Maryville @ Oak Ridge

tnchad1980

Who wins?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Cats or Rebels?

• Oak Ridge
    • Maryville

First time to Oak Ridge. After all these years of watching HS football it's hard to believe that I have never been to a Oak Ridge game and their stadium. Great setting and it's nice to visit schools that actually have enough seating. Good game and good challenge for Maryville. Several Maryville kids got some quality time but most of the first saw a full game, something they needed. Thought OR was one of the dirtiest teams I have saw in a while....no surprise though since that is a coach blade signature. That was confirmed by several. Good luck to the ridgers.

Edited by MLREB

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the radio, David Clary and Scott Monger were basically begging the crowd the get behind the team at that time.

What's the latest news on Cam Gregg? I'm not positive, but it looked like he was hurt on the stripped reception that was a "roughing the passer" penalty. Looked like a forearm made it through his facemask while trying to recover the fumble.

I know there are just kids, but our recievers need to grow up and catch the ball. Other teams players can do it.

Talked to his Dad this morning... got a gash on his nose and got sewed up and goes to the "Nose" doctor monday morning. Probably hurts like the devil. Bet he'll look real pretty by wednesday, black eyes and all!

First time to Oak Ridge. After all these years of watching HS football it's hard to believe that I have never been to a Oak Ridge game and their stadium. Great setting and it's nice to visit schools that actually have enough seating. Good game and good challenge for Maryville. Several Maryville kids got some quality time but most of the first saw a full game, something they needed. Thought OR was one of the dirtiest teams I have saw in a while....no surprise though since that is a coach blade signature. That was confirmed by several. Good luck to the ridgers.

really? have never heard that before(blades teams being dirty?) not being sarcastic either... where was the dirty playing at? not bein a smart A, i just didnt really see it i dont guess... where was the dirty play reb? honest question

really? have never heard that before(blades teams being dirty?) not being sarcastic either... where was the dirty playing at? not bein a smart A, i just didnt really see it i dont guess... where was the dirty play reb? honest question

Not claiming Blade or the Ridgers are "dirty" but the officiating last night was atrocious. And I only bring it up because some people have made a living on these boards claiming home cooking always goes on at Maryville. And I am sure this crew was assigned by someone other than Oak Ridge, just as the Maryville officials are. The officials made Maryville's first td a clueless comedy. They still have not signaled touchdown on that play. Because they flagged Oak Ridge for pass interference, they huddled forever and still did not signal touchdown. Once a player crosses the goal line you signal touchdown. If a penalty takes the points off the board fine, but at that moment it is a touchdown. They finally said the foul would be assessed on the kickoff but still have not signaled touchdown.

Fairly obvious late hit on Des Horne on the kickoff return he was injured on, and not saying that caused the injury. But it appeared he was clearly on the ground and someone got a fairly late shot in.

The most obvious was a Maryville ball carrier being horse collared right in front of the Maryville bench in the second half. No doubt on that one. Grabbed around the collar of his shoulder pads from behind and jerked backwards. Ref standing right at it and did nothing, as the Maryville coaches went ballistic.

These were just a few I saw and I honestly don't think it was all one sided, these refs just seemed inept in general on both sides. Seemed like each time a flag was thrown they all looked at each other as if they were all looking for help from each other. And I know Oak Ridge does not hand pick these either, they are assigned by someone else. Just like at Maryville.

Not claiming Blade or the Ridgers are "dirty" but the officiating last night was atrocious. And I only bring it up because some people have made a living on these boards claiming home cooking always goes on at Maryville. And I am sure this crew was assigned by someone other than Oak Ridge, just as the Maryville officials are. The officials made Maryville's first td a clueless comedy. They still have not signaled touchdown on that play. Because they flagged Oak Ridge for pass interference, they huddled forever and still did not signal touchdown. Once a player crosses the goal line you signal touchdown. If a penalty takes the points off the board fine, but at that moment it is a touchdown. They finally said the foul would be assessed on the kickoff but still have not signaled touchdown.

Fairly obvious late hit on Des Horne on the kickoff return he was injured on, and not saying that caused the injury. But it appeared he was clearly on the ground and someone got a fairly late shot in.

