OCCHS Rebels (1-2) @ Cape Central Tigers (2-0)

Yes..."rebelious"....you are so right. The Rebels aren't the type team and good enough to only play guys one way. There are tons of teams....Union City for one that has proven all the way to the state...you can do so with most of your player playing boths ways. They have the GOLD Ball to prove that can and could be done.

I TOTALLY agree. You have to play your best eleven..not you best 22...if you know what I mean. This is not the NFL or college. I think that is where Coach Jackson has to understand and he may not. Remember, he came from a college and he is trying to do things like a college game.

For those of you who have been to every game ( and i have not ) , how many teams played guys both ways and beat the rebels....all of them!

I really think you have hit the nail on the head straight on. Play your best players and best talent. If they are not seniors..so what, not juniors, so what.

To build a program, you have to do this.

Just for example..using Union City, the Rebels will play more guys this Friday night than Union City has dressed out counting the managers.

You know what, Union City may get beat and may not but the players can go both ways..they have to. The Rebel coaches have to do a better job of getting toughness out of the players which one is...'look kid, I need you to play both ways so suck it up"

This is no kids fault....it is all coaching. He's good, but not that good or he would figure this out. He is in his 3rd year.

End....for me.

Edited by UCGRAD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes..."rebelious"....you are so right. The Rebels aren't the type team and good enough to only play guys one way. There are tons of teams....Union City for one that has proven all the way to the state...you can do so with most of your player playing boths ways. They have the GOLD Ball to prove that can and could be done.

I TOTALLY agree. You have to play your best eleven..not you best 22...if you know what I mean. This is not the NFL or college. I think that is where Coach Jackson has to understand and he may not. Remember, he came from a college and he is trying to do things like a college game.

For those of you who have been to every game ( and i have not ) , how many teams played guys both ways and beat the rebels....all of them!

I really think you have hit the nail on the head straight on. Play your best players and best talent. If they are not seniors..so what, not juniors, so what.

To build a program, you have to do this.

Just for example..using Union City, the Rebels will play more guys this Friday night than Union City has dressed out counting the managers.

You know what, Union City may get beat and may not but the players can go both ways..they have to. The Rebel coaches have to do a better job of getting toughness out of the players which one is...'look kid, I need you to play both ways so suck it up"

This is no kids fault....it is all coaching. He's good, but not that good or he would figure this out. He is in his 3rd year.

End....for me.

New to this, so pardon the double post. Not meaning my post as a criticism of the coaches or players, cuz I'm a big fan. Just really curious as to why the coach is being so hardheaded about not playing his better players both ways. I love the offense and it is exciting to watch, but sometimes coaches can't see the forest for the trees... and that is just playing the right players and using the talent you have to its fullest and you don't do that if they aren't ever on the field. The defense could use an infusion of players like McGrew and Fair and it wouldn't hurt the offense to use Patterson and the big kid at receiver, they have shown what they can do when given the chance.

You nailed it right on the head rebelious. Great post! I can see not playing your quarterback both ways because of the offense you run. But everybody else is fair game. I know exactly who you're talking about on the kickoffs as I've seen him do it too. Teams are having an easy enough time moving the ball without giving them 20-30 yards of field position. The penalties are absolutely ridiculous. I said in an earlier post I don't know why after three years we're having the same problems but we are. These need to be addressed and apparently they are not. Nobody will ever take this program seriously until they start winning on a consistent basis.

Let's wrap this up in a neat package. The Rebels are not going to be successful as long as they continue to not do or do the following:

A. Get their best players on the field on BOTH sides of the football... they really need to start playing some of their better players both ways.

B. Improve the special teams play. Stop kicking off to the 35 and giving up field position on kickoffs. I know someone on the team can help in this matter I've seen them do it. Also, please block someone, or at least try on returns.

C. The defense has got to tackle someone and at least try and cover the pass when opponents do get in a bind, which isn't often. Again I believe that can be fixed by adding some speed on that side of the ball. Also, cut out all the stupid late hits, etc.

