CPA's current record as example

ctf33

Let me start off by saying that this is not meant as a slam against CPA, they are a very good team and very well coached. I do feel that their current record does illustrate the point that many split supporters have addressed. CPA is currently 2 and 3 (losses to private schools USJ, Ezell, and Goodpasture and wins over public schools Jo byrns and G-Pittman). If the split were to happen CPA's problem could become the norm for many private schools. If all privates were forced to play each other then many teams who are perennial play off teams might become second tier division II teams. A common argument against the split is that it will water down competition and have too many championships. I feel that the problem is it will actually limit the number of possible championships that privates can win. Dropping that number from 4 of the possible 7 (DI-A, DI-AA, DII-SMALL,AND DII LARGE)to only a possible three.

I have also heard that it is Collinwood that is proposing the split to the TSSAA and that they seem to a the majority of A and AA football coaches on board.

Has anyone else heard of this? (I may be out of the loop!)

Posted by conway:

Last year private schools won 5 of the 8 state football championships. Three of course are built-in with Div II.

They will win 5 of the 8 this year as well. More than likely they are the favorites in each of the two divisions. If they do drop the privates they need to get rid of one of the public divisions making 4 or maybe 3 in total for division 1. They also won the 5 divisions they actually play in because they dont play in 3A, 4A, or 5A.

Dropping the numbers of divisions wold help witht he watering down of competition that many people speak of. The private schools have grown i think now and through no fault of their own "Outgrown" division 1 without it being unfair to them playin in 3a or 4a, which i still think they would comepete eventually. That would just be moving someone elses problem to another set of people.

Th sugestion i made i thought was a good one. 2 private divisions one for recruiting and one for non-recruiting. 3 public divisions with public schools only. Lastly a division that would be for anyone. The grand daddy championship of them all. The large schools or privates that are perennial best teams in the state.

Maryville

Brentwood Academy

MBA

Gallatin

Riverdale

Lincoln County

McCallie

Goodpasture

Tyner Academy

etc etc etc

I mean how many great games have we missed in the past because some of the teams wanted to play each other, but couldnt make it work. And the playoffs would be awesome and bring in the money. If you want to see what tennessee has to offer against out of state competition this would be great. I know it would never happen but i think the first two points are very important to avoid some really terrible team from winning a championship , which could happen.

Not Really. CPA and USJ would hardly be in the same region. Both would make the playoffs. The majority of PRivate schools are not winning state championships. The ones who make the playoffs still would. USJ has made alot of playoffs but has never won the championship. They have by the way lost to a public school in every case but one.

If the Privates were to break away from the TSSAA, it is unlikely any of the existing TSSAA schools would be allowed to schedule them. Thay may or may not be an obstacle to the Privates to carry it out.

I do however believe the TSSAA do worry about this possibility as they get a lot of revenues from the privates.

One other note on this thread, CPA has gone all the way once, every other time they have been eliminated in the playoffs by Public Schools.

Posted by Bighurt:

I have a question. If all private schools were split into their own division, why would the private school remain member of the TSSAA?

Posted by OnlineLC:

If the Privates were to break away from the TSSAA, it is unlikely any of the existing TSSAA schools would be allowed to schedule them. Thay may or may not be an obstacle to the Privates to carry it out.

I do however believe the TSSAA do worry about this possibility as they get a lot of revenues from the privates.

One other note on this thread, CPA has gone all the way once, every other time they have been eliminated in the playoffs by Public Schools.

Posted by Bighurt:

I have a question. If all private schools were split into their own division, why would the private school remain member of the TSSAA?

Dang Online!!!!...What kind of private school do you support that would get knocked out by one of those public schools? You guys need to get your act together! It`s obvious that ya`ll aren`t using your advantages wisely. :rolleyes:

Posted by RyanRowdy:

Well I think that publics have a shoe in to win the 4a,3a and 5a. Anybody disagree?

Heck yeah, I agree! How fair is that? Right off the bat Div.I public schools are garaunteed of winning 3 of the 5 Div. I state championships. And I hear rumor that they want to make it so that they are garaunteed to win all 5. Talk about trying to stack the deck!!! :rolleyes:

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 10-2-02 6:30P]

Like I've said before, they already eliminate 25% of the privates before the playoffs even start. There are 8 teams in region 5, eight outside of region five. since only the top 4 of each region make the playoffs you've taken four of the sixteen privates in single a before the playoffs start.

But hey public school guys. Keep telling yourselves that you're still disadvantaged.