OCCHS Rebels (1-2) @ Cape Central Tigers (2-0)

The Obion Central Rebels are going to head into the Show Me State coming off two heartbreaking losses against state ranked teams...The Cape Central Tigers will enter the contest on a high...This program broke an 18 game road losing streak this past Friday when they traveled to Festus and won 28-16...That streak-breaker came on the heels of a win in Week 1 that snapped a 13 game overall losing streak...

This game will have a little bit of a college feel as they will not only play at Southeast Missouri State's football stadium but will play at 1pm on a Saturday afternoon...

The Tigers are a senior heavy team...They have 25 of them on their roster...They are a run heavy team,609 yards rushing after two games, but they also have shown the threat of the pass..QB Christian Caveness has 143 yards passing so far...The rushing game has shown two threats so far...Keilon Moore had 143 yards on 12 rushes vs Festus and James Poindexter had 151 yards rushing on only 6 carries in the win over New Madrid County Central...The O-line is anchored by big Christopher Bird who is 6'3" 310lbs..They also have a big TE in Zach Boerboom 6'4" 245lbs....

The Tiger defense has allowed 22 points this season...They have allowed 178 ypg rushing and 24 ypg passing against two running teams...

The big motivation key this week at Cape Central will probably be the way the game between these two ended last year...OC had the game in hand and was punting...Patrick Haskins took off on a 70 yard TD run that pushed the final score to 43-25...Don't think that tape won't be showed over and over again this week...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a post from a SE Missouri fan site concerning the OC-Cape Central game on Sat. afternoon...

"Then Cape versus Obion Co Tenn may be interesting.....Obion throws alot....I mean alot...

had one decent back, but , if quick running backs is what Cape has , ( and it sure sounds like it does) then Cape will counter and respond , each and every drive. Obion Co cannot stop the run."

Another one...

"I went to the Obion v Sikeston game. Obion has a very potent, pass-happy offense. Very good QB and several good receivers. Their defense is about as inept as their offense is proficient. They cannot stop the run. They aren't very physical and they don't tackle well. Cape will not be able to stop Obion's passing game. Obion won't stop Cape's run. This game will come down to who shoots themselves in the foot with penalties or turnovers. I wouldn't count on more than two punts all night long. It's possible nobody ever punts and the game is decided by extra points. I picture a 55-49 type game."

-- Posted by football monkey on Tue, Sep 7, 2010, at 5:14 PM

Another....

"You mentioned who's defense is better. Cape or Sikeston's ?? Good question. Cape has not really allowed anyone to hurt them, I know, only 2 games in, and since Poplar Bluff also put a "Mule skinnin" on NMCC, hard to say how tuff Capes D really is. Bluff scored 34 points on NMCC, Cape scored 41. ( And Bluff alowed 50 + versus Vashon...at HOME ??) Now, someone is gonna tell me Cape could have scored 70, had they let the Tigers loose for 4 full qtrs....and maybe so, but, all I have to go on is what I read.

Cape is bigger than Sikeston on D. Sikeston does not tackle as well as they did last season, and they just are not as aggressive, ( mean) , but Sikestons defense got better and better as the year went along. I am sure as Cape's team grows and builds confidence, they too will get better, as will Sikestons D.

Obion passed the ball well against Sikeston, Thy didn;t run alot, but had some yardage. Sikestons big play offense ran pretty wild against OC. Sikeston coaches tell me there were 4 or 5 dropped int's versus Obion, Get 1/2 of those, and you've killed 2 drives.....LARGE in a game like that one was.

Is Cape tough versus the pass? My thoughts are, this kid from Obion, is gtting more accurate, knows hs recievers better, and can read defenses a bit better. all spell trouble for defenses. Sikeston may be happy the caught them early.

Sikeston did NOT give up the "edge" last season, inside and outside backers were sideline to sideline. Not so yet this season. Last season Sikestons 3 of 4 backers had over 100 tackles.( the 4th had 92)....this season, corners are alot more active on run support, because opponents have been getting to the edge............ HIgh school football, is traps, leads and off tackle. MIx in a QB who can play action off a predominate run offense....and throw slants and shallow posts or outs behind backers and in front of safties.....uggggggghhhhhh Long Long night..