D. The offense needs some changes made, especially on the line. Too many guys can pass block only and the holding penalties are just out of hand. Phipps has looked rattled the last two games releasing the ball either too late or off target.

E. The players looked absolutely miserable and uninspired their last game. They need to loosen up and have some fun. I think the talent is there, but something is missing and that's a genuine enthusiasm for the game or so it appears.

In conclusion, it's not too late to turn things around and be successful but it's getting close. The schedule does ease up but IMO, it seems like some are falling back on the old excuse about how great the opponents have been. I know, 9-0 is good, but in all reality the Rebels should be 3-1 at best, 2-2 at worst. Kids are resilient and a win over UC would do a lot towards building some momentum and getting back to the playoffs.

A. I agree with this...Why you would not have your best athletes on the field is beyond me...Problem is, I don't attend practice and I don't see what goes on..The coaches do and it's their job to place their best 11 at any given time on the field...I find it hard to believe they would go into a gun fight with plastic forks..

B. I agree with this as well...You place an already maligned defense in that much more of a hole when you give the opposition possession of the ball close to midfield..I wonder who this other kicker is though..If it is Williams, and I have wondered why he isn't handling the kick-offs, it might be that now he can't kick because it was reported in the paper he has a torn MCL...Is there another guy on the team that can kick-off??..Can Trout??..He has proven to be a good punter??

C. The reason for this is because they don't dress in full pads...Have they done tackle drills, eye openers or one-on-ones with full pads yet this year??...Someone that has been to practice can answer that...It would have to have been in the summer because they don't do it now....JustaOCfan hit the nail on the head about defending the pass...BTW, I have never seen a high school, college or pro game played in shorts...A passing team should be able to defend the pass and have trouble defending the run...OC has had problems with both...I will say this for the D...They have gotten better, much better, on 1st and 2nd down...Penalties ??...No discipline...Not taking care of the little things..Plain and simple...

D. Maybe Roberson and Hopkins could help out there...Trey got pressured much more in the Cape game than in any of the other three games...You better bet UC will pressure the QB Friday night because they can't defend the pass...That strategy is their pass defense...

E. These quotes from the paper may have had something to do with the team's attitude....

“We were overmatched coming in and we all knew it,†Jackson claimed after the program’s largest margin of defeat since Oct. 24, 2008 (47-0 vs. Haywood). “I knew we wouldn’t be able to run the ball because they’re bigger and stronger on the line than we are. Plus, we’re pretty banged up and we had to shuffle a lot of our personnel around after Shawn Weaks got injured in practice on Wednesday.

“Cape is a very impressive football team with a lot of Division I athletes and I’d be shocked if they lose to anyone.â€

AND

“There were a bunch of bad calls, but it wouldn’t have really mattered in the final score,†Jackson said. “I think if we played them 10 times, we wouldn’t beat them once.â€

I personally think OC could have and maybe should have beaten Cape...This team was 0-13 coming into this year...Now they are 3-13...OC beat them 43-25 last season...OC made it real easy on them in my opinion...

A. I agree with this...Why you would not have your best athletes on the field is beyond me...Problem is, I don't attend practice and I don't see what goes on..The coaches do and it's their job to place their best 11 at any given time on the field...I find it hard to believe they would go into a gun fight with plastic forks..

B. I agree with this as well...You place an already maligned defense in that much more of a hole when you give the opposition possession of the ball close to midfield..I wonder who this other kicker is though..If it is Williams, and I have wondered why he isn't handling the kick-offs, it might be that now he can't kick because it was reported in the paper he has a torn MCL...Is there another guy on the team that can kick-off??..Can Trout??..He has proven to be a good punter??

