Oakland v. Riverdale

MidTennFootball

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win this storied rivalry game?

• Oakland
    • Riverdale

Good grief, You Blackman folk wear your feelings on your sleeves. If you will READ my post I said RIGHT NOW Oakland and Smyrna would be the top two teams. I made that assumption because BOTH are 5-0 and the others aren't. Of course anything can happen in the next 5 games to change that.riverdaleman is correct, traditionally Farragat, Cookeville, and LC are good teams. All three normally win their region and go to the playoffs. Can you say the same for Cane Ridge or Staion Camp ( 1-3)?

I was trying to compliment this scrappy Riverdale team and hope that we don't have GOOD teams from our region that get bumped from going to the playoffs and that includes Blackman . And one more thing, I plan on Oakland adding another GOLD to our trophy case, so I plan on us beating Smyrna too, riverdaleman.

Edited by 2priceless

I can't believe you think this team can go all the way to the semi finals like last years team did.Let me refresh your memory.Last years kicker put the ball in the endzone every big time game the warriors had last year.Plus won a game(farragut), with a long field goal at the end of the game.Field position is really important come playoff time.Just ask Blackman.

I dont think it is crazy to think that Riverdale could repeat last year's success. They have a offense that when they get going, can stay on field for huge chunks at a time, in a way protecting that secondary.

I think Riverdale simply fought to hard to get back into that game to put it on the back of one kid, whom I feel absolutely terrible for. If Riverdale made a conscious effort to actually go for the endzone and fall short I can live with that. You play to win the game, and Coach A was playing not to lose. I applaud him having faith in his kicker, not many coaches do, but as shaky as he was last night, I question the reasoning and I talked to many many Riverdale fans that I trust who felt the same way.

Was it a great game? Absolutely, maybe the best BoB ever, that doesnt mean that it was without mistakes on both sides...........

To all of your people that you talked to that felt the same way and yourself.......if the kid made the field, any of them, would they and you think the same way? I think Coach A was playing to win. He had confidence that his kicker could get the job done. Plain and simple. People always look to the coach but I didnt see a coach botch a snap or miss a field goal. Both teams played great. Both have things to work on. I agree with you on that.

Good grief, You Blackman folk wear your feelings on your sleeves. If you will READ my post I said RIGHT NOW Oakland and Smyrna would be the top two teams. I made that assumption because BOTH are 5-0 and the others aren't. Of course anything can happen in the next 5 games to change that.riverdaleman is correct, traditionally Farragat, Cookeville, and LC are good teams. All three normally win their region and go to the playoffs. Can you say the same for Cane Ridge or Staion Camp ( 1-3)?

I was trying to compliment this scrappy Riverdale team and hope that we don't have GOOD teams from our region that get bumped from going to the playoffs and that includes Blackman . And one more thing, I plan on Oakland adding another GOLD to our trophy case, so I plan on us beating Smyrna too, riverdaleman.

Your Oakland boys and Smyrna will battle for #1 and #2. Sad thing is someone from this region will be well deserving of a playoff spot and not get in while someone will be undeserving from another region and will get in. The playoff system stinks.

Agree with you that it would be ashamed for 1 of our region teams to get bumped from the playoffs. There is no doubt that Oakland, Smyrna, Blackman, and Riverdale all deserve playoff spots.

Agree with you that it would be ashamed for 1 of our region teams to get bumped from the playoffs. There is no doubt that Oakland, Smyrna, Blackman, and Riverdale all deserve playoff spots.

If all four get seven wins they will all get in, even six wins will likely get them in. Lots of football still to be played and either Riverdale or Blackman, or both, could make it in to the top 2. A three-way tie like last year is still a distinct possibility.

Don't know about Blackamn, but I don't think anyone at Riverdale is conceding a win to Smyrna.

Special teams as good as last years?

SECMAN i think that this can be worked on and fixed...i think that this stuff can and will improve during the course of the year...i will give you 2 reasons why..1) the kids(kicker and long snapper) probably blaming themselves for the loss...and will work extra on the side in practice to correct it...2)the kids has a decent leg and can kick i have seen him work so yes I think this will improve as well...

as far as coach A playing not to lose in this game i DISAGREE...I think he played it smart...I just wish the kid had downed it on the third down kick like was intended on a bad snap...

SECMAN i think that this can be worked on and fixed...i think that this stuff can and will improve during the course of the year...i will give you 2 reasons why..1) the kids(kicker and long snapper) probably blaming themselves for the loss...and will work extra on the side in practice to correct it...2)the kids has a decent leg and can kick i have seen him work so yes I think this will improve as well...

as far as coach A playing not to lose in this game i DISAGREE...I think he played it smart...I just wish the kid had downed it on the third down kick like was intended on a bad snap...

I blame the coach for putting the kid in a bad situation. He hadn't made a kick all night. Why put him in that postion when you had been running the ball at will the whole second half?

Hadn't he just made his previous kick? It was a great situation..we just hadn't prepared the kicking unit for that situation.

I don't believe that Riverdale devotes as much time to special teams practice as they do their offense. I've seen them in a lot of scrimmages where they didn't do any kicking. I've never seen them in a scrimmage that they didn't do any offense. I can't help but draw conclusions about our commitment to special teams. Therefore, I'm not surprised that special teams have cost us so many games during Coach A's tenure.

So, if you practice your offense all the time, every day, and it's the strength of your team...then why do you go to the least practiced and developed area of your team on third down, early in the season, in the most pressure-packed scenario possible. I understand Coach A's explanation in the paper completely, and I've seen lots of coaches do it before, but those coaches had experienced, well-oiled special team units that were proven. Riverdale and Coach A didn't have that. I just can't follow the thought process that says anything other than play to your strength in that situation. If the call was made on 4th down I'm 100% on board.

This game is done. The snapper, holder, and kicker...the whole field goal/extra point team need to work doubly hard to correct the mistakes and be ready when called on next. Coach A needs to kick when the situation calls for it and give these guys experience. We've had those situations already this year, gone for it on 4th down, and got stuffed. Had we kicked in those situations, we might have been ready to kick in overtime in the biggest game of the year.

Just learn from the mistakes and move on to Farragut. There is still plenty to play for, including a gold ball. There are a lot of special things about this team.