowhere near ignorant of the program or high school football. I have not missed a game, home or away, rain or shine, since the 80s. I sit in the same spot every week at home and have a seat at all the away games. Having seen the program through all kinds of regime changes, I know quite a lot about how the coaches function. I know Coach Cameron takes care of his boys. But I know for a fact that 'his boys' are not 'all the boys'. Ask the players on the team now, or the players from the past few years. He has certain ones picked out that get all the playing time and all the credit. If you're not one of them, then you mine as well try to play defense for Fitz cause you have about as much chance of getting on the field as a WR or RB for Walt than a certain place freezing over :roflol:

In 2 post you go from a group to 1........ :roflol:

What an idiotic post. Get off the booster club and the check books. For the last several years the club has had only a hand few of volunteers and very little open check books. Plain and simple ( not bashing the coach's here ) the coach's are on the field during practice and they know who can do it and who can't. So take your whining and moaning else where when you want to point fingers at players.

:thumb:

I don't know what time period you're refering to but that's not the case now. I've been to the booster club meetings and I know how many parents attend - very few. And the parents who attend, yea, their kids play but they deserve to play. They're some of the most talented kids we've got on the team. So stupid post on your part, majority. Change your name to UnsilentMinority.

I think it is comical how parents and former players get on here and state their opinions. It really doesn't matter what you say on a message board. You are not at the practices. You don't know who the best players are. Most of you have no clue what an athlete even looks like especially if you think we have them. Let me ask you a couple of questions. How tall is our tallest wide receiver? How fast is our fastest player? What is the vertical jump of our best athlete? What is the combined squat, bench, and power clean weight of our stongest player? I don't know the answers to all these questions, but I know a few. Tallest wideout is 5'9 and that is stretching it. The fastest guy on the team may run a 4.8 40, and that too is stretching it a bit. The highest vertical on the team might be 25 inches. Combine that with the fact that our best lineman and running back can't even drive yet. These are not eye popping stats athletically for a 6A school or any school for that matter. I can guarantee that these coaches are doing the best job they can with what they have. They take average athletes and compete and win against every other team with the same level talent. Should we have beaten the number 1 and the number 4 ranked teams in the state? Heck no. Just like Tennessee had no business beating Oregon. Did Rhea County compete against or beat the other two teams they have played? Yes. Face it people. Good coaching can only do so much. I'm not trying to put down the kids either. They are doing the best job they are capable of also. It's just a down time. That's reality.

I think it is comical how parents and former players get on here and state their opinions. It really doesn't matter what you say on a message board. You are not at the practices. You don't know who the best players are. Most of you have no clue what an athlete even looks like especially if you think we have them. Let me ask you a couple of questions. How tall is our tallest wide receiver? How fast is our fastest player? What is the vertical jump of our best athlete? What is the combined squat, bench, and power clean weight of our stongest player? I don't know the answers to all these questions, but I know a few. Tallest wideout is 5'9 and that is stretching it. The fastest guy on the team may run a 4.8 40, and that too is stretching it a bit. The highest vertical on the team might be 25 inches. Combine that with the fact that our best lineman and running back can't even drive yet. These are not eye popping stats athletically for a 6A school or any school for that matter. I can guarantee that these coaches are doing the best job they can with what they have. They take average athletes and compete and win against every other team with the same level talent. Should we have beaten the number 1 and the number 4 ranked teams in the state? Heck no. Just like Tennessee had no business beating Oregon. Did Rhea County compete against or beat the other two teams they have played? Yes. Face it people. Good coaching can only do so much. I'm not trying to put down the kids either. They are doing the best job they are capable of also. It's just a down time. That's reality.

HOW IN THE GOOD LORD'S NAME WOULD WE KNOW WHO ARE BIGGEST, FASTEST OR STRONGEST PLAYERS ARE? THE COACHES ARE TOO EMBARRASSED (or lazy) TO PUT WEIGHTLIFTING NUMBERS IN THE PROGRAM I PAID THREE DOLLARS FOR.

I promise you, in a school with 1500 kids, there are plenty of kids who can already, or have the potential to run faster than a 4.8 40. Heck, when I played, we had kids who couldn't dream of breaking 5.0 as freshman running in the mid 4's by the end of their junior years. Reality is that no kids at the school want to play for the coaches because they know they are idiots, and the players who do come out are not developed in the off-season.

Putting X's and O's aside, Rhea County football will never be what it once was until we learn to develop our talent.

Unsilentmajority, I don't know that it has anything to do with the booster club, but I do think the staff plays favorites. Off the top of my head I can remember Moffet never getting any touches his junior year at RB. When he finally did he took it to the house.

Edited by EaglePride1

This post is so ridiculous I'm going to comment again.

