Big Games in Memphis

kwc

Malone, Formerly of Memphis Mitchell High, signed with my Crimson Tide! (Roll Tide Roll) I don't know if he is a red-shirt or non qualifier or down deep on the dept chart but he was a senior last season and he choose Alabama.

Thats great. Im glad to see he went somewhere cause he was a great wr when i seen him. Congrats to him.

KWC

I understand where you are coming from. If you look at the stats vs. Olive Branch, we had 5 picks and 15 penalties. We had more yards and won on time of possession. We had a QB issue to work out that we believe is just that, worked out now. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the coming weeks. Still waiting to see how good Mitchell is. They have not played a quality opponent yet. I think they will beat Fairley though. The test will be next week vs. Melrose. Yes, District 16 AAA is the SEC of Tennessee High School Football.

I know there are some other hard districts in the state ... but I have been touting District 16 AAA as the SEC of Tennessee high school football since its inception. I still believe that. You hit the nail on the head with that statement. I agree emphatically!

I know there are some other hard districts in the state ... but I have been touting District 16 AAA as the SEC of Tennessee high school football since its inception. I still believe that. You hit the nail on the head with that statement. I agree emphatically!

I usually don't do this but I will give another district credit where credit is due...

District 7 AAA is like the Big 12 of the state if we are like the SEC... They have 3 or 4 state championship winning programs! I can hardly wait to see someone from there in either the Semi-Finals or Final game this season!!! 8-)

Blackman (Murfreesboro)

Riverdale (Murfreesboro)

Oakland (Murfreesboro)

Siegel (Murfreesboro)

LaVergne

Smyrna

RESPECT DA HAVEN

Thanks for getting us started, KWC.

Here are my picks for the week:

Sheffield (3-0) @ Briarcrest (3-0)- Briarcrest by 7 in a competitive game.

Collierville (2-0) @ Arlington (2-1)- Collierville by 3 in a competitive game.

White Station (0-3) @ CBHS (2-0)- CBHS by 10.

Brighton (3-0) @ Covington (2-1)- Brighton by 14 or more.

ECS (2-0) @ St. George's (3-0)- ECS by 20 or more.

Fairley (1-2) @ Mitchell (3-0)- Mitchell by 10 or more.

Melrose (0-2) @ Wooddale (2-0)- Wooddale by 2 or more.

Millington (1-1) @ Munford (1-1)- Millington by 21 or more.

Whitehaven (3-0) @ Ridgeway (2-0)- Whitehaven by 8.

Now concerning Melrose...I am of the opinion that except for the pride and swagger that the kids still have, one very talented QB, and still being inimidating to some teams, Melrose is down. I attend many of their games, and have been very disappointed with the development, depth and play of the offensive and defensive lines and linebackers. In my opinion, this is where the current coaching staff is failing the program. The good news for Melrose though is the kids and their attitude about being Golden Wildcats; there is a lot of pride there. And that alone is worth at least 3 wins a season, at least for now.

Thanks for getting us started, KWC.

Here are my picks for the week:

Sheffield (3-0) @ Briarcrest (3-0)- Briarcrest by 7 in a competitive game.

Collierville (2-0) @ Arlington (2-1)- Collierville by 3 in a competitive game.

White Station (0-3) @ CBHS (2-0)- CBHS by 10.

Brighton (3-0) @ Covington (2-1)- Brighton by 14 or more.

ECS (2-0) @ St. George's (3-0)- ECS by 20 or more.

Fairley (1-2) @ Mitchell (3-0)- Mitchell by 10 or more.

Melrose (0-2) @ Wooddale (2-0)- Wooddale by 2 or more.

Millington (1-1) @ Munford (1-1)- Millington by 21 or more.

Whitehaven (3-0) @ Ridgeway (2-0)- Whitehaven by 8.

Now concerning Melrose...I am of the opinion that except for the pride and swagger that the kids still have, one very talented QB, and still being inimidating to some teams, Melrose is down. I attend many of their games, and have been very disappointed with the development, depth and play of the offensive and defensive lines and linebackers. In my opinion, this is where the current coaching staff is failing the program. The good news for Melrose though is the kids and their attitude about being Golden Wildcats; there is a lot of pride there. And that alone is worth at least 3 wins a season, at least for now.

One huge difference in the Melrose program as compared with the last 10 years or so is that the Wildcats miss their old D coordinator. I believe his name was Matthews (might be wrong here). I do know that the Melrose D was something to see, year in and year out. They miss him....and it shows!

