D2-A 2010 Enrollments

D2A

http://www.tssaa.org/newenrollments.cfm

The TSSAA released the new enrollment numbers. Ive heard that St. Andrews Sewanee has dropped out and decided to go to 8 man football.

East/Middle

Webb- 465

DCA- 269

FRA- 255

EH- 248

Davidson- 228

MJCA- 121

Zion- 120

Riverside- 78

Side note, Webb is bigger then BGA, Brentwood Academy and Ensworth..all of whom choose to play up. Wonder if they would be 18-1 over the last 2 years playing with those guys?

West

ECS-436

St. George's-366

USJ-348

Harding-347

SBEC-331

FACS-304

JCS-285

Fayette-260

Rosemark-203

Bishop Byrne-141

Rossville-126

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Side note, Webb is bigger then BGA, Brentwood Academy and Ensworth..all of whom choose to play up. Wonder if they would be 18-1 over the last 2 years playing with those guys?...

I understand your point but would anybody be 18-1 against those guys? I think most people would probably say no.

At any rate, since your talking about Webb, in 2007 and 2008 they were classified with the current DII-AA and had a combined 5-7 record against them. It's hard to say how they would have fared the past two years but I would be willing to say that last year's team could have competed with any of them. I'm certainly not saying they would beat them all, but they would win their fair share.

Last year's team had 18 seniors plus some very good underclassmen who make the nucleus of this year's team. There's really no way to know for sure, but last year's team was considerably better than the 2008 team and equal to or slightly better than the 2007 team that went 4-2 against current DII-AA competition.

This year's team is very good. They have demonstrated that by soundly beating everyone (except FRA who gave them one heck of a game) including the #1 ranked 5A school in the state at the time they played in Knoxville Catholic (33-7). It will come down to the last two games of the regular season and playoffs to see if they can repeat the dominate performance they showed last year at the end of the year.

One thing about the enrollment numbers... Webb dresses around 35-40 players each week depending on injuries etc. Many of their athletes play multiple sports and I can easily say that the majority of the boys in their student body (9th-12th grades) do not play any of the 3 major sports so you're looking at a pool of about 55-60 boys who make up the entire rosters for all 3 sports. That's just over a 20% participation rate, which is probably in line with the other DII-A schools.

http://www.tssaa.org/newenrollments.cfm

Side note, Webb is bigger then BGA, Brentwood Academy and Ensworth..all of whom choose to play up. Wonder if they would be 18-1 over the last 2 years playing with those guys?

Here's the main take away from this sentence: all of whom CHOOSE to play up.....Webb is where they are supposed to be with their enrollment. Until TSSAA changes the break, they are doing absolutely nothing wrong by playing in "A" division.

I understand your point but would anybody be 18-1 against those guys? I think most people would probably say no.

At any rate, since your talking about Webb, in 2007 and 2008 they were classified with the current DII-AA and had a combined 5-7 record against them. It's hard to say how they would have fared the past two years but I would be willing to say that last year's team could have competed with any of them. I'm certainly not saying they would beat them all, but they would win their fair share.

Last year's team had 18 seniors plus some very good underclassmen who make the nucleus of this year's team. There's really no way to know for sure, but last year's team was considerably better than the 2008 team and equal to or slightly better than the 2007 team that went 4-2 against current DII-AA competition.

This year's team is very good. They have demonstrated that by soundly beating everyone (except FRA who gave them one heck of a game) including the #1 ranked 5A school in the state at the time they played in Knoxville Catholic (33-7). It will come down to the last two games of the regular season and playoffs to see if they can repeat the dominate performance they showed last year at the end of the year.

One thing about the enrollment numbers... Webb dresses around 35-40 players each week depending on injuries etc. Many of their athletes play multiple sports and I can easily say that the majority of the boys in their student body (9th-12th grades) do not play any of the 3 major sports so you're looking at a pool of about 55-60 boys who make up the entire rosters for all 3 sports. That's just over a 20% participation rate, which is probably in line with the other DII-A schools.

I agree with you about Webb being a heck of a team. I also agree that they could compete very well in AA. I more blame TSSAA for grouping Webb in a region where they are 2 times the size of the next biggest school. As far as the pool of talent being similar to the others, thats just not true. No matter how you twist it, a school with 465 kids has a bigger pool then the schools within the mid-200s like most of their region foes. Last year i saw Zion Christian School dress 24 kids. SAS dressed 19. Again, i dont think Webb is doing anything WRONG, i do think it is a bit of a coward move though.

There's probably no way ever to quantify it, but the enrollment only gives you a partial picture of the situation. Ensworth, BA, and MBA have relatively modest enrollments. But look at the facilities: they rival(and sometimes eclipse) small colleges. Consider the size of the coaching staff, and look at what might be termed "institutional commitment." MBA currently fields 6 teams, and while MBA supports and takes pride in all of its atheltic programs, you only need to spend 15 minutes or so on campus to get the idea that football is clearly the flagship; everything else is there to keep the boys occupied until fall returns.

...Again, i dont think Webb is doing anything WRONG, i do think it is a bit of a coward move though...

Webb is a lot of things... coward is not one of them. Over the years Webb has scheduled many schools that have double and triple their enrollment. Go check their schedule for the past 10 years and you will find out of region public schools that range from 3A power Alcoa to 6A Bearden. By the way they have a 16-game winning streak against Knox County area public schools that includes Bearden, Powell, West, Austin-East, Halls and Central.