I say Cape out muscles Obion, and speed on that turf will help them. I hear Obion Co line has not allowed very many sacks as a rule, they proteect well. As I said, I see Cape getting to them BUT there is somethng about pass rushing, when you are asked to go that hard every down, especally in a long drive..you will get winded. Someone commented that some of the big linman for Cape appeared spent.....when it is 4th qtr, and the game rides on it, the team that keeps it's composure, will lbe the one that comes off with the W.

I say 4 int's are Obions undoing, Cape will ride "Ole MO mentum "....and keep the streak going.

Cape 44

Obion 28"

Edited by Purple & Gold Standard

OC could easily make the case for being a 3-0 team right now :rolleyes: They showed they could stop the run vs. a talented Crockett team last week but 140 yards in penalties was too much to overcome. :unsure:

The Sikeston game did not affect the team as much as losing the game to the Cavs. Now keep in mind- one doesn't like losing any game- but the Rebs were for all practical purposes out of the Sikeston game and made a nice comeback to get within 8

Definately the Crockett game is one that got away- but it's in the past and there is not a thing anybody can do about it. 7 games left in the regular season and with Cape Central up next at SEMO, OC needs to take the positives of the Crockett game which was stopping the consistent run game and couple that with taking care of the football and it could get them back on the winning track heading into next week's showdown with close rival Union City :hungry:

Hit hard and contain is the name of the game on defense and execute the offense and the Rebs could bring a "W" back across the river.. 12:30 air time on 105.7 FM this week with a 1pm kickoff.. Getcha Popcorn ready :popcorneater:

Directions to Houck Stadium at SEMO travelling from Dyersburg:

Houck Stadium - (573) 651-2919

1 University Plz, Cape Girardeau, MO, 63701

Total Travel Estimate : 108.17 miles - about 1 hour 46 minute

1. Merge onto I-155 W / US-412 W toward ST LOUIS go 23.5 mi

2. Merge onto I-55 N via EXIT 1B toward ST LOUIS. go 77.7 mi

3. Take the MO-74 E exit, EXIT 95, toward CAPE GIRARDEAU / ILLINOIS ROUTE 146.

go 0.3 mi

4. Turn RIGHT onto SHAWNEE PKWY / MO-74 E. go 2.5 mi

5. Turn LEFT onto MO-177 / S SPRIGG ST. Continue to follow S SPRIGG ST. go 1.4 mi

6. 1 UNIVERSITY PLZ. Map go 0.0 mi

Some of your post seem to lack support for a program that your son is a part of. Just seems odd.

No, what's odd is that I'm a realist and don't vomit puppy dogs, sunshine and rainbows and put out unrealistic viewpoints about the program my son plays for...

Having said that, I fully support my son and his team....He knows I do and that's really all that matters...

Just wondering, if you would, copy and paste some things that you think show a lack of support and we'll see if those posts are true or not....

I'll take one off the board for you...."Dude, Central hasn't stopped the run in any game...."....They are allowing 278.6 a game (2 1/2 games) on the ground....I could have said...."They showed they could stop the run vs. a talented Crockett team last week..."...Crockett County rushed the ball 62 times for 336 yards last Friday night...I'd hardly call that stopping anybody...If you want to call that not being supportive, then that's your call...But it is the truth....

I will tell you this..My son has a good sense of when he does good and does bad...For example, I thought he had a good game vs Sikeston and told him so...He says, "yeah but I fumbled on that play right after halftime"...It didn't matter to him that on the play he almost had his collar bone broken...In the Crockett Co game he had a pass thrown to him on a 3rd and long on the Rebels' first drive..It was a little behind him and he didn't catch the ball...After the game, I told him good game and that I thought he gave good effort...He says, "I should have caught that first pass though."....