Alcoa Zoning Restrictions

matt_8777

I really don't have a dog in this fight and I respect what Alcoa accomplishes year in and year out. Being an old ex successful football player I know about the work it takes to be successful.

But I can't buy into what appears to be your population arguement.

Benton County's population as of 7/09 was at 16,025 and has declined by 3% since 7/03. (16,000 pop. per school)

Blount County's population as of 7/09 was at 122,700 and has increased by 9.2% since 7/03. (30,675 pop. per school)

Just saying....

I'm going to say this again, back in the 90's when Alcoa was going 6-6, 3-7,5-5 with this open enrollment, where was all this complaining???...I was part of a state championship team at Alcoa and our fs was an all-state player and probably the best safety to ever play at Alcoa....He LIVED IN GREENBACK HIS WHOLE LIFE!! but no one ever said anything back then...Now that the gold balls are stacking up in Blount Co. everyone wants to complain. You could take all the OOZ players off our state championship team and we would have still won state, because most of our GREAT athletes are born and raised on 1 of the 13 streets!!.....And I can give you names ;)

I'm going to say this again, back in the 90's when Alcoa was going 6-6, 3-7,5-5 with this open enrollment, where was all this complaining???...I was part of a state championship team at Alcoa and our fs was an all-state player and probably the best safety to ever play at Alcoa....He LIVED IN GREENBACK HIS WHOLE LIFE!! but no one ever said anything back then...Now that the gold balls are stacking up in Blount Co. everyone wants to complain. You could take all the OOZ players off our state championship team and we would have still won state, because most of our GREAT athletes are born and raised on 1 of the 13 streets!!.....And I can give you names ;)

First, in the 90s, CoachT.com did not exist. Secondly, I still think people were complaining, just now they have a public forum to voice their opinions. It is just frustrating to fans of programs who work just as hard as Alcoa, but can not overcome them. Now, do I think Alcoa would still be the top dog if the OOZ athletes were sent packing? I do not know the answer cause no one can give anyone the names or numbers of those students who are OOZ.

Like the movie says, if you build it they will come. Ever since Alcoa beat Lipscomb in 2004. The program has been back on the rise. Now if you are a good athlete moving to the area, then you want to move into the Alcoa zone. We can't complain about that, but if the parents can find a home outside of Alcoa in Blount Co. and still go to Alcoa that is not fair.

This debate would end if

1. Alcoa just came out and stated how many OOZ athletes they have. If it is not a large number then the argument is put to rest. If it is a large number then those complaining have a fair argument.

2. The TSSAA would put a multiplier similar to the privates but not as large on those schools that allow OOZ students at their schools.

3. Alcoa starts losing games.

So until one of those three things happen, there will continue to be threads just like this one.

First, in the 90s, CoachT.com did not exist. Secondly, I still think people were complaining, just now they have a public forum to voice their opinions. It is just frustrating to fans of programs who work just as hard as Alcoa, but can not overcome them. Now, do I think Alcoa would still be the top dog if the OOZ athletes were sent packing? I do not know the answer cause no one can give anyone the names or numbers of those students who are OOZ.

Like the movie says, if you build it they will come. Ever since Alcoa beat Lipscomb in 2004. The program has been back on the rise. Now if you are a good athlete moving to the area, then you want to move into the Alcoa zone. We can't complain about that, but if the parents can find a home outside of Alcoa in Blount Co. and still go to Alcoa that is not fair.

This debate would end if

1. Alcoa just came out and stated how many OOZ athletes they have. If it is not a large number then the argument is put to rest. If it is a large number then those complaining have a fair argument.

2. The TSSAA would put a multiplier similar to the privates but not as large on those schools that allow OOZ students at their schools.

3. Alcoa starts losing games.

So until one of those three things happen, there will continue to be threads just like this one.

Why is there a debate Gerry? Alcoa is not breaking any rules. You are correct though...there should be a multiplier. Last year and this year it wouldn't have matter. Alcoa would have still won state championships in their division.

The one poster that brought up that Alcoa had OZZ players when they were not as good is correct...good point. But to say that it doesn't make a difference is incorrect. In 2009 Alcoa started the season with 37% OZZ players on their roster. They also had 9 of their stating 22 positions occupied with OZZ players. Very significant to say the least....but again they are playing by the rules. This years percentage is unknown by me but I would imagine that it is down slightly since there had been a few defections prior to the start of the season.

Since I am a Maryville supporter let me use them as an example. While Maryville never had the shear numbers of OZZ players as Alcoa does it would be erroneous to state that it didn't make a difference. OZZ players were very prevalent during their state championship runs, particularly from 98 to 2005. Since that year the influence has decreased with the school filling up and virtually zero OZZ players on the roster today. Plus Maryville is now 6 A so the multiplier is not an issue at this time. But, Maryville should have been playing in 5A for most of decade beginning in 2000.

I enjoy with a chuckle some of the replies from Alcoa supporters. They mimic almost to the T some of the Maryville fan's responses a few years back to this topic. Without OZZ players Alcoa would still be an outstanding team but in no way as strong as they currently are. Again....they are not breaking rules. The coaches coach what shows up and are obviously in a great position to enjoy talent and high roster numbers somewhat made possible by the open zone advantage.

Here is the issues with Blount and surrounding counties that contribute to Alcoa's high number of OOZ players. The two county schools have mostly struggled in football and with a merry-go-round of coaching changes it's not been a good environment for athletes that want consistency and the opportunity to excel. The academics, as per the state testing results, are better at Alcoa versus the county schools. Thus you see the influx of athletes and academically minded kids/parents enrolling in Alcoa from the county in addition to surrounding counties. Until the county schools start making significant progress in these two areas, whether perceived or factual, this trend will continue. How can you blame a parent for wanting the best available for their child?

I was talking to a Heritage supporter a while back and he was voicing his concern through humor regarding the number of "Heritage kids" that played at Alcoa. His comments were He**....I have to go to an Alcoa game to see Heritage kids play. Obviously exaggerated but with a slight ring of truth. Alcoa fans are enjoying this advantage as they should and I don't blame them for promoting their team as they have. They are a talented and exciting bunch to watch.

Why is there a debate Gerry? Alcoa is not breaking any rules. You are correct though...there should be a multiplier. Last year and this year it wouldn't have matter. Alcoa would have still won state championships in their division.

The one poster that brought up that Alcoa had OZZ players when they were not as good is correct...good point. But to say that it doesn't make a difference is incorrect. In 2009 Alcoa started the season with 37% OZZ players on their roster. They also had 9 of their stating 22 positions occupied with OZZ players. Very significant to say the least....but again they are playing by the rules. This years percentage is unknown by me but I would imagine that it is down slightly since there had been a few defections prior to the start of the season.

Since I am a Maryville supporter let me use them as an example. While Maryville never had the shear numbers of OZZ players as Alcoa does it would be erroneous to state that it didn't make a difference. OZZ players were very prevalent during their state championship runs, particularly from 98 to 2005. Since that year the influence has decreased with the school filling up and virtually zero OZZ players on the roster today. Plus Maryville is now 6 A so the multiplier is not an issue at this time. But, Maryville should have been playing in 5A for most of decade beginning in 2000.

I enjoy with a chuckle some of the replies from Alcoa supporters. They mimic almost to the T some of the Maryville fan's responses a few years back to this topic. Without OZZ players Alcoa would still be an outstanding team but in no way as strong as they currently are. Again....they are not breaking rules. The coaches coach what shows up and are obviously in a great position to enjoy talent and high roster numbers somewhat made possible by the open zone advantage.

Here is the issues with Blount and surrounding counties that contribute to Alcoa's high number of OOZ players. The two county schools have mostly struggled in football and with a merry-go-round of coaching changes it's not been a good environment for athletes that want consistency and the opportunity to excel. The academics, as per the state testing results, are better at Alcoa versus the county schools. Thus you see the influx of athletes and academically minded kids/parents enrolling in Alcoa from the county in addition to surrounding counties. Until the county schools start making significant progress in these two areas, whether perceived or factual, this trend will continue. How can you blame a parent for wanting the best available for their child?

I was talking to a Heritage supporter a while back and he was voicing his concern through humor regarding the number of "Heritage kids" that played at Alcoa. His comments were He**....I have to go to an Alcoa game to see Heritage kids play. Obviously exaggerated but with a slight ring of truth. Alcoa fans are enjoying this advantage as they should and I don't blame them for promoting their team as they have. They are a talented and exciting bunch to watch.

Excellent! :thumb:

Reb why do you always insist on watering down the number of OOZ players that have been on Maryville's roster? Since you know all of the statistics sir, what's the percentage of OHR(Oldfield/Hall/Rockford) players on Alcoa's roster? Because truth be told, those are the kids that opponents should worry about :thumb:

Here's my thought....Alcoa is one of four High SChools in Blount COunty. Students out side of the city of Alcoa and Maryville can pay tuition and attend the city schools.

PLUS,Blount County is not the only County with open zone.

Then you have Counties with only one High SChool. EXample: Benton County, where Camden Central is located. They can pull ALL the talent from the entire County without sharing talented players with other High Schools in the area. I see this as a huge advantage for shcools like Camden Central!

Now, Alcoa has to share talented players in the area with 3 area 6A High Schools.

So.....Imo, the open zone is simply a convenient excuse for people like the Camden guy that started this thread why Alcoa is successful!

it would be interesting to know if the tuition was ever ' "waived" for certain "special" students.

Reb why do you always insist on watering down the number of OOZ players that have been on Maryville's roster? Since you know all of the statistics sir, what's the percentage of OHR(Oldfield/Hall/Rockford) players on Alcoa's roster? Because truth be told, those are the kids that opponents should worry about :thumb:

is Rockford in the Alcoa city limits?

Here's my thought....Alcoa is one of four High SChools in Blount COunty. Students out side of the city of Alcoa and Maryville can pay tuition and attend the city schools.

PLUS,Blount County is not the only County with open zone.

Then you have Counties with only one High SChool. EXample: Benton County, where Camden Central is located. They can pull ALL the talent from the entire County without sharing talented players with other High Schools in the area. I see this as a huge advantage for shcools like Camden Central!

Now, Alcoa has to share talented players in the area with 3 area 6A High Schools.

So.....Imo, the open zone is simply a convenient excuse for people like the Camden guy that started this thread why Alcoa is successful!

BC, I never asked the question to try to diminish the quality of football at Alcoa. I simply asked a question. The others on this thread have escilated this into a "this isn't fair to us" campaign. I just wanted to know the facts. I mean, yeah, they could recruit the best players from the 500,000 or so people that live in that area, but yes they do have competition with the other 6A schools. The fact that you have "Exposure" to SEC scouts there also draws the players to Alcoa. If I had a son that was good enough to play for Alcoa or CAK, I would definately send him to Alcoa. That's a no brainer. Benton County does have 2 High Schools just so we get the facts correct, but only one football program. Benton County has approx 17,000 residents to pull their talent.

Alcoa is successful because they are talented, hard working, well coached, have good boosters, and excutute the game plan better than who they play. I'm making NO excuses why Alcoa is successful. Didn't know you needed an excuse to be successful. The NY Yankees have the largest payroll in baseball and have the most talent money can buy. Do they need an excuse to be beaten by Tampa Bay? No. So don't go trying to say what my motives for starting a thread or asking a question.