6A Playoff Watch Thread

Solomon

This is why as a Blackman fan I want someone from the West to make the playoffs that isn't currently in. So it will push 1 of these teams (Probably Oakland imo) to Quad 2. This would even out quads a little bit.

Kreager from the DNJ did one of those "if the playoffs started today" type of things tuesday and it had Oakland and Riverdale in quad two and Smyrna and Blackman in Quad three. So there is a possibility that could happen.

Here's my predicted 32 after week 8 with projected records -

DB 10-0

Science Hill 6-4

Jeff Co 5-5

Sevier Co 7-3

Hardin Valley 7-3

Oak Ridge 6-4

Maryville 9-1

Farragut 6-4

Bearden 8-2

Bradley Central 8-2

Soddy Daisy 6-4

Cookeville 8-2

Oakland 9-1

Smyrna 8-2

Blackman 9-1

Riverdale 7-3

Franklin Co. 5-5

Mt. Juliet 8-2

Dickson Co. 9-1

Franklin 9-1

Brentwood 7-3

McGavock 7-3

Antioch 5-5

Overton 8-2

Brighton 9-1

Arlington 8-2

Cordova 5-5

Wooddale 6-4

Collierville 7-3

Houston 5-5

Germantown 6-4

Whitehaven 8-2

A few notes -

1. I don't think any losing records will make it in. This is different from last week.

2. District 6 and 8 are going to play it out the next two weeks. Right now teams in Memphis should probably be a White Co. fan to win their last 2 and get that guaranteed #2 seed in District 6 in 5A (assuming a miracle doesn't happen and Coffee Co. beats Cookeville).

3. District 8 is just a flat-out mess. Franklin Co. should beat Coffee Co. and a 5-5 record should get them in (if they lose to CC this might get REAL fun). Lincoln Co. needs to win out. It's possible that every team in the district could go 3-2 or 2-3 or Franklin Co. goes 1-4 and gets in finishing last in the district (is there not a rule against this?)

4. Shelbyville, a 5A school, may end up determining who gets in the 6A playoffs by how they finish out. How messed up is this system?

5. Can Siegel beat Tullahoma? I say no, but if they do then throw another probable 5-5 team into this mix. 7AAA probably deserves 5 of its 6 teams getting in though.

6. Lebanaon is yet another potential 5-5 team. Gallatin - please just beat them and make this easier.

7. Looking back over this, I feel less confident that Antioch beats McGavock than I did when I started this. All the other 5-5 schools should wear McGavock colors to school Friday.

8. District 15....yeah....you guys have fun sorting this out. That's an even bigger mess than District 8.

I'm sure there are some errors in this. Just a fun-natured guess at the 32. Divy the quads up how you see fit. And no, I've not looked at the T$$AA's chart and tie-breaker system yet. I'm hoping Jeff Co. has to play a Memphis team in Nashville for the 10-yard overtime rules on the Monday to decide who makes it.

East Tenn may be wide open, but I would much rather see a West vs. Middle match up in the 6A state title game... Something like District 16 vs. District 7 would be quite interesting in Cookeville aka Cookevegas :)

I think you will see District 7 vs. District 7 in the Championship game, shame it must be played in Cookeville.

I would think Riverdale and Oakland would be the 2 teams from Rutherford County just due to geography? Riverdale is the furthest South and Oakland is further South and West than any other Rutherford county school I believe.

Come on, Oakland West? Get out a map. Oakland is the farthest east school in the county, and farther North than Riverdale and Blackman, almost Siegel, but not quite. Anyway, you will see OHS and RHS go east and BHS and SHS go west I think.

Edited by randymc

I think you will see District 7 vs. District 7 in the Championship game, shame it must be played in Cookeville.

Come on, Oakland West? Get out a map. Oakland is the farthest east school in the county, and farther North than Riverdale and Blackman, almost Siegel, but not quite. Anyway, you will see OHS and RHS go east and BHS and SHS go west I think.

My bad, I meant East.

Why is it in cookeville this year? thats a bummer.

But i very well think with the power coming out of district 7. that its very possible that oakland and smyrna could end up playing eachother..not only for district in week 10 but for state in week 15...but then again it could be any on the district 7 teams..

http://www.tssaa.org/footballplayoffs/wildcard.cfm?class=6A

I would like to give my Quad 4 projections off of what I see in the above link and off of what I know about Districts 14, 15 and 16...

Who's IN: (as far as I can tell)

Whitehaven, Arlington, Brighton.

Who's on the Bubble:G-Town, Collierville, Wooddale, Houston, White Station, Cordova, Southwind, Millington.