Average athletes? Really? I believe the past two seasons are the first years that we've truly had average athletes. Statistically speaking, if you have average athletes, you should win around 50% of your games. At the moment, it looks like we could very well go 3-20 over a 2 year span. We take above average athletes and produce ~500 records. We take average athletes, and go 2-13.

I don't just get on here and post senseless comments that have no backing...I gave you some concrete stats. These guys are developing players. I know in particular that one of the starting wideouts has dropped his 40 time 3 tenths since this time last year, so don't tell me they are not getting developed. They are just really slow to start with. Also I did a little research, rather than just spout off nonsensical comments based strictly on emotion and your dislike for the coaching staff. In 2007, an average year by your standards, did you know that the Eagles were 5-1 against sub .500 teams. Sounds like they were beating who they were supposed to beat. In 2009 - the worst year in forever, they were 2-2 against sub .500 teams. So in those two years of down time Jason Fitzgerald and his staff are 7-3 against the teams you call bad. The year that we had talent and went to the quarterfinals 8/13 teams on the schedule had .500 or better records.

Just analyze last years schedule. 6 teams had a .500 record or better. We went .500 against the other 4. We are competing with or beating the teams that have the same athletes as us. PERIOD....These are facts not emotions. Get over it...These coaches can teach football...That's all you need to know...

Unsilentmajority, I don't know that it has anything to do with the booster club, but I do think the staff plays favorites. Off the top of my head I can remember Moffet never getting any touches his junior year at RB. When he finally did he took it to the house.

I'm glad somebody actually somewhat agrees with me and I'm not the only one thinking this way. To the one who spoke about the current booster club and asked me to open my checkbook, I don't keep up with the CURRENT booster club, but I have in the past. I can lay out examples of whose parents did what and who got to play. Yes, some deserved to play because they were good enough, yet some were definitely not.

Ok, Rchs has good athletes. Revis, Desmond, TD, Johnson, Roddy, Everett, etc. we have more then "just average" athletes. But when your strongest kid on the team is a 190 pound (if that)junior D-end, then there is something wrong. Our line is one of the smallest in the state. the tallest lineman is what? 6'1? i know you cant control height, but the strongest lineman is like someone referred to earlier, a sophomore that cannot even drive yet. He may be the only lineman on the team that benches over or at 250. Where there are lineman at other schools that dont even see the field that all bench 300+. our weightlifting and conditioning program just isn't the same. think about back in the day when Patrick Everett played, and Roy Guthrie. you can't just tell me kids today are naturally weaker. our program in the weight room is weak. As far as favoritism goes, i do believe since this coaching staff took over in the late 90's early 00's that there has been favoritism, and there is politics. hard to deny that. But case in point threw-out the years, the "best athletes" and players are usually on the field, most of the time atleast. i doubt a coach, any coach, would not play the best just for personal reasons. Our line has sent 3 D-1 in the past 3-4 years mostly because of a great line coach, and great athletes have come threw. hilliard, wilson, roberts, sharp, mcleroy, ray, etc. yes, the coaches can be quite questionable at times, but they do make good decisions too. I support the program, maybe not the coaches always, but this program has one of the best fan bases in the state, and one that i am proud to be part of in the past, present, and God willing the future.

I don't just get on here and post senseless comments that have no backing...I gave you some concrete stats. These guys are developing players. I know in particular that one of the starting wideouts has dropped his 40 time 3 tenths since this time last year, so don't tell me they are not getting developed. They are just really slow to start with. Also I did a little research, rather than just spout off nonsensical comments based strictly on emotion and your dislike for the coaching staff. In 2007, an average year by your standards, did you know that the Eagles were 5-1 against sub .500 teams. Sounds like they were beating who they were supposed to beat. In 2009 - the worst year in forever, they were 2-2 against sub .500 teams. So in those two years of down time Jason Fitzgerald and his staff are 7-3 against the teams you call bad. The year that we had talent and went to the quarterfinals 8/13 teams on the schedule had .500 or better records.

Just analyze last years schedule. 6 teams had a .500 record or better. We went .500 against the other 4. We are competing with or beating the teams that have the same athletes as us. PERIOD....These are facts not emotions. Get over it...These coaches can teach football...That's all you need to know...

Reading comprehension, friend. I said that we had AVERAGE athletes. What you said is we beat half of the below average teams. and were 0-6 against the average or better. Also, record is not the best indicator or level of athletic ability. Look at Maryville. Over the past 5 years, look at the number of D1 players they've produced compared to what we have.

For the record, the players in 2007 had spent 4 years in the same system Coach Hammontree implemented in 2004. The current coaches no longer use that system as far as I know.