Obion Central @ Ripley

The OC Rebels will have to muster up a repeat of their Week 10 effort to advance in the Class 4A Playoffs...

The Rebels will travel to Ripley to face a team that they just beat Thursday night in Troy by the score of 44-15....

The Rebels dominated the game in the second half by allowing only one Ripley first down and outscoring the Tigers 28-0...

The Rebels LaDevin Fair had a huge night rushing for 236 yards on 29 carries after being questionable for the game after a sternum injury he suffered in the Gibson County game a week earlier...The Rebs passing attack was on target as well as Trey Phipps passed for 186 yards on 16 for 24 passing...

The Rebs have a 2000 yard passer (Phipps is 162-261 for 2228 yards and 18 TDs..He has been picked 8 times) and a 1000 yard rusher (Fair has 1031 yards on 160 carries and 15 rushing TDs)..The Rebs also have 5 receivers with over 20 catches for over 260 yards...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ripley leads the all-time series with a 18-6 record vs the Rebels....

These two teams have played every year since 1999 with the series being tied at 6 wins apiece...3-3 in Ripley and 3-3 at OCCHS....

OC has won 2 of the last 3 games played in Ripley and have won 3 out of the last 5 overall in the series including the last two...

In the last 12 games, Ripley's biggest win came at OC in 2008 when they beat the Rebels 42-7....OC's biggest win came last Thursday night at Troy 44-15....

Best I can tell, Obion Central is 1-7 in the playoffs....Their only win was in 2003 under Darren Bowling...That year they beat Kingsbury in Troy 24-10 then lost to Brighton in Troy 15-13...Larry Shanks led the Rebels to three state playoff appearances in 94-96-99..Chris Hill took two teams in 01 and 02..Darren Bowling had one team go in 03 and this will be Shawn Jackson's second team to go...Last season they lost in Memphis to Fairley 34-28...

Jim McPeake had a 6-5 team in 1985..Those were the days of bowl games so I don't know if they played in a bowl game or a playoff game...Maybe some of you long-time Rebel fans can help out with that one...

Need to bring a big crowd to Ripley and fill up the visitors side and make alot of noise...Maybe the band will be allowed to make a road trip this week...

The OC Rebels will have to muster up a repeat of their Week 10 effort to advance in the Class 4A Playoffs...

The Rebels will travel to Ripley to face a team that they just beat Thursday night in Troy by the score of 44-15....

The Rebels dominated the game in the second half by allowing only one Ripley first down and outscoring the Tigers 28-0...

The Rebels LaDevin Fair had a huge night rushing for 236 yards on 29 carries after being questionable for the game after a sternum injury he suffered in the Gibson County game a week earlier...The Rebs passing attack was on target as well as Trey Phipps passed for 186 yards on 16 for 24 passing...

The Rebs have a 2000 yard passer (Phipps is 162-261 for 2228 yards and 18 TDs..He has been picked 8 times) and a 1000 yard rusher (Fair has 1031 yards on 160 carries and 15 rushing TDs)..The Rebs also have 5 receivers with over 20 catches for over 260 yards...

Hey P&G got a question. Did it seem to you that Ripley's plays were slow developing? It seemed like between the time the ball was snapped and they handed off a lot of time elapsed. Also, I know they try to run crazy formations but they just don't have any substance with there offense. On pass plays they just seemed to throw it up and hope somebody would run under it. #81 dropped two or three sure TD's. It seemed like that was the only receiver he was looking for most of the night.

Hey P&G got a question. Did it seem to you that Ripley's plays were slow developing? It seemed like between the time the ball was snapped and they handed off a lot of time elapsed. Also, I know they try to run crazy formations but they just don't have any substance with there offense. On pass plays they just seemed to throw it up and hope somebody would run under it. #81 dropped two or three sure TD's. It seemed like that was the only receiver he was looking for most of the night.

It's funny you ask that....My son looked at me during the first half and said "their plays are SO slow in developing."...At the time we were getting beat and I told him yeah and our defense is slow in recognizing...

81 dropped two TDs in a row..They ran the same play twice back to back because we got screwed up on coverage...Either that or the guy assigned to him just couldn't cover him...He was WIDE open...He (81) looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on the field..Maybe he plays basketball and is ready for the season to start...