The most obvious was a Maryville ball carrier being horse collared right in front of the Maryville bench in the second half. No doubt on that one. Grabbed around the collar of his shoulder pads from behind and jerked backwards. Ref standing right at it and did nothing, as the Maryville coaches went ballistic.

These were just a few I saw and I honestly don't think it was all one sided, these refs just seemed inept in general on both sides. Seemed like each time a flag was thrown they all looked at each other as if they were all looking for help from each other. And I know Oak Ridge does not hand pick these either, they are assigned by someone else. Just like at Maryville.

Yeah I saw the touchdown play, it looked like a chinese fire drill. Like you say every where you go there are bad calls by the officials. You guys didn't have to worry too much about bad calls as we were getting all the flags and we deserved them. Didn't see the horse collar but if it happened it should have been called.

Hope the young man isn't hurt too bad, we get awfully intense sometimes and forget the most important thing is no injuries. Glad to have you folks over to Oak Ridge and am looking forward to coming to Maryville next year. Wait.... Maybe the playoffs this year.

Yeah I saw the touchdown play, it looked like a chinese fire drill. Like you say every where you go there are bad calls by the officials. You guys didn't have to worry too much about bad calls as we were getting all the flags and we deserved them. Didn't see the horse collar but if it happened it should have been called.

Hope the young man isn't hurt too bad, we get awfully intense sometimes and forget the most important thing is no injuries. Glad to have you folks over to Oak Ridge and am looking forward to coming to Maryville next year. Wait.... Maybe the playoffs this year.

yeah mhs, i live in maryville, although i am a oak ridge grad.. and i get sick and tired of hearing alcoa fans, and others, not just them saying maryville pays off refs, that is just absolutely the dumbest thing i have ever heard... i agree with you though, i thought the horse collar shoulda been called (althoi think that is a stupid penalty), but thats beside the point... it is one and shoulda been called... i thought the guy earlier was implying that oak ridge is a dirty team? i was like what? lol i just saw a tough hard hitting game was all i saw... and i agree with you, the refs were kindadumbfounded the whole game it seemed like, weird.

Yeah like I said they spread it around to both sides lol. Sometimes things like horse collars and the like happen. A kid has a split second to determine how to get a guy stopped. It happens. Your kids brought the wood for sure. I am sure the Maryville kid who got lit up on the kickoff return felt it a bit this morning. A very hard but very clean hit. I enjoyed coming to Oak Ridge. Believe it or not, I did a short stint at WATO Radio back in the late 70s, and have always liked the town. Haven't been back much and I must say the Turnpike looks quite a bit different than it did 30 years ago. Good luck to you guys the rest of the season. Good to see Coach Hale again also. He did a brief stint in Maryville around 20 years ago and I went to church with him for a couple of years. Lot of respect for that guy!

I haven't seen him enough to say whether he's dirty or just doesn't know to stop when the whistle blows, but #6 had about a half dozen late hits during the game. That jumping on the pile mess got one of our players hurt. I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt, but at a certain point enough is enough.

Yeah like I said they spread it around to both sides lol. Sometimes things like horse collars and the like happen. A kid has a split second to determine how to get a guy stopped. It happens. Your kids brought the wood for sure. I am sure the Maryville kid who got lit up on the kickoff return felt it a bit this morning. A very hard but very clean hit. I enjoyed coming to Oak Ridge. Believe it or not, I did a short stint at WATO Radio back in the late 70s, and have always liked the town. Haven't been back much and I must say the Turnpike looks quite a bit different than it did 30 years ago. Good luck to you guys the rest of the season. Good to see Coach Hale again also. He did a brief stint in Maryville around 20 years ago and I went to church with him for a couple of years. Lot of respect for that guy!

good ol emory... boy , he had some great teams in the 70,s and in 80... couple of top 10 nationally ranked teams... yeah, he is a great guy from what i have heard... although i am too young to remember him... joe gaddis is the guy i grew up admiring haha

Hmmm... Did you see any bad calls that went Maryville's way?

I haven't seen him enough to say whether he's dirty or just doesn't know to stop when the whistle blows, but #6 had about a half dozen late hits during the game. That jumping on the pile mess got one of our players hurt. I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt, but at a certain point enough is enough.

Ok.. Did you see any bad calls that went Maryville's way? I just checked the score of the game.. It sure did not look like home cooking to me...