Anderson County defeats Farragut

K2ruth

Good post Bigfoot!

My biggest gripe against Orcat is the negative attitude towards the other programs, which begins with the coach. It was no secret that Smokey Mountain Juniors did not support the local high school teams. In fact, the main reason for the split was the lack of respect shown to the areas best high school coaches.

Oak Ridge WAS a top tier program under coach Smith. CF is now seeing that running a high school team is much harder than coaching a club of all-stars.

Looking back at BFs post, and this topic, I agree and disagree. Karns and Bearden are hot teams this year, and last. Can they sustain it?

At AC their trophy case is filled with championships. According to the information given out by the school it opened in 1982 (28 years ago) and has been to 18 state tournaments. They have produced almost 60 all-state players, almost all of whom went on to play in college. There coaching staff (except for the male coach) all played at AC. Last night was the 50th time AC and Farragut played and Farragut has only beaten AC 12 times, and they are the only school in the state to win at least 10 times against AC.

Say what you will, but both AC and Farragut have shown that they can stay at the top for decades. Oak Ridge has not.

Next year if Karns can win the Region when they don't have the tallest, and best players then they can enter the discussion. This seems to be their year, and it should be. They have the most talent. Can they win when they don't?

Farragut wins because they have a large pool of club players to draw from. AC because they have a great coaching staff and a system that breeds champions. Oak Ridge has neither. The best athletes play other sports, and their coach is middle of the road at best.

If Karns can follow the AC model of being at the top every year, and not just when they have a stacked team, in 10 years they may be in the discussion.

Its easy to win when you have the best talent. In fact, if Karns doesn't win it all this year then I would label the season a dissapointment. AC believes they can win every year, and they don't seem to care which 6 they put on the floor. After watching them fight for 2 hours last night in a match they should have lost, they are the last team I would want to play in an elimination game.

You must be speaking of district or regional when you use the term championship. They have only one championship in volleyball ever. :D