BA vs. Olive Branch

BAEagleFootball

Well, it looks like BA is the team everyone has to go through for a state championship. We (CBHS) are not looking very strong at this point, trouble with scoring, and mistakes. Our defense has played well, although our top LB, left for the clinic after the game last night, hope he is ok. Briarcrest is looking strong at this point, although they havent played strong teams. I'm sure MUS will be just fine, I just hope we can give them a game this year. I havent checked MBA, EA, and the rest of the mid/east yet today. Oh and SBA had a nice little win over Bishop Byrne last night.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that scores are more about matchups, than who beat who by how much. I was just checking to see how good Olive Branch was because i saw that they lost the week before BA. The team that beat them from Florida, beat Abilene, TX(#4 in the country) 24-21. That Cocoa team beat Olive Branch 14-7, and BA beat that same Olive Branch team 46-14. Can someone who was at the game last night please let me know if BA is really that good, or is this score deceiving? If they are that good, it seems that us and the rest of DII have our hands full. Congrats BA. Good win for TN football!!

I know that scores are more about matchups, than who beat who by how much. I was just checking to see how good Olive Branch was because i saw that they lost the week before BA. The team that beat them from Florida, beat Abilene, TX(#4 in the country) 24-21. That Cocoa team beat Olive Branch 14-7, and BA beat that same Olive Branch team 46-14. Can someone who was at the game last night please let me know if BA is really that good, or is this score deceiving? If they are that good, it seems that us and the rest of DII have our hands full. Congrats BA. Good win for TN football!!

You're right, you can't compare scores, so who knows. However, I was at the game, and BA totally dominated from the outset. Our running game shredded OB's D, and OB had no answer for a very aggressive BA defense. If BA can handle success, they will be a very good football team. Lot of ball left to play though.

MsPowerhouse,

You are 100% INCORRECT on both counts:

1) Nowhere in my comments did I ever pick East to defeat Olive Branch!!

2) I actually like Olive Branch and, for the record, have stated numerous times on the Mississippi boards that I root for Olive Branch everytime they are playing anyone... except a Tennessee team. By the way, I usually go watch OB play about 2 or 3 games per year.

For the record, here is a cut-and-paste copy of the comments that I posted (Posted: 8/13/2010 7:09 PM) on the Mississippi boards about the East-Olive Branch game:

Olive Branch will get "upset" by Mphs East.....according to some of the East fans, on the street. They are apparently expecting some big things out of their Mustangs this season.

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------

I have not seen East play during any scrimmages, yet. So, I can't vouch for the quality of their team; I just know that they will field a young, inexperienced (but, "talented," they say...) team, featuring their BLAZING fast RB -- Brian Kimbrow (consistently clocked sub 4.30 forty-yard dash times, this Spring).

Since OB is apparently a young team also (from what I've read on this board), who knows how all these "green" youngster's will perform, once the lights come on next Friday night @ Olive Branch. Given this, no outcome will surprise me.

For what it's worth, I can vouch for TraderB's support of OB...

Guys there are a whole bunch of MSPowerhouses and they did not take it well. Let me give you the Reader's Digest Version: OB played poorly, it is various coaches' and players fault and BA is not that good...

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=397&f=1298&t=6346746&p=1

The MS fans have been spewing their drivel for years, and it appears this year is no different. I remember reading posts on that site in 2003 after MBA laid sod over Southaven and South Panola did the same by a similar score (MBA won 45-13; I think SP won 47-11). All I could read was how South Panola was "light years" ahead of MBA and SP would win by 6 TDs. In general, you at times get some insight into what must be some pretty pitiful lives on that site the way they respond to losses (happens here and there on this site, too, but it appears to be an epidemic at times over there).

Part of the problem lies in the fact that, as good as MS public school football is, MS private school football is not good. Take the best private team in MS in a given year and that team is usually going to be, at best, maybe fifth or sixth in DII-AA in Tennessee. Some of the Mississippians still don't understand that it's a different level when comparing the privates from the two states.

Well done, BA. As for MSPowerhouse, well, my guess is he is checking to see if the MSOuthouse screen name is available.

Guys there are a whole bunch of MSPowerhouses and they did not take it well. Let me give you the Reader's Digest Version: OB played poorly, it is various coaches' and players fault and BA is not that good...

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=397&f=1298&t=6346746&p=1

I really didn't perceive it that way. MSPowerhouse just came here mouthing and deserves some grief. I'm betting you it was probably a student who probably hasn't given this board another thought since then...such is the circumstance of message board posting. Some sour grapes, there, to be sure. ...but I read a LOT more ticked off posts only about their team more than stuff denigrating Brentwood Academy. If you're expecting every partisan fan post to do nothing but praise the opponent, it's not happening...here, there, or anywhere. If it makes you feel better, all the OB folks I've talked to were thoroughly impressed with BA and think they're awesome. I predicted OB to be down this year (for them) a while back in another thread. It wasn't a hard call to make, frankly. They lost some good players...a good many. I still think they make the playoffs but SP, Starkville, and Southaven are going to be problematic for them. I think that realization is probably starting to sink in. Be fair, too, and realize the volume of posting on that board dwarfs this particular forum. You're going to have people coming out of the woodwork being idiots. Most of the OB posters over there are really pretty respectful. I root for OB anytime they aren't playing South Panola and just hope for good health when they place DeSoto Central and Southaven b/c I know kids and teachers, etc. at all 3. Try not to let your opinion of all of them be tainted by a few punkish-acting folks.

