McMinn Central! What does it take to make a sucessful Football program

SAGINAWFAN

Some great comments men, this is the kind of positive energy we need to endure week after week even beyond the football "playing" season. Community spirit is what it's going to take to propel and sustain the program. We need not waste time and energy pointing fingers and pasting blame. If we (the community) would promote our program the kids would want to play. Also, it's important that the coaching staffs from all the sports work togather and not against each other. I know for a fact kids are encourage or should I say persuaded to stay in one sport. This goes for the football coaches too. If a kid want to play football and baseball, Goodin and Hart should be ok with this and even make provisions for a kid to do both (I use Goodin and Hart as an example only). The AD should be the first one to make sure we allow and encourage kids to be involved in as many sports as they can handle and still do well in their studies. Kids involved in sports learn so much more about the battles of life than those who aren't involved.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great comments men, this is the kind of positive energy we need to endure week after week even beyond the football "playing" season. Community spirit is what it's going to take to propel and sustain the program. We need not waste time and energy pointing fingers and pasting blame. If we (the community) would promote our program the kids would want to play. Also, it's important that the coaching staffs from all the sports work togather and not against each other. I know for a fact kids are encourage or should I say persuaded to stay in one sport. This goes for the football coaches too. If a kid want to play football and baseball, Goodin and Hart should be ok with this and even make provisions for a kid to do both (I use Goodin and Hart as an example only). The AD should be the first one to make sure we allow and encourage kids to be involved in as many sports as they can handle and still do well in their studies. Kids involved in sports learn so much more about the battles of life than those who aren't involved.

please dont take this the wrong way beacuase i agree with everything that is being said but alot of these things are out of coaches control. what are the short term and long term solutions that he has direct control over. I believe all these things like teaching kids to be respectful and good men are important but cant we do that and have success on the field. Last time I checked Polk Co. has great kids and they still win. Is their family and community better than ours?

please dont take this the wrong way beacuase i agree with everything that is being said but alot of these things are out of coaches control. what are the short term and long term solutions that he has direct control over. I believe all these things like teaching kids to be respectful and good men are important but cant we do that and have success on the field. Last time I checked Polk Co. has great kids and they still win. Is their family and community better than ours?

So many short term needed goals are out of our control. We cannot have a middle school program because it does not exist. Warhorse had a great idea on putting our junior teams together, but to do that other communities must be willing to do this too. I wanted it to be known in my post earlier, that if these things come to pass, the kids will want to be a part of it. We must also let the kids know that if they want to enjoy two or more sports they can. Basketball is starting soon for a lot of these boys playing on the juniors 7th and 8th. Most of these boys have been playing football since the mid or end of July. Something needs to be done with the schools either pushing the County basketball season back somewhat or football coaches need to make provisions to the kids for that want to play basketball. I prefer the first as to the later. This is not because the boys do not enjoy football, just they do not want to lose what they have in basketball. We could help show the kids it is OK to play more than one sport by doing this.

So many short term needed goals are out of our control. We cannot have a middle school program because it does not exist. Warhorse had a great idea on putting our junior teams together, but to do that other communities must be willing to do this too.

Grundy has 6 or 8 very small elementary schools and they work together to have a "junior jacket" middle-school age football team. They currently are one of the two best teams in the district that includes South Pittsburg and Rhea County schools. If those communities can get it together, putting aside any differences, you all ought to be able to also.

I don't believe their community is any better than ours, but in a way I feel that they are a little harder working. It would be interesting to have a poll of how many Polk Co. football players have summer jobs (haulin hay, saw-millin, farmin, etc.) I believe the boys in our area are a little pampered. Yea there are some that work hard, but they don't play football...IMO that is the difference in our communities.

The only sustained success in the history of Central football was in the 70s when players were going to Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, etc.... i would like to know the overall win/loss record for central since the school began. This is just my opinion but I think that the main issue hurting MC football is getting the best athletes in the school to play football and get them excited about playing football. the last 12-15 years Central has never had a lack of athletes on the baseball field and basketball court... im talking about guys in the 6'0 to 6'3 range that can run. Also, the talent pool across the board in all sports is way down by central standards. I wish the coaching staff well because they are good people and are dedicated to the school, the program, and the community, but they are and likely always will be fighting an uphill battle.

Pummel i have no clue where your jealousy comes from. Apparently you feel like the wrestling program is getting the short end of the stick from someone. I dont think its the administrations fault when the coach cant get his team to a match because he doesn't know where the school is...... or have referees for matches.... you are a fool and part of the problem not part of the solution

Bambi,

There is no jealousy at all. Total fairness for all sports is what is desired. The coach Im sure has sum serious problems with the areas that you mentioned. It does fall back on the admin when things are handled like they are considering all sports compaired to the all mighty BB. Which the AD happens to be head coach of. This is my perspective and Im stickiing to it.

Regarding all the other info you are correct Central does have athletes at the school and should be pushed towards making the school a better place tobe for all athletes and students.

Bambi,

There is no jealousy at all. Total fairness for all sports is what is desired. The coach Im sure has sum serious problems with the areas that you mentioned. It does fall back on the admin when things are handled like they are considering all sports compaired to the all mighty BB. Which the AD happens to be head coach of. This is my perspective and Im stickiing to it.

Regarding all the other info you are correct Central does have athletes at the school and should be pushed towards making the school a better place tobe for all athletes and students.

So many short term needed goals are out of our control. We cannot have a middle school program because it does not exist. Warhorse had a great idea on putting our junior teams together, but to do that other communities must be willing to do this too. I wanted it to be known in my post earlier, that if these things come to pass, the kids will want to be a part of it. We must also let the kids know that if they want to enjoy two or more sports they can. Basketball is starting soon for a lot of these boys playing on the juniors 7th and 8th. Most of these boys have been playing football since the mid or end of July. Something needs to be done with the schools either pushing the County basketball season back somewhat or football coaches need to make provisions to the kids for that want to play basketball. I prefer the first as to the later. This is not because the boys do not enjoy football, just they do not want to lose what they have in basketball. We could help show the kids it is OK to play more than one sport by doing this.

Do you all think there's not enough encouragement to play more than 1 sport over there, or too much wanting single-sport specialization. I remember a boys' basketball player about 5 years ago, can't remember his name, but thought he had the size and quickness to be a Division 1-A type receiver. Probably 6'4" 200 and could jump and run. I know the girls' basketball had a few play volleyball and they made that team competitive even though likely few if any played club/travel volleyball the way most of the good players in Chattanooga do. McMinn Cent isn't a small school, maybe 800, but they're not huge either and more playing multiple sports would aid your whole program.