So tell me D2A, you're the czar of DII... where do you draw the cutoff line between the two divisions?

Webb is a lot of things... coward is not one of them. Over the years Webb has scheduled many schools that have double and triple their enrollment. Go check their schedule for the past 10 years and you will find out of region public schools that range from 3A power Alcoa to 6A Bearden. By the way they have a 16-game winning streak against Knox County area public schools that includes Bearden, Powell, West, Austin-East, Halls and Central.

So tell me D2A, you're the czar of DII... where do you draw the cutoff line between the two divisions?

If your dominating a smaller division then move up. It's that simple. No team in DII-aa will ever truly "dominate" unless you get a class like MUS's 2010 boys. They had numerous DI athletes on the field and every starter was a good if not great high school football player.

If Webb is so brave to go out and schedule non region games that mean nothing, then why not play in a class that has schools equal to your own size?

I never claimed to be a czar of anything. All i did was post some facts and gave an opinion. So you tell me, powersweep, is it fair to the 7 other east/middle schools that they have to play as region opponent that is 1,2,3 and even 4 times the size of them?

If your dominating a smaller division then move up. It's that simple. No team in DII-aa will ever truly "dominate" unless you get a class like MUS's 2010 boys. They had numerous DI athletes on the field and every starter was a good if not great high school football player.

Webb has always played in the division they are classified for and I would expect they will continue to do so. This is the second year they have played in this classification so it remains to be seen if they dominate for years to come. As for last year, I'm just stating the facts, they did dominate the teams they played in the playoffs and championship game.

If Webb is so brave to go out and schedule non region games that mean nothing, then why not play in a class that has schools equal to your own size?

I never claimed to be a czar of anything. All i did was post some facts and gave an opinion. So you tell me, powersweep, is it fair to the 7 other east/middle schools that they have to play as region opponent that is 1,2,3 and even 4 times the size of them?

As I said previously, Webb has always played in the division they are classified in. The TSSAA makes the rules and Webb plays by them. If Webb wins the state championship again this year and the TSSAA decides to move them up, then so be it.

In fact, I actually preferred it when Webb played in the current DII-AA. I really enjoyed watching them compete against the likes of Baylor, McCallie, MBA, BGA etc. Webb didn't win all of those games but they competed against the very best.

I'm trying to understand exactly what facts you provided to make a relevant point... however I did hear your opinion which I took issue with. You never did answer my question about where you would draw the cutoff line between the two divisions.

I'll answer your question though... Is it fair? My answer is yes, it is what it is, the TSSAA decided how to divide the DII schools, not Webb. Webb no doubt benefitted from where the cutoff was made since it meant they wouldn't have to play against DII-AA schools. Even with the largest pool of boys to work with in DII-A, I still maintain their major sport participation percentage is less than the other DII-A schools. Facts are facts and Webb's student body has a very high percentage of non-athletes who go to school there for the drama, music, arts etc. programs. Webb's administration is committed to keeping Webb at the very top in providing a college prep education... that is by far the most important reason why the majority of families choose to send their children to Webb... not sports.

This isn't Upward football so we still keep score... somebody wins and somebody loses while the TSSAA is in charge. If that's not fair then you need to vent to the TSSAA.

As I said previously, Webb has always played in the division they are classified in. The TSSAA makes the rules and Webb plays by them. If Webb wins the state championship again this year and the TSSAA decides to move them up, then so be it.

In fact, I actually preferred it when Webb played in the current DII-AA. I really enjoyed watching them compete against the likes of Baylor, McCallie, MBA, BGA etc. Webb didn't win all of those games but they competed against the very best.

I'm trying to understand exactly what facts you provided to make a relevant point... however I did hear your opinion which I took issue with. You never did answer my question about where you would draw the cutoff line between the two divisions.

I'll answer your question though... Is it fair? My answer is yes, it is what it is, the TSSAA decided how to divide the DII schools, not Webb. Webb no doubt benefitted from where the cutoff was made since it meant they wouldn't have to play against DII-AA schools. Even with the largest pool of boys to work with in DII-A, I still maintain their major sport participation percentage is less than the other DII-A schools. Facts are facts and Webb's student body has a very high percentage of non-athletes who go to school there for the drama, music, arts etc. programs. Webb's administration is committed to keeping Webb at the very top in providing a college prep education... that is by far the most important reason why the majority of families choose to send their children to Webb... not sports.

This isn't Upward football so we still keep score... somebody wins and somebody loses while the TSSAA is in charge. If that's not fair then you need to vent to the TSSAA.

The same can be said about EVERY private school. The majority of kids in private schools are there for the education, not sports. You act like Webb is made of of mostly non athletes and other schools are not. You think kids are going to Riverside and Zion for the football teams? Basically every private schools student body is made up of kids that are there for reasons other then sports.

Oh and dont tell me where to vent too. Last time i checked, this is a message board and as long as i dont violate the TOS then i can say what I choose too. If you dont like it, then dont reply.

Have fun facing off next year against region foes like MJCA(pop.121), Zion(pop. 120) and Riverside(pop.78), while teams smaller then you, BGA, BA and Ensworth, compete against top competition week in and week out.