Blocking sled

pigskin

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greenfield head coach sold are only blocking sled for scrap iron, he says we don't need one. But no one knows how to block. Any body else prcticing without blocking sleds?

Them old fellers sez they wuz hittin' telephone poles afore they wuz blockin' sleds. :thumb: Now all they's care about is Murphy's pole. :roflolk:

The Troll figgers the sled don't do squat to teach them fellers proper blockin' technique, just builds strength and teaches 'em to keep drivin' thru the block. Lots o' ways to build strength. Technique comes from good coachin' and line'n up cross from one another.

smiley-gen163.gif

Edited by MountainTroll

Them old fellers sez they wuz hittin' telephone poles afore they wuz blockin' sleds. :thumb: Now all they's care about is Murphy's pole. :roflolk:

The Troll figgers the sled don't do squat to teach them fellers proper blockin' technique, just builds strength and teaches 'em to keep drivin' thru the block. Lots o' ways to build strength. Technique comes from good coachin' and line'n up cross from one another.

smiley-gen163.gif

I guess thats are problem ( GOOD COACHING )

I wish Grider would make our boys push that sled around. Everytime I drive by that practice field that sled is parked in the same place.

When I played our coach used it as his own personal cab, we pushed him everywhere he went on the field, shoot until we played that first game my freshmen year I did no if the man could even walk.

Greenfield head coach sold are only blocking sled for scrap iron, he says we don't need one. But no one knows how to block. Any body else prcticing without blocking sleds?

With the changing of the blocking rules in the early 1990's, the blocking sleds (2 and 7 man) and the blocking chutes have lost most of their utility. These aides were to teach offensive linemen to come out low and fast, to keep the back straight, to stay low and get leverage and to keep the feet driving tghrogh the opponent. Today, with "blocking" replaced by "showing," these principles do not apply. There is no need to get low, no need to drive through the opponent, just grab and control him at arm's length. The sleds may have more useefulness for defensive coaches attempting to teach forearm shivers and shedding blocks. Coaches and fans do not appreciate the changes brought about to football at all levels by the new blocking rules of t he 1990s. The subject would require pages, but et it be said that the spread formations we have today would n ot be possible without allowing blockers to put their hands on defenders on every play.

With the changing of the blocking rules in the early 1990's, the blocking sleds (2 and 7 man) and the blocking chutes have lost most of their utility. These aides were to teach offensive linemen to come out low and fast, to keep the back straight, to stay low and get leverage and to keep the feet driving tghrogh the opponent. Today, with "blocking" replaced by "showing," these principles do not apply. There is no need to get low, no need to drive through the opponent, just grab and control him at arm's length. The sleds may have more useefulness for defensive coaches attempting to teach forearm shivers and shedding blocks. Coaches and fans do not appreciate the changes brought about to football at all levels by the new blocking rules of t he 1990s. The subject would require pages, but et it be said that the spread formations we have today would n ot be possible without allowing blockers to put their hands on defenders on every play.

What do you mean blocking rules have changed? Your joking. I garuntee you that if you aren't doing side body blocks, you are blocking wrong. The side body block is the best way to knock a hole for your runners to run through. You think im joking but im not.

Now I Have Watched Alot Of Football Over The Years...And I Have Seen Alot Of Blocking Schemes...True It's Good To Know How To Come Out Low And Explode....But Nothing Works Better Than Sticking To Your Assignments....

Now Here It Is....If Ya Supposed To Hit The Guard On Your Assignment....Kill Em.

Don't Get Caught Up In "Where's The Ball Carrier?"

"And Can I Stop the Runner?" Do Your Job! And Everything Will Take Care Of Itself.

Like This Year I Watched Cascade Play South Pittsburg...The Cascade Defense Gave South Pitt Fits Up Til The Half...South Pitt Caught And Interception And On The Next Play The Linebackers Over Pursued And The Blocking Assignments Went Out The Window...End Result...It Wasn't Pretty...South Pitt Won In A Landslide....The Sled Was Probably Worn Out Just Like Your Coach...Get Disciplined On Who Your Supposed To Hit And Stick His Arse...Make Sure Your Man Aint Involved On The Play! :twisted:

Now I Have Watched Alot Of Football Over The Years...And I Have Seen Alot Of Blocking Schemes...True It's Good To Know How To Come Out Low And Explode....But Nothing Works Better Than Sticking To Your Assignments....

Now Here It Is....If Ya Supposed To Hit The Guard On Your Assignment....Kill Em.

Don't Get Caught Up In "Where's The Ball Carrier?"

"And Can I Stop the Runner?" Do Your Job! And Everything Will Take Care Of Itself.

Like This Year I Watched Cascade Play South Pittsburg...The Cascade Defense Gave South Pitt Fits Up Til The Half...South Pitt Caught And Interception And On The Next Play The Linebackers Over Pursued And The Blocking Assignments Went Out The Window...End Result...It Wasn't Pretty...South Pitt Won In A Landslide....The Sled Was Probably Worn Out Just Like Your Coach...Get Disciplined On Who Your Supposed To Hit And Stick His Arse...Make Sure Your Man Aint Involved On The Play! :twisted:

:thumb: , Butchie.

But the Troll figgered you'd have sompthin' to say 'bout poles. Ya Hoser! :roflolk:

This coming from someone who was a lineman and has coached line,and from a team who usually has undersized linemen(Greenback),the blocking sled is a very valuable piece of equipment,yes i love the board and one on one battles but the conditioning lineman get from the sled is so much better than any other conditioning not the same on a one or two man sled,plus teaches teamwork,and the"new"blocking rules can still be learned from the sled,facemask,punch,extend,if you dont do it right the sled wont move neither will your opponent,i dont know about your football but if you dont get low and chop them feet you dont get the push needed to run the ball.A practice field without a five man sled just dont look like a football field!