District 15 looks like it will go down to the wire... District 14 seems a bit clearer. These next two weeks in the Memphis-Shelby Metro area will be very interesting! :thumb:

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

Here's my predicted 32 after week 8 with projected records -

DB 10-0

Science Hill 6-4

Jeff Co 5-5

Sevier Co 7-3

Hardin Valley 7-3

Oak Ridge 6-4

Maryville 9-1

Farragut 6-4

Bearden 8-2

Bradley Central 8-2

Soddy Daisy 6-4

Cookeville 8-2

Oakland 9-1

Smyrna 8-2

Blackman 9-1

Riverdale 7-3

Franklin Co. 5-5

Mt. Juliet 8-2

Dickson Co. 9-1

Franklin 9-1

Brentwood 7-3

McGavock 7-3

Antioch 5-5

Overton 8-2

Brighton 9-1

Arlington 8-2

Cordova 5-5

Wooddale 6-4

Collierville 7-3

Houston 5-5

Germantown 6-4

Whitehaven 8-2

A few notes -

1. I don't think any losing records will make it in. This is different from last week.

2. District 6 and 8 are going to play it out the next two weeks. Right now teams in Memphis should probably be a White Co. fan to win their last 2 and get that guaranteed #2 seed in District 6 in 5A (assuming a miracle doesn't happen and Coffee Co. beats Cookeville).

3. District 8 is just a flat-out mess. Franklin Co. should beat Coffee Co. and a 5-5 record should get them in (if they lose to CC this might get REAL fun). Lincoln Co. needs to win out. It's possible that every team in the district could go 3-2 or 2-3 or Franklin Co. goes 1-4 and gets in finishing last in the district (is there not a rule against this?)

4. Shelbyville, a 5A school, may end up determining who gets in the 6A playoffs by how they finish out. How messed up is this system?

5. Can Siegel beat Tullahoma? I say no, but if they do then throw another probable 5-5 team into this mix. 7AAA probably deserves 5 of its 6 teams getting in though.

6. Lebanaon is yet another potential 5-5 team. Gallatin - please just beat them and make this easier.

7. Looking back over this, I feel less confident that Antioch beats McGavock than I did when I started this. All the other 5-5 schools should wear McGavock colors to school Friday.

8. District 15....yeah....you guys have fun sorting this out. That's an even bigger mess than District 8.

I'm sure there are some errors in this. Just a fun-natured guess at the 32. Divy the quads up how you see fit. And no, I've not looked at the T$$AA's chart and tie-breaker system yet. I'm hoping Jeff Co. has to play a Memphis team in Nashville for the 10-yard overtime rules on the Monday to decide who makes it.

I agree this system is so messed up. Why not go back to the old system I for one will not understand. I have looked at some other things that are MESSED up with the 6A bracket. If the T$$AA is going to put schools in districts and then break them out to 6 classes then wins vs. lower classes should not count as much as wins vs. higher or the same class. Just looking at 6A:

Oakland's win vs. Ensworth rates the same as all of these Brighton over MAHS (A school) Dickson County over Creekwood (3A) Franklin over Fairley (4A)

I'm not picking on these teams but All of them could be 9-1 or if Smyrna beats Oakland then they could go to 8-2 and not be seated as high as a team with wins over smaller classes.

The system will make it hard to get a schedule as no one will want to play good competition outside of their district.

I've said before that Brighton and Dickson County could get a #1 seed in the 6A playoffs and have only beaten ONE 6A team.

Once again I'm not picking on those schools, but 7AAA plays good competition outside of their TOUGH district and gets hurt for it. Something is wrong!!!

Here's my current guess at the 32 who make it in from east to west based on where they are and who they have left to play.

DB

Science Hill

Jeff Co

Sevier Co

Hardin Valley

Oak Ridge

Maryville

Farragut

Bearden

Bradley Central

Soddy Daisy

Cookeville

Warren Co.

Oakland

Smyrna

Blackman

Riverdale

Franklin Co.

Mt. Juliet

Dickson Co.

Franklin

Brentwood

McGavock

Antioch

Overton

Brighton

Arlington

Millington

Wooddale

Collierville

Germantown

Whitehaven

I could also see Rhea Co, Siegel, Lebanon, Ravenwood, Cordova, White Station (how crazy would that be if they missed the playoffs?) and Central getting in if things played out a certain way. 6A could possibly have a 4-6 team get in, and I expect two or three 5-5 teams to get in.

An East TN team is going west (Maryville, Farragut, or Oak Ridge if they go geography and I don't see how it's not Maryville), and a middle TN team is going west, IMO Dickson Co. I'll just be interested to see who they send east out of District 7 and who they send west.

how do you like indys chances if they go 4-6 knowing there tough schedule?

I agree this system is so messed up. Why not go back to the old system I for one will not understand. I have looked at some other things that are MESSED up with the 6A bracket. If the T$$AA is going to put schools in districts and then break them out to 6 classes then wins vs. lower classes should not count as much as wins vs. higher or the same class. Just looking at 6A:

Oakland's win vs. Ensworth rates the same as all of these Brighton over MAHS (A school) Dickson County over Creekwood (3A) Franklin over Fairley (4A)

I'm not picking on these teams but All of them could be 9-1 or if Smyrna beats Oakland then they could go to 8-2 and not be seated as high as a team with wins over smaller classes.

The system will make it hard to get a schedule as no one will want to play good competition outside of their district.

I've said before that Brighton and Dickson County could get a #1 seed in the 6A playoffs and have only beaten ONE 6A team.

Once again I'm not picking on those schools, but 7AAA plays good competition outside of their TOUGH district and gets hurt for it. Something is wrong!!!

Wins over 5a and 6a opponents are viewed the same. They are all AAA wins. The TSSAA looks at wins over 1a, 2a, or 3a. Not the sub classes. Those teams can not help they are placed in predominantly 5a districts.

Edited by sled78