Congrations to Melrose for holding off Woodale 34-28. Please pray for 2 melrose players that got hurt tonight . The names are Timothy Baldwin, Courtney Drain both of them got into a ambulance. Here is the article from the Commercial appeal from tonights game. Good luck to both teams the rest of the way. Timothy and Courtney i wish you a speedy recovery.

Melrose 34, (7) Wooddale 28

Melrose won its first football game of the season Thursday night at Halle, but you could forgive the Golden Wildcats if they didn’t really feel like celebrating all that much.

Melrose (1-2) held off Wooddale, 34-28, in a game that was marred by a pair of serious injuries to Golden Wildcats players.

Timothy Baldwin, a senior defensive back, suffered a serious ankle injury covering a first-half kickoff and left the stadium in an ambulance.

Then early in the fourth quarter, junior linebacker Courtney Drain went down with a neck injury and lay on the field for well over 30 minutes while anxious Melrose players and coaches waited for help.

Golden Wildcats coach Hubbard Alexander, who was visibly shaken by Drain’s injury — and the inexplicably long wait for the ambulance — said his player had feeling in his extremities and that trainers present at the game were being careful not to move Drain’s neck.

“It’s your worst nightmare come true,†he said. “It’s something you can never prepare for.

“He’s a 4.0 student, very conscientious. He always has a smile on his face. Just a complete person.â€

Melrose quarterback Will Gross said the injuries left him and his teammates “speechless†but at the same time determined to hang on to the victory.

The injuries to Baldwin and Drain overshadowed a pair of terrific individual performance and a stirring second-half rally by the Cardinals.

Gross finished the game with five touchdown passes, four in the first half as the Golden Wildcats built a 26-7 lead.

“Anyone watching the game could see we let them have too many big plays in the first half,†said Cardinals coach Lynord Crutchfield. “We were giving them momentum.â€

But running back Jovon Robinson sparked a second-half comeback by Wooddale (2-1, ranked seventh in The Commercial Appeal Dandy Dozen).

Robinson reached high to make a one-handed catch on a screen pass, then tightroped 62 yards down the left sideline to make it 26-14 early in the third quarter.

Moments later, the 6-0, 215-pound junior went 64 yards on a draw play to bring the Cardinals to within 26-21.

Robinson finished with 191 yards on 16 carries and the 62-yard reception.

“He’s a special kid,†said Crutchfield. “He loves to play football and doesn’t like to lose. And he has the skills. When you mix that all together it comes out in a special combination.â€

Robinson’s 9-yard run on the drive that was delayed by Drain’s injury made the score 34-28 and with less than four minutes left, Wooddale mounted a final drive that could have tied or won the game.

But Demarrion Graham’s pass was acrobatically picked off by Melrose’s Quinton Cochran and the Golden Wildcats were able to run out the clock.

“I was baiting him into throwing it my way,†Cochran said. “I made up a lot of ground (on the ball) and I just knew it would fall into my arms.â€

While pleased to get the victory, Alexander said his “heart was heavy.

“I really feel bad for the families. I just hope everything is going all right.â€

My man OMW ... what's up with you? Man ... we need to catch up! Your boys have had a rough start of it this year but I agree ... they've played good competition and have been very competative. But ... no rest for the weary ... LOL. I've been reading these Memphis area high school football threads and couldn't help but think... "Man! ... I remember when it was only me and OMW and a few others on here talking about Memphis football and Memphis didn't get ANY respect." Times have changed from those days hasn't it? There are a lot more posters on here from Memphis. I love it! I don't feel like the Lone Ranger anymore ... LOLOLOL.

Anyway ... I know you are watching from TX my brother ... keepin your eye on those 'Golden Wildcats'. It's always good to see you post on here!

As reported by another poster on this thread, my Golden Wildcats got a victory over Wooddale on Thursday night. Our total demise has been exaggerated. We had a couple of scary injuries and our prayers go out to the kids and their families.

Some people underestimate what it means for Orange Mound kids to wear the Maroon and Gold. These kids and the Orange Mound Community will not let this program be down long. This Melrose team is not one of our most talented, but won't quit and will get better.

KDub, you are a big reason that the Memphis football experience on Coach T has improved. I dropped off a lot as my son was playing here in Texas. You kept the juices flowing with the Big Games in Memphis posts. Kudos!!!

The football talent in Memphis is far reaching. White Station beating Maryville last year was a big step to gaining much deserved respect for Memphis high school football.

I don't have the opportunity to see games in Memphis much anymore so I limit my posts. One thing I do know is Don't Sleep On the Golden Wildcats Baby! I still agonize over our lack of kicking game. For health reasons, I won't get into that conversation too deep!