Those crazy formations are what reminded me of those Memphis teams that UC used to have to play in the playoffs...Looks like they would just draw plays in the dirt...For the life of me I don't understand why they figured they had to trick our defense...By the same token, when they did run conventional plays they still didn't do anything...They only had 1 first down after halftime...They scored on short fields too...They didn't drive the ball all night...

Edited by Purple & Gold Standard

I just hope the Rebels do NOT overlook the Tigers this Friday. From what has unfolded...this could play into Ripley's hands. If the Rebels come in over confident, things could go south. They need to play like they had never played this team. A different field, bus ride, weather is going to be very cold for all teams. Look for it to be around 38 to 41 at game time. good Luck Rebels.

I just hope the Rebels do NOT overlook the Tigers this Friday. From what has unfolded...this could play into Ripley's hands. If the Rebels come in over confident, things could go south. They need to play like they had never played this team. A different field, bus ride, weather is going to be very cold for all teams. Look for it to be around 38 to 41 at game time. good Luck Rebels.

The weather was cold when these teams met on Thursday night so that is not going to be a factor. The Rebels were actually better on the road with a 3-2 record this year so I don't see that being a factor either. Coach Jackson has said before that they are not good enough to overlook anybody and the kids really seem to buy into what he says so I don't see them being overconfident. I think the pressure is squarely on the shoulders of Ripley. They did not stop anything OC did the other night. The Rebel offense just needs to do what it does. Another solid effort by the defense and I feel good on the Rebels chances.

Hello to everyone in Rebel land :D It won't take a lot of film swapping and scouting reports when these two teams get together this week being as they just played. (so much for seeing an unknown opponent in round one) The Rebels played by far and away their overall BEST game of the season this past week and celbrated Senior Night in style vs. Ripley. The Defense came to play as the Rebels fumbled the opening kickoff but Ripley was held out of the end zone, Although the INT. later turned into points for Ripley- the Rebels scored 37 unanswered points after falling behind 15-7 in mid-2nd qtr. A couple of things impressed me that won't get talked about much- the nice 2:00 offense to close out the first half for the Rebs that put them into position for the Nathan Ward FG and the dominance of D in the 2nd half holding Ripley to 1 first down and about 54 yards or so of total offense. I was really suprised the Tigers scrapped their running game so early and began chuncking it all over the field, doing the Rebels a favor in the process. The McElrath kid for Ripley is a beast and OC did a nice job in the running game with Fair and company as Weaks did a nice job of sliding down in motion and providing extra blocking on those plays. The Rebs got back to the basics on offense- running it down the throats of ripley and mixing in the pass as Trey Phipps continues to mature with 3 more TD passes and now 19 TD total this year along with his 3rd TD run. 62% of pass completions is solid and an abundance of receivers to throw it too, McGrew had a big game vs. D'burg, Cary vs. Westview and GC, Weaks the other night vs. Ripley and Ward leads the team in receptions on the year.. Oh by the way, Jock Williams and LD Fair are very capable as well as each had a TD reception. Speaking of Fair- what toughness the young man showed after being injured the week before to come back and top 200 rushing yards and over 1,000 on the year as he is over 1400 all purpose yards

The Defense has played well the last half of the season as 1st year coordinator Fowler's game plans are finally taking shape. The Tigers have talent, will be at home and Rebel Nation should come out to Tiny Knee Stadium and support this squad.

Oh by the way, an earlier post on here concerning the Rebel playoff history- they did make it in 1985 as back in those days the top two teams from each district went to post-season play. (usually in those days it was whoever came in 2nd to Milan) got the playoff berth. The Rebels defeated UC that season to punch their ticket( OC's last win over UC at the time until 1999) and I believe they lost in the 1st round of the playoffs to Lexington. It was Coach McPeake's last season at OC. :o who by the way shaved his head in a bet with the team if the made the playoffs, Should be an outstanding contest with the winner advancing to probably another matchup at Crockett Co. The Rebels are looking for the 2nd playoff win in school history and this squad has grown by leaps and bounds since back in August- should be a slobber knocker of a game. Getcha Popcorn REady!! :popcorneater: