Obion Central @ Ripley

Hey OCUCSF, how is LaDevin feeling? I know the groin strain won't heal until after the season, but how is the sternum? Kid definitely showed what he is made of last week. The healthier he is, the more dangerous the Rebel offense is.

Gotta bring it on both sides of the ball again this week. I think Ripley has more to correct than OC, but the Rebels need to improve on what they did last week. Take away that deep route on defense and avoid the turnovers. Momentum will be a huge factor playing in Ripley. You boys know what you can do, now do it. For you boys who know me, you know I'll have a "Red Forman" for you if you don't! :roflol:

GO REBELS!!!!!

(Sure do like watching games at Tiny Knee Stadium)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the back and forth in the newspaper this week and considering what happen last week even before the game began, this contest has taken on a whole new meaning. :mrgreen: As stated before, the Rebels probably played their best game of the season last week to punch the playoff ticket, some say they had more to play for than Ripley but facts are facts and the Rebs rolled over 400 yards of offense in a 44-15 victory :thumb: It was a cool night in Troy last week and it is expected to be COLD one this Friday at Tiny Knee :shock:

The Rebels played their best (offense and defense) in the 2nd half of the Ripley game

and the best 1st half I've seen them play was in D'burg a few weeks ago going 6 possessions with 6 TD's. But that's in the past and has nothing to do with what will happen on the field Friday night. Ripley should be more focused on the running game this time as too much attention was focused on the pass game last week. Speaking of that OC passing game- the four guys that start are all solid receivers and throw in two more(Fair and Williams and let's not forget Patton getting some offensive reps and even Wiles when he's in) and it's even more dangerous for opponents. Five receivers with 20 or more catches on the year is impressive and Trey Phipps is avg. 16 completions a game for 62%. With temps in the high 20's or low 30's this will come down to who can hold on to the football. Can the Rebel defense dominate for the 2nd week in a row and will Ripley try to run the football more.. All interesting points and with the Coach saying last week's score won't happen again - this has all the makings of a Round One Playoff Classic.. I for one am looking forward to it..

FYI- for those of you who don't wanna brave the cold temps- the game will be broadcast on the radio 104.9 FM.. Getcha POPCORN READY!! :popcorneater:

JustaOCfan..... the groin injury I think is all but healed, he made some very nice cuts last week and that's hard to do with a groin injury. The sternum I think is still a little sore, and your right he definitely showed some guts last week. He rested alot last week and his legs really showed that last game, and I think the coaches and trainer have given him the rest and therapy this week he needed to hopefully come out and have another solid night .....GO REBELS! !!!!!

With all the back and forth in the newspaper this week and considering what happen last week even before the game began, this contest has taken on a whole new meaning. :mrgreen: As stated before, the Rebels probably played their best game of the season last week to punch the playoff ticket, some say they had more to play for than Ripley but facts are facts and the Rebs rolled over 400 yards of offense in a 44-15 victory :thumb: It was a cool night in Troy last week and it is expected to be COLD one this Friday at Tiny Knee :shock:

The Rebels played their best (offense and defense) in the 2nd half of the Ripley game

and the best 1st half I've seen them play was in D'burg a few weeks ago going 6 possessions with 6 TD's. But that's in the past and has nothing to do with what will happen on the field Friday night. Ripley should be more focused on the running game this time as too much attention was focused on the pass game last week. Speaking of that OC passing game- the four guys that start are all solid receivers and throw in two more(Fair and Williams and let's not forget Patton getting some offensive reps and even Wiles when he's in) and it's even more dangerous for opponents. Five receivers with 20 or more catches on the year is impressive and Trey Phipps is avg. 16 completions a game for 62%. With temps in the high 20's or low 30's this will come down to who can hold on to the football. Can the Rebel defense dominate for the 2nd week in a row and will Ripley try to run the football more.. All interesting points and with the Coach saying last week's score won't happen again - this has all the makings of a Round One Playoff Classic.. I for one am looking forward to it..