C. The reason for this is because they don't dress in full pads...Have they done tackle drills, eye openers or one-on-ones with full pads yet this year??...Someone that has been to practice can answer that...It would have to have been in the summer because they don't do it now....JustaOCfan hit the nail on the head about defending the pass...BTW, I have never seen a high school, college or pro game played in shorts...A passing team should be able to defend the pass and have trouble defending the run...OC has had problems with both...I will say this for the D...They have gotten better, much better, on 1st and 2nd down...Penalties ??...No discipline...Not taking care of the little things..Plain and simple...

D. Maybe Roberson and Hopkins could help out there...Trey got pressured much more in the Cape game than in any of the other three games...You better bet UC will pressure the QB Friday night because they can't defend the pass...That strategy is their pass defense...

E. These quotes from the paper may have had something to do with the team's attitude....

“We were overmatched coming in and we all knew it,†Jackson claimed after the program’s largest margin of defeat since Oct. 24, 2008 (47-0 vs. Haywood). “I knew we wouldn’t be able to run the ball because they’re bigger and stronger on the line than we are. Plus, we’re pretty banged up and we had to shuffle a lot of our personnel around after Shawn Weaks got injured in practice on Wednesday.

“Cape is a very impressive football team with a lot of Division I athletes and I’d be shocked if they lose to anyone.â€

AND

“There were a bunch of bad calls, but it wouldn’t have really mattered in the final score,†Jackson said. “I think if we played them 10 times, we wouldn’t beat them once.â€

I personally think OC could have and maybe should have beaten Cape...This team was 0-13 coming into this year...Now they are 3-13...OC beat them 43-25 last season...OC made it real easy on them in my opinion...

P&G you nailed right on the head about what Coach Jackson said in the paper. As soon as I read it the first words out of my mouth were "Now I see why they played the way they did". If the coach doesn't believe you can win, then the players sure won't. That kind of stuff trickles down. You're also on the money about the defense. The first two downs they look pretty good. When it comes to third and fourth down it's like they can't remember what they did before and have a total breakdown. Maybe it's the change in defensive coordinators but I doubt it. But if they're not practicing in full pads that could be a major contributing factor.

I also picked up on Coach Jackson's comments. That really sounds like some trash talkers that are on Coach T. Something that would be said by someone who has no knowledge.

What do you think would happen to a college or pro coach if they made comments after a loss like coach Jackson made.

One other thing.....you do NOT win games by being all flashy prior to the home homes with teams running out of a helment ...new uniforms each year, etc. It's fine if you Alcoa or Maryville, but not around here or a program that hasn't proven itself to be on the winning side.

That kind of stuff doesn't win games...just sets off the other team.

I still say coach Jackson is trying to implement a college type style into a high school program that has to first have winning season and win playoff games making it far into the playoff rounds.

Keep in mind also, even though coach Jackson is now in his third year, you still have NO coaching chemistry built with new assist coaches coming in and out of the program. Not my problem to worry about but I still hate the kids suffer.

One other thing....Union City may not have the best pass defense but they have a new passing game and tons of speed and with the Rebels defense...could be a high scoring game with the team making the fewest mistakes winning. I predict Union City defense will slow the Rebels offense down more than the Rebels slow the Tornadoes offense. We will see.

I just wonder if coach Bowling tells his 22 players that we are out manned, they are bigger than we are, they have twice as many coaches....etc before the game. NOT.... Coach Jackson better have his Rebels ready to play. All 22 Union City kids will be ready and the 15 that go both ways will out condition any of the Rebels on the field.

Good luck to both teams and hope to see a clean, fun and injury free game enjoyed by all.

Union City 45

Rebels 32

Edited by UCGRAD

Coach Jackson never told his players they were outmanned or would lose! Those Were all comments made after the game. I was told that by players , and they Were still being motivated in the locker room at halftime! Those kids will tell you he is a very positive coach!

It doesn't matter...he made those comments and what do you think the kids are going to think when they go up against Westview or a team in the playoffs they have never played.

Comments like those made before, during or after a high school sports function is not the best. These kids and their parents read newspapers just like you and I.

Like I said....true or not, those type comments should NOT be made to a man asking questions with a note pad and tape recorder because it will be made as public knowledge. Especially when your trying to build the program.

