Why are kids from Maury Co. playing at Brentwood High?

nrgrizzlies

I just saw an article in the Tennessean that mentioned a current BHS player living in Spring Hill as well as a top former player from there.

How is this allowed? That's not even the same county.

Spring Hill is also in Williamson County. Most of the people in that area live on the Williamson County side of Spring Hill and that is the reason the new Summitt high school was built. I would venture to say those students are from Williamson County.

Spring Hill is also in Williamson County. Most of the people in that area live on the Williamson County side of Spring Hill and that is the reason the new Summitt high school was built. I would venture to say those students are from Williamson County.

If they are in that part of Williamson, shouldn't they be at Indy???

If they are in that part of Williamson, shouldn't they be at Indy???

There are lots of ways to go to schools that one is not zoned for legally. Take a class that one school offers that the zoned school does not. Apply and recieve a special transfer for a number of reasons. Also, you can pay out of county tuition to go to other schools in a different county than the one where you reside.

There are lots of ways to go to schools that one is not zoned for legally. Take a class that one school offers that the zoned school does not. Apply and recieve a special transfer for a number of reasons. Also, you can pay out of county tuition to go to other schools in a different county than the one where you reside.

Doesn't the TSSAA object to this? They have a million rules.

I can see if a kid is serious about, let's say, singing and doesn't want to sing Disney cartoon movie songs in the chorus at Smyrna and is willing to pay to attend, for example - Ravenwood....but how would a person be eligible for TSSAA sanctioned sports at a public school nowhere near where they live?

Edited by nrgrizzlies

The child in question Parent 'may' work at Brentwood, so 'something' may have been worked out so it is Kosher.

Paper should get ALL its facts before publishing anything. Unfortunately 'Pravda on the Cumberland' seems to forget that alot.

I have not read the article but I am guessing that the player in question is one of the Coffee kids. If this is the case then the dad, Otis Coffee is the SRO officer at Brentwood High School which makes it legal for them to attend.

Doesn't the TSSAA object to this? They have a million rules.

I can see if a kid is serious about, let's say, singing and doesn't want to sing Disney cartoon movie songs in the chorus at Smyrna and is willing to pay to attend, for example - Ravenwood....but how would a person be eligible for TSSAA sanctioned sports at a public school nowhere near where they live?

That right there is funny... :roflol:

Let's get down to business - to defeat the Huns

Did they send me daughters when I asked for sons?

You're the saddest bunch I've ever met

But you can bet before we're through

Mister, I'll make a man out of you

The child in question Parent 'may' work at Brentwood, so 'something' may have been worked out so it is Kosher.

Paper should get ALL its facts before publishing anything. Unfortunately 'Pravda on the Cumberland' seems to forget that alot.

The child who I suspect is in question(actually children) have fathers who work at Brentwood High School. The county allows kids of faculty members to follow their parents. This would apply if a kid zoned for Brentwood had a parent working at Franklin and they attended Franklin.

Edited by lbhiii

The child who I suspect is in question(actually children) have fathers who work at Brentwood High School. The county allows kids of faculty members to follow their parents. This would apply if a kid zoned for Brentwood had a parent working at Franklin and they attended Franklin.

P.S. lots of kids try to go to Brentwood because of something else: Its called academics. BHS is the top ranked non-magnet high school in the state. 2 years ago, there were 11 National Merit Finalists in the Senior class and the average ACT score was around 26.