OCCHS Rebels (1-2) @ Cape Central Tigers (2-0)

You guys need to open your eyes. OC dominated Crockett and lost the game in the end and that one hurt. Played well against a team in which they were severally out manned and made it close against Sikeston. Then played poorly against a team that they were out manned against in Cape Central the results show what happens. OC's three losses are to opponents that have a combined record of 9-0. Crockett is about the best in this area and those two Missouri would mop up nearly any team in this area. Get down if you choose but OC can very possibly still run the table.

You are partially right about that but you HAVE to say that don't you ??..I mean stay upbeat..Right ??

Like I said in an earlier post, the Rebels have the potential to be 8-2 (now 7-3) or 1-9..It's up to them...Time for everyone within the program to step up..I'm talking from the ball boys on up to the top....I'm not giving up on the team..They have good players..They have to stop beating themselves...

I have a bit of a problem with this dominating teams attitude though...The Rebels didn't dominate Crockett County....Not in the stats, not in the time of possession...The only thing they won was the turnover battle...OC did have a TD called back but CC lost a fumble on the Rebel 1 yard line...The Rebs beat themselves in the CC game but it wasn't a dominating performance in any shape, form or fashion....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree with you on something UCGRAD. Anytime you get a win over a rival, especially one that has had your number like Union City has had over Obion Central,then it is a big deal. I do agree that a loss here would set the Rebels back farther especially with the bye week coming up. I would much rather go in with a win even if it's not agaisnt one of the "big boys". You asked if Obion Central could stop Union City's run. With what they've showed so far I'm gonna say probably not. But Union City hasn't exactly been world beaters on defense either. The Rebels can score and score quickly and put up alot of points if they're not killing thereselves with the penalties you talked about. I agree 100% with you on the penalties. I don't understand it either. This has been going on for three years now. Why they can't correct this is beyond me. Without half of those penalties they are at worst 2-2 right now. Lots of questions-for both sides- going into this week. We'll get the answers in about five days.

I just would like to see the Rebels walk onto the field and get these wins against their region. You are correct and I know many more are simply feeling the same way. These kids needs to win a game or two agaisnt the upper teams in the region or out of state that would give the confidence they need. The energy is there...some of the penalties show that.

If you are not helping yourself...no other team is going to and take advantage of every door the Rebels open for the other team.

The Union City game will be good. Union City has also been shooting themselves in the foot...could be 3 and 0 easily right now. All against schools and teams much larger than them. Each of which dressed over 55 players hwere Union City dresses 24.

I just would like to see the Rebels walk onto the field and get these wins against their region. You are correct and I know many more are simply feeling the same way. These kids needs to win a game or two agaisnt the upper teams in the region or out of state that would give the confidence they need. The energy is there...some of the penalties show that.

If you are not helping yourself...no other team is going to and take advantage of every door the Rebels open for the other team.

The Union City game will be good. Union City has also been shooting themselves in the foot...could be 3 and 0 easily right now. All against schools and teams much larger than them. Each of which dressed over 55 players hwere Union City dresses 24.

Me too! :thumb:

The Rebels were flat Saturday. I don't know the reason but from the time they walked, and i emphasize WALKED out of the locker room, there was no intensity, no emotion, no fire. The offense looked as though cobwebs should be hanging off them. When they played at home, they came out fired up and ready to play. I did not see anything like that Saturday. Cape Central was big, bigger than Sikeston, but the Rebels were never in the game. The remainder of my post is what I'm observing and my opinion. No knocks on kids whatsoever.

The offense was terrible Saturday. From my viewpoint, they were so predictable they never had a chance. It seemed most every pass was a simple 5-7 yard route. Even a poor secondary can cover 7 yards. Fair put out some effort, and what yards he got were hard earned. But he had no hands on the passes. Phipps was again out of synch. Now that may have been his fault as he didn't appear to be stepping into his throws, but I think part of it may have been that the receivers routes were not crisp. You know, if a QB throws the 7 yard out pattern, but the receiver rounds it to a banana route, the connection is off. I just didn't see any chemistry whatsoever from the offense.

The defense made some good plays. They fought hard but wore down. Myself, I didn't like the defensive alignment. Corners were 10 yards off the line of scrimmage and still taking drop steps. The flats were open all day for easy passes. The linebackers were so caught up in the run, they weren't picking up anyone out of the backfield. When the QB would roll out of the pocket, there was 20 yards between him and the first defender. Could have been busted coverage, but it happened regularly so I lean more towards alignment. I love seeing the large numbers of kids dressed for the Rebels, but I think you gotta put your best on the field and leave them there.

OC is in my opinion a really good team. I agree wholeheartedly they are lacking field leadership. Someone has to step up and be the man on both sides of the ball.The Rebels have a great product to put on the field every game, but something has to pull them together to get them to their potential. For the last 10 years, I have seen every Rebel football game with the exception of a 1 year military stint, and this is one of the best teams I have seen for the Rebels. I sat through the 2 winless years, and I sat through the Coach Hill excitement years. This team has more untapped potential than most. For some reason, they lack confidence and continuity in their play. Find yourselves, and bring your best every play. It's there, show it. Now is when you have to decide whether you're going to be 7-3 or 1-9. My bet is always on the Rebels!! GO OC!

