Maryville @ Oak Ridge

tnchad1980

Who wins?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Cats or Rebels?

• Oak Ridge
    • Maryville

yeah mhs, i live in maryville, although i am a oak ridge grad.. and i get sick and tired of hearing alcoa fans, and others, not just them saying maryville pays off refs, that is just absolutely the dumbest thing i have ever heard... i agree with you though, i thought the horse collar shoulda been called (althoi think that is a stupid penalty), but thats beside the point... it is one and shoulda been called... i thought the guy earlier was implying that oak ridge is a dirty team? i was like what? lol i just saw a tough hard hitting game was all i saw... and i agree with you, the refs were kindadumbfounded the whole game it seemed like, weird.

Who got horse collared?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blade, I was talking mainly about no calls. But I did miss the roughing the passer on Oak Ridge that negated a fumble recovery by the Wildcats. I thought they called a fumble on Oak Ridge once when the ball carrier appeared to be down. Not sure who got horse collared, may have been West, it was a Maryville ball carrier. Like I said earlier, these did not seem to be to favor either side, crew just seemed a little jittery.

pretty sure it was west #2 on the mville sidelines, but hey that happens sometimes... i cant say for sure it was a horse collar, cause i am on the oak ridge side, but whatever.

The only thing I saw was a couple of Jack Lambert or Bill Romo style hits out there. It is odd to see fans of team that won by that much complain about the refs..

Edited by bladerunner

Blade, I was talking mainly about no calls. But I did miss the roughing the passer on Oak Ridge that negated a fumble recovery by the Wildcats. I thought they called a fumble on Oak Ridge once when the ball carrier appeared to be down. Not sure who got horse collared, may have been West, it was a Maryville ball carrier. Like I said earlier, these did not seem to be to favor either side, crew just seemed a little jittery.

yeah, i thought i saw a late hit on fluud on the OR sideline that wasnt called also... like you say, it was both sides.

The only thing I saw was a couple of Jack Lambert or Bill Romo style hits out there. It is odd to see a fans of team that won by that much complain about the refs..

I've been to all of Maryville's games this year and this was the first game I came away with the opinion that the opponent was playing to cause injury purposely. Most of the late hits I saw were by a second Oak Ridge defender coming in to make a hit on the ball carrier after another defender had stopped the ball carrier's progress. On the play that Desmond Horne was injured on, I saw a Oak Ridge defender hit him in the back with his helmet after he was tackled by another defender. Should have been a Personal Foul Spearing/Late Hit call.

I accept that you generally don't get the calls you think you deserve on the road, but you hate to see kids intentionally trying to injure your players without the occasional flag to deter it...

yeah, there were definitely some good hits in that game... one of the hardest hitting games i have seen in awhile.

I could hear it up where I sat.. Maryville had some tough kids just to be able to get up from some of those hits.. Hats off ( no pun intended) to the OR staff for getting them ready on D. Now let's go to work on the O!

I've been to all of Maryville's games this year and this was the first game I came away with the opinion that the opponent was playing to cause injury purposely. Most of the late hits I saw were by a second Oak Ridge defender coming in to make a hit on the ball carrier after another defender had stopped the ball carrier's progress. On the play that Desmond Horne was injured on, I saw a Oak Ridge defender hit him in the back with his helmet after he was tackled by another defender. Should have been a Personal Foul Spearing/Late Hit call.

I accept that you generally don't get the calls you think you deserve on the road, but you hate to see kids intentionally trying to injure your players without the occasional flag to deter it...

Are you a Maryville fan? Did you go to the WB game back in 06? Did not see it that way when WB was on the losing end huh?

Edited by bladerunner

sorry, but i didnt come away with that impression at all... to each there own though..im pretty sure scott blade the OR coach told his players to intentionally hurt a maryville player... not im plying you think that, but i just didnt see this nasty play everybody is crying about... maybe its cause i am an oak ridge fan, who knows? all i saw was hard hitting going on.. if i saw some blatant hits by OR i would admit to it, but i really didnt... if you have ever played football, you know that a lot of times a kid has a split second choice when to hit a player and not to hit a player.. sometimes guys go down when you think there not gonna go down.. it is rather hard, unless your superman to just take back the momentum you have at the time your about to make a hit... it is football man, it happens.

sorry, but i didnt come away with that impression at all... to each there own though..im pretty sure scott blade the OR coach told his players to intentionally hurt a maryville player... not im plying you think that, but i just didnt see this nasty play everybody is crying about... maybe its cause i am an oak ridge fan, who knows? all i saw was hard hitting going on.. if i saw some blatant hits by OR i would admit to it, but i really didnt... if you have ever played football, you know that a lot of times a kid has a split second choice when to hit a player and not to hit a player.. sometimes guys go down when you think there not gonna go down.. it is rather hard, unless your superman to just take back the momentum you have at the time your about to make a hit... it is football man, it happens.

No crying here..just stating what most of the fans sitting around me in the Maryville section thought was obvious. I talked with several Maryville players after the game who confirmed what we saw.

Edited by EarlVolFan

No crying here..just stating what most of the fans sitting around me in the Maryville section thought was obvious. I talked with several Maryville players after the game who confirmed what we saw.

Yes, I'm a Maryville fan - my son is a Senior lineman and I played for Maryville many moons ago. I suspect that the Oak Ridge coach teaches the followup hits to try to intimidate the opponent, which probably works with some teams. It motivated Maryville, however, to play harder.

i suspect if it was that big of an issue, GQ would have taken it up with the refs at the half, but i am pretty sure he didnt... cause he was behind me the whole time at halftime where the mville players come up... and btw, if there is no whistle that has been blown, the guy is fair game... which im sure you know, but never did i hear a whistle and an OR player coming in and late hitting or spearing somebody... till that whistle is blown you can decapitate the guy if you wish.