One comment particularly rang true to me and that's that Mississippi folks don't really know TN private school ball. Jackson Prep is the only school in Mississippi, I believe, that would even be in DII-AA in TN. Somebody can correct me on that. SBEC, when in the MPSA (now MAIS) was in the highest classification of private schools and probably even now is one of the top 5 private (not including parochial) schools in the state in enrollment and yet only plays DII-A in Tennessee. There's a real disconnect among most MS folks about TN privates. They simply don't realize the school size of the bigger DII schools in TN nor are there the same size metro areas in MS that can give you the population to pull from to populate a DII athletic program the way you see in Memphis or Nashville. They just haven't seen that before. I didn't realize until I got to college and lived in the metro Memphis area. I don't mean make excuses but most folks I know, once educated (and MUS did some awesome educating last year and BA just did some, too) come to realize how it works and that TN doesn't just have small town academies like most of the MS privates are.

Edited by Trojan Fan

The MS fans have been spewing their drivel for years, and it appears this year is no different. I remember reading posts on that site in 2003 after MBA laid sod over Southaven and South Panola did the same by a similar score (MBA won 45-13; I think SP won 47-11). All I could read was how South Panola was "light years" ahead of MBA and SP would win by 6 TDs. In general, you at times get some insight into what must be some pretty pitiful lives on that site the way they respond to losses (happens here and there on this site, too, but it appears to be an epidemic at times over there).

Part of the problem lies in the fact that, as good as MS public school football is, MS private school football is not good. Take the best private team in MS in a given year and that team is usually going to be, at best, maybe fifth or sixth in DII-AA in Tennessee. Some of the Mississippians still don't understand that it's a different level when comparing the privates from the two states.

Well done, BA. As for MSPowerhouse, well, my guess is he is checking to see if the MSOuthouse screen name is available.

You are quite right. During the halftime of the MUS-South Panola internet broadcast, one of the MUS coaches who grew up in Batesville MS and played for S Panola was interviewed. He remarked how shocked and dismayed he was last year at the level of disrespect shown by his MS friends for MUS and TN football, how they came up to him after the game NOT to congratulate him but to tell him how lucky MUS was to beat them etc. Of course, predictably, many have pointed to the shellacking of MUS this year as proof of their contention, despite the fact that it's a new season and a VERY different matchup. SP is much better with almost all starters returning and MUS is very down with almost all its 2009 starters AND over 30 seniors having graduated.

I really didn't perceive it that way. MSPowerhouse just came here mouthing and deserves some grief. I'm betting you it was probably a student who probably hasn't given this board another thought since then...such is the circumstance of message board posting. Some sour grapes, there, to be sure. ...but I read a LOT more ticked off posts only about their team more than stuff denigrating Brentwood Academy. If you're expecting every partisan fan post to do nothing but praise the opponent, it's not happening...here, there, or anywhere. If it makes you feel better, all the OB folks I've talked to were thoroughly impressed with BA and think they're awesome. I predicted OB to be down this year (for them) a while back in another thread. It wasn't a hard call to make, frankly. They lost some good players...a good many. I still think they make the playoffs but SP, Starkville, and Southaven are going to be problematic for them. I think that realization is probably starting to sink in. Be fair, too, and realize the volume of posting on that board dwarfs this particular forum. You're going to have people coming out of the woodwork being idiots. Most of the OB posters over there are really pretty respectful. I root for OB anytime they aren't playing South Panola and just hope for good health when they place DeSoto Central and Southaven b/c I know kids and teachers, etc. at all 3. Try not to let your opinion of all of them be tainted by a few punkish-acting folks.

One comment particularly rang true to me and that's that Mississippi folks don't really know TN private school ball. Jackson Prep is the only school in Mississippi, I believe, that would even be in DII-AA in TN. Somebody can correct me on that. SBEC, when in the MPSA (now MAIS) was in the highest classification of private schools and probably even now is one of the top 5 private (not including parochial) schools in the state in enrollment and yet only plays DII-A in Tennessee. There's a real disconnect among most MS folks about TN privates. They simply don't realize the school size of the bigger DII schools in TN nor are there the same size metro areas in MS that can give you the population to pull from to populate a DII athletic program the way you see in Memphis or Nashville. They just haven't seen that before. I didn't realize until I got to college and lived in the metro Memphis area. I don't mean make excuses but most folks I know, once educated (and MUS did some awesome educating last year and BA just did some, too) come to realize how it works and that TN doesn't just have small town academies like most of the MS privates are.

There is some accuracy in what you say. I re\ad the entire scout.com thread. I would characterize the MS response as: we were't prepared, we were down, we need Pete Cordelli (defensive coordinator?)back fast, we played Cocoa FL close and they just beat Abilene TX so how did we get clobbered by BA.... I didn't see much respect for BA.

I will never understand those who denigrate the teams that beat them. It just further demeans your own team.