The Rebels were flat Saturday. I don't know the reason but from the time they walked, and i emphasize WALKED out of the locker room, there was no intensity, no emotion, no fire. The offense looked as though cobwebs should be hanging off them. When they played at home, they came out fired up and ready to play. I did not see anything like that Saturday. Cape Central was big, bigger than Sikeston, but the Rebels were never in the game. The remainder of my post is what I'm observing and my opinion. No knocks on kids whatsoever.

The offense was terrible Saturday. From my viewpoint, they were so predictable they never had a chance. It seemed most every pass was a simple 5-7 yard route. Even a poor secondary can cover 7 yards. Fair put out some effort, and what yards he got were hard earned. But he had no hands on the passes. Phipps was again out of synch. Now that may have been his fault as he didn't appear to be stepping into his throws, but I think part of it may have been that the receivers routes were not crisp. You know, if a QB throws the 7 yard out pattern, but the receiver rounds it to a banana route, the connection is off. I just didn't see any chemistry whatsoever from the offense.

The defense made some good plays. They fought hard but wore down. Myself, I didn't like the defensive alignment. Corners were 10 yards off the line of scrimmage and still taking drop steps. The flats were open all day for easy passes. The linebackers were so caught up in the run, they weren't picking up anyone out of the backfield. When the QB would roll out of the pocket, there was 20 yards between him and the first defender. Could have been busted coverage, but it happened regularly so I lean more towards alignment. I love seeing the large numbers of kids dressed for the Rebels, but I think you gotta put your best on the field and leave them there.

OC is in my opinion a really good team. I agree wholeheartedly they are lacking field leadership. Someone has to step up and be the man on both sides of the ball.The Rebels have a great product to put on the field every game, but something has to pull them together to get them to their potential. For the last 10 years, I have seen every Rebel football game with the exception of a 1 year military stint, and this is one of the best teams I have seen for the Rebels. I sat through the 2 winless years, and I sat through the Coach Hill excitement years. This team has more untapped potential than most. For some reason, they lack confidence and continuity in their play. Find yourselves, and bring your best every play. It's there, show it. Now is when you have to decide whether you're going to be 7-3 or 1-9. My bet is always on the Rebels!! GO OC!

Great post Occhs, no one could have summed it up any better, and right on target with it ALL!!!! Come on REBELS, let's ROCK & ROLL AND START PUTTING SOME W IN THIS PROGRAM, Friday would be a good time to start the dance.

I think a win in the UC game would be big for their confidence....It will be much more enjoyable to go into the bye week with a win and 2-3 than a loss and 1-4...

The Rebels won't play anyone better than CC, Sikeston and Cape the rest of the way out...Westview may be the best team remaining on the schedule although Ripley is doing well...The Rebs have two very winnable district games coming out of the bye week (Covington and Dyersburg)..A win in those two games and a win over UC would make them 4-3 and 2-1 in the district...They would have all kinds of confidence heading into the home game with Westview...The UC game is a must win game...

I think a win in the UC game would be big for their confidence....It will be much more enjoyable to go into the bye week with a win and 2-3 than a loss and 1-4...

The Rebels won't play anyone better than CC, Sikeston and Cape the rest of the way out...Westview may be the best team remaining on the schedule although Ripley is doing well...The Rebs have two very winnable district games coming out of the bye week (Covington and Dyersburg)..A win in those two games and a win over UC would make them 4-3 and 2-1 in the district...They would have all kinds of confidence heading into the home game with Westview...The UC game is a must win game...

Let's wrap this up in a neat package. The Rebels are not going to be successful as long as they continue to not do or do the following:

A. Get their best players on the field on BOTH sides of the football... they really need to start playing some of their better players both ways.

B. Improve the special teams play. Stop kicking off to the 35 and giving up field position on kickoffs. I know someone on the team can help in this matter I've seen them do it. Also, please block someone, or at least try on returns.

C. The defense has got to tackle someone and at least try and cover the pass when opponents do get in a bind, which isn't often. Again I believe that can be fixed by adding some speed on that side of the ball. Also, cut out all the stupid late hits, etc.

D. The offense needs some changes made, especially on the line. Too many guys can pass block only and the holding penalties are just out of hand. Phipps has looked rattled the last two games releasing the ball either too late or off target.

E. The players looked absolutely miserable and uninspired their last game. They need to loosen up and have some fun. I think the talent is there, but something is missing and that's a genuine enthusiasm for the game or so it appears.

In conclusion, it's not too late to turn things around and be successful but it's getting close. The schedule does ease up but IMO, it seems like some are falling back on the old excuse about how great the opponents have been. I know, 9-0 is good, but in all reality the Rebels should be 3-1 at best, 2-2 at worst. Kids are resilient and a win over UC would do a lot towards building some momentum and getting back to the playoffs.