I also bet, when it was just him and his coaches, I would be willing to say he made comments to them he wouldn't share with his team.

Either way..this is all cheese and done with. Lets move on to the Union City / Obion Co. game and after.

my final thoughts on this post.

Edited by UCGRAD

UCGRAD posted...

"One other thing....Union City may not have the best pass defense but they have a new passing game and tons of speed and with the Rebels defense...could be a high scoring game with the team making the fewest mistakes winning. I predict Union City defense will slow the Rebels offense down more than the Rebels slow the Tornadoes offense. We will see."

UC doesn't have a new passing offense...Coach Bowling has been using those same routes since his days at OC...I've seen them..I saw almost every game he coached in his four years at OC and alot of the scrimmages...He has to throw some to unclog the line of scrimmage...He isn't blessed with big senior linemen this year so he has to take some pressure off his run game...UC has reminded me somewhat of his (Bowling's) Rebel teams and that is their turnovers..They have been committing turnovers at real bad times this year...

I also picked up on Coach Jackson's comments. That really sounds like some trash talkers that are on Coach T. Something that would be said by someone who has no knowledge.

What do you think would happen to a college or pro coach if they made comments after a loss like coach Jackson made.

One other thing.....you do NOT win games by being all flashy prior to the home homes with teams running out of a helment ...new uniforms each year, etc. It's fine if you Alcoa or Maryville, but not around here or a program that hasn't proven itself to be on the winning side.

That kind of stuff doesn't win games...just sets off the other team.

I still say coach Jackson is trying to implement a college type style into a high school program that has to first have winning season and win playoff games making it far into the playoff rounds.

Keep in mind also, even though coach Jackson is now in his third year, you still have NO coaching chemistry built with new assist coaches coming in and out of the program. Not my problem to worry about but I still hate the kids suffer.

One other thing....Union City may not have the best pass defense but they have a new passing game and tons of speed and with the Rebels defense...could be a high scoring game with the team making the fewest mistakes winning. I predict Union City defense will slow the Rebels offense down more than the Rebels slow the Tornadoes offense. We will see.

I just wonder if coach Bowling tells his 22 players that we are out manned, they are bigger than we are, they have twice as many coaches....etc before the game. NOT.... Coach Jackson better have his Rebels ready to play. All 22 Union City kids will be ready and the 15 that go both ways will out condition any of the Rebels on the field.

Good luck to both teams and hope to see a clean, fun and injury free game enjoyed by all.

Union City 45

Rebels 32

Wow! Someone is on a rant.Now I do not agree with Coach's comments, but I'm sure he has his reasons be it to ease the pain of the loss or whatever reason he might have. I took his comments to mean he and his coaches thought that, not his players. Either way, I believe he may be the only coach in this county to know how it is to be a college football coach. His methods are just that, his.

As far as the inflatable helmet, dude, you've got to be kidding. I'd have my team run out of an inflatable chicken's butt if that helped to motivate them. As a coach I would do whatever it takes. I don't recall this kind of negativity when Coach Bowling changed uniforms at OC or at UC. If they get new unifirms at mid-season it's no one's business outside that program. But, just to clarify this years new gear, OC is now a NIKE team. That means all NIKE uniforms for the team at a nice discount. Myself, I was unaware that you had to be a consistent state champ to get new uniforms. Thank goodness you didn't know about the new weights or new lockers the team got. But, of course I was also unaware that you had to make it deep in the playoffs to make program changes. New coaches, implementing college style football, and generally setting off visiting teams. Is there no end to his audacity!! Alright, enough sarcasm from me. The fact is the man is trying to make a change at OC and improve the program there. I don't hate it for any of the kids. I salute the effort whether I agree with his methods or not aand trust me, I don't agree with all of it. Then again, I don't agree with many people period.

I applaud constructive criticism, but not mocking or down talking the methods used.

As always, GO REBELS!

(By the way, running out of that helmet is a conditioning drill!)