FYI- for those of you who don't wanna brave the cold temps- the game will be broadcast on the radio 104.9 FM.. Getcha POPCORN READY!! :popcorneater:

OC's offense runs much smoother when the passing game opens up the running game...When you have the weapons the Rebels have, you got to utilize them, all of them...OC can put so much pressure on a defense with all their receivers AND their running back...I'm a little concerned with the cold weather...As I was waiting in the Senior Night line the other night, I heard more than a couple players commenting on how cold they were...What did they do ??..Promptly went out fumbled away the opening kick-off...You HAVE to be mentally tough this time of year..You got to block out the weather, all the distractions...Momentum is a big thing...Ripley is going to play those last two touchdowns the Rebels scored over and over in their heads...They will be pumped up..You got to weather that early emotion...Can't let them start feeling good about themselves...If they get the ball first we got to hold them out of the endzone...If we get the ball first we need to go down and score...Put doubt in their minds...Then put the pedal to the floor and don't let up...The Rebs have the nod as far as feeling they can beat this team...OC beat them last year at Ripley and then the big win last week...Let's do it now when it counts the most...

Ok Rebels .....this is a new game, new field, new weather, new part of the season. This is what you worked for 10 weeks for. Just unfortunate that you play a regional team back to back. Yes, you beat them somewhat handily the first time around. Just remember, they had their plays to make a closer game and possibly win. They are good...so is the Rebels. Play hard, cut your mistakes out, no turnovers. As I said before the last Ripley game...it is a must that Fair has over a hundred yrds and the passing game has over 200 yards. It has now been proven they can't stop the Rebels offense, The Rebels did kinda stop them on defense but Ripley also stopped themselves. Just make sure you don't stop yourselves. Good luck, play hard and hope to see you playing in week 2 of the TSSAA playoffs.

The Rebels season has come to an end.

Ripley 34

OCCHS 28

With 9 minutes and change...the Rebels were down 34 to 15 and made a game out of it. Turnovers killed the Rebels. Ripley had a chance to score once more around the 9 minute mark but didn't and let the Rebels back into the game. Ripley couldn't finish the Rebels off and turned over the ball a few times late in the game.

This game will be on their minds for the rest of the year. I just hope some of the kids didn't have the mind set that it was going to be another "W" but kids are kids. Keep you head up folks. Give coach Jackson more time. He has the program heading right.

No matter how good you are...beat a team that is decent one week and expect to beat them again 7 days later on their turf is hard. Mistakes didn't help out as well. Decent seaon overall for the Rebels...should have one at least one maybe two more games. Should haves and could haves are the past. The Rebels need to continue their building a good program. You heading in the right direction...keep it up. You have come a long way in two years.

I really think the TSSAA has a playoff formate that sucks. The Rebels should NOT have had to play Ripley in the playoffs first round as just completed playing them in the regular season game. Westview as well...they win their district and have to travel and will not ever host a home field game this year. NOT Right...not right at all. But it is what it is. I have a feeling they will tweak the format even more.

The Rebels end their season at 5 - 6. Not bad but overall...they played well aginst Westview, Crocket Co. Deep down, their district is down from top to bottom with NO true leader. I predict Liberty Magnet to go to the championship game now. They are the team to beat.

Edited by UCGRAD

One crazy game....

Down 34-15 with a little over 7 mins left to having the ball close to midfield with around 1:50 with a chance to win the game...

5 turnovers will kill you come playoff time...

Wait..Hold on a sec...That's QB Scruggs from Ripley with ANOTHER QB keeper for about 10 yards...

Thought maybe OC had weathered the storm with the TD before half and the big defensive stand to go into the locker room down 20-15...The Rebs had the ball to open the second half but didn't even make a first down...

5 turnovers will kill you come playoff time...

There goes Scruggs again....Another...Oh well you get the drift...

About the only smart thing the Ripley coaching staff did tonight was put more pressure on Phipps...Them trying to close out the game was truly comical...The Rebs just couldn't get that last drive going....

It's been fun..19 seniors saw their last high school football action tonight...Tough to end your career like that but they didn't go out bent over...The guys bowed up and made a game out of it...The Rebs will still have some weapons next year...They will have to put together the offensive and defensive lines...They have some big guys waiting in the wings...Another off-season of weights and condition will do wonders for those kids...Got to come up with a defense...

There goes that dang Scruggs again...

I guess I'm kinda suprised that no one else has commented on the game other than P&G and ucgrad. The expectations where high and that is good. I think the OCCHS Rebels are heading their program in the right direction. A win last night would have really been nice even if you lost the next game. That game last night the way it ended was a tough pill to swallow and will be on the minds for some time to come. You can't turn the ball over 5 times and win....but they almost did. Work hard over the winter months and have a good spring...and preparing for another good run in the fall of 2011. You had chances also to have at least two more wins but that is life. Good Luck...us obion Countians/Union Citians are proud of you.