Gerry Bertier's Unofficial Official 3A Rankings

Gerry Bertier

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's tough to even make a good guess on all four quads and their teams since 4A teams finishing first or second in the regular season district affects the number of wild cards. I did a really rough breakdown and had Elizbethton, Alcoa, Goodpasture, Camden at the top of each. Something a little interesting, I had CAK in Quad 1, away from Alcoa, due to a lack of northeast teams qualifying. I looked closer at one team, Sequatchie and had them seeded third or fifth in quad 3, depending on winning or finishing second in District 7-hosting East Literature or traveling to Greenbriar. We'll see how accurate that is in a few weeks.

If TSSAA draws vertical lines to geographically separate the quads, then Alcoa will go to the Quad 1 instead of CAK. Alcoa is further east than CAK.

1. Alcoa- Will anyone give the Tornadoes a game this season? From the first 5 weeks of things, the answer looks to be no.

2. CAK- They may have been the 2nd best team in the state the last couple of years, but being Alcoa's district has hurt their chances of taking the next step.

3. Goodpasture- The Cougars are back with new helmets, a big athletic offensive line and a passing game. Looks like we may get a Alcoa vs. Goodpasture state championship game.

4. Camden- Coach Ward and staff may have their best team since he and his staff have been there. Being multi-dimensional on offense will increase the Lions chances of making a run to Cookeville.

5. Loudon- Could easily be #3 or 4 on the ranking as they are 2-2 losing to the #1 and # 2 teams in the poll. The Redskins have the bad luck of having both CAK and Alcoa in the same district.

6. Westview- Coach Coady has his best team in the past couple of seasons, played Camden tough and the Chargers may meet the Lions in the Quarters for the right to play Goodpasture.

7. Milan- Coach Morris is developing this young Bulldog team that looks to be a force come November. Only loss is to # 5 Westview.

8. Pearl Cohn- The Firebirds are 3-2 on the season losing to MBA and BGA. They have speed and athleticism at every position and could present problems for teams come November.

9. Smith Co.- Owls have a solid squad once again. May have a bird matchup Owls vs. Firebirds for the right to play Goodpasture in the Quarters.

10. Polk Co.- After having a breakout season, they have rebounded with only one loss in the first 5 weeks to Bradley Central.

Let the bashing begin.

...Check out my comment on the AP Poll thread...losses are to Division II(Baylor) and Ooltewah(AAA)...outgained(total yards) and out-1st downed both teams!!!

If TSSAA draws vertical lines to geographically separate the quads, then Alcoa will go to the Quad 1 instead of CAK. Alcoa is further east than CAK.

igiveup.gif

After the past few years, especially after last year, I've given up on even speculating on what the TSSAA will do. Their actions have been contradictory to their very own guidelines and instructional videos (see 2009). I'm convinced that CAK, if playoff eligible, will face Alcoa in Round 1 or 2 every year, regardless of records, rankings, geographical vertical lines, natural castrophes, the price of gasoline, etc.... You can tell I'm a bit jaded, ha.

igiveup.gif

After the past few years, especially after last year, I've given up on even speculating on what the TSSAA will do. Their actions have been contradictory to their very own guidelines and instructional videos (see 2009). I'm convinced that CAK, if playoff eligible, will face Alcoa in Round 1 or 2 every year, regardless of records, rankings, geographical vertical lines, natural castrophes, the price of gasoline, etc.... You can tell I'm a bit jaded, ha.

Yea, it has not been fair to CAK.The Warriors would have played very deep into the playoffs the last couple of years!

Yea, it has not been fair to CAK.The Warriors would have played very deep into the playoffs the last couple of years!

I appreciate the comment BC. I don't know how far the Warriors could have gotten the last few years; we'll never know of course. But I do believe CAK has been a top 5 team and while they might not have won, could have competed with any team in 3A not named Alcoa.

I do think it's interesting that last year, a team can go 9-1 with it's only loss to the best team in the state and still end up facing them in round 2.

Oh well, 2010 is a different year. Maybe things will be different this year. At least last year when they messed up the brackets, CAK was in quad 1 for several hours. That may be as close as we're going to get to finding out if the Warriors are really a top notch 3A team.

Edited by Govolsknox

I'm a Polk fan and I agree with APB. The one decent team they have played they lost to. Polk may end up with 8 or 9 wins but will lose as soon as they run into Alcoa, CAK, Loudon, or Tyner.

Any other teams you wanna throw in there????

They should have beaten Bradley and could have beaten MC and Sweetwater by 100 if they wanted but their brand of football isn't about glamour points.