Boyd Buc @ Wartburg

reaction

Hmmm...Boyd absolutely does not recruit, period. I know all the players and the parents...from the last 30 years or so. Of course some people claim this or that...it comes with the territory of being pretty good. But Boyd has always won(or lost) with the kids who show up...no coaches have anything to do with who does or doesn't get into the school. The school keeps costs down so as many kids can go there as possible...so they run a deficit budget. Even if they wanted to recruit they don't have the cash. They aren't an elite private with a huge war chest, they are a small Christian School that overperforms in just about every area. And because they are a Christian School their main focus is on other things, NOT athletics or getting in the best athletes in town.

Consider this...no Boyd player has ever been given a scholarship to a DI school in Football. Compare that to the other 1a and 2a powers in the state. Surely if they were recruiting they could get a couple of those type kids from the public powerhouses in town...Tyner, Red Bank, etc. This year's team has 2 returning starters on Offense, a Freshman QB, and 2 returning starters on Defense (1 of whom is one of the returners on Offense, so 3 total returners). There is not 1 single new starter who wasn't on the team last year except for 1 senior reciever who has never played Football before, and he has been at Boyd his whole life. Our coaches must either be the worst recruiters in the history of recruiting for not being able to find a couple of older studly QBs and experienced recievers when some of the local public schools actually managed to add DOUBLE DIGIT new players from last year...OR...they must not be recruiting.

So the next time you want to claim to know something or someone who said their Sister's cousin's Dog was once a pet of a Boyd Player from some vague time in the past and the player's parents said that Boyd recruits, either name names so we can all have a good laugh or leave that crap at home. Plenty of people have claimed to have 'personal' knowledge that Boyd has recruited this or that kid then gotten the kid wrong...or their source never knew that family, or went to Boyd. Why don't you call a couple of the public school coaches in town and see if they think we recruit...if anything we lose 3 or 4 of our best athletes every year to the local elite privates and powerhouse publics, not the other way around.

I wasn't trying to start a public vs private debate with anyone. Just know what I've been told. I wasn't attacking Boyd or any other private school. I just feel that there should be a split when the playoffs start. The spit of public and private schools doesn't even have to be based on recruiting. It can be based on funding. Most of the public schools in 1A(1A 2A playoffs) are small schools in rural communities. Rural public schools are county funded and make extra money with their ticket sales. Privates have private funding by a church or other organization, make money from ticket sales, and students pay tuition. This can get privates better facilities and equipment. This is one huge reason for the split.

I never said ALL of Boyds players are recruited. Most go there for the reasons you mentioned in your post. I'm just seeking a fair playing field for all the schools, public and private, in the state. Maybe Boyd recruits, maybe they don't. I just know what I've been told.

Like I said Boyd has a great team. They play well together and worked hard to get where they are. Best of luck to Boyd in there upcoming game. May the best team win.

Edited by HHSBulldogType2001

Hmmm...Boyd absolutely does not recruit, period. I know all the players and the parents...from the last 30 years or so. Of course some people claim this or that...it comes with the territory of being pretty good. But Boyd has always won(or lost) with the kids who show up...no coaches have anything to do with who does or doesn't get into the school. The school keeps costs down so as many kids can go there as possible...so they run a deficit budget. Even if they wanted to recruit they don't have the cash. They aren't an elite private with a huge war chest, they are a small Christian School that overperforms in just about every area. And because they are a Christian School their main focus is on other things, NOT athletics or getting in the best athletes in town.

Consider this...no Boyd player has ever been given a scholarship to a DI school in Football. Compare that to the other 1a and 2a powers in the state. Surely if they were recruiting they could get a couple of those type kids from the public powerhouses in town...Tyner, Red Bank, etc. This year's team has 2 returning starters on Offense, a Freshman QB, and 2 returning starters on Defense (1 of whom is one of the returners on Offense, so 3 total returners). There is not 1 single new starter who wasn't on the team last year except for 1 senior reciever who has never played Football before, and he has been at Boyd his whole life. Our coaches must either be the worst recruiters in the history of recruiting for not being able to find a couple of older studly QBs and experienced recievers when some of the local public schools actually managed to add DOUBLE DIGIT new players from last year...OR...they must not be recruiting.

So the next time you want to claim to know something or someone who said their Sister's cousin's Dog was once a pet of a Boyd Player from some vague time in the past and the player's parents said that Boyd recruits, either name names so we can all have a good laugh or leave that crap at home. Plenty of people have claimed to have 'personal' knowledge that Boyd has recruited this or that kid then gotten the kid wrong...or their source never knew that family, or went to Boyd. Why don't you call a couple of the public school coaches in town and see if they think we recruit...if anything we lose 3 or 4 of our best athletes every year to the local elite privates and powerhouse publics, not the other way around.

I think most people think that ANY team that wins must recruit because they look for excuses as to why they are getting beat!! The truth is that when a school is good at Academics, Athletics, and the Arts then they will have people that want to go there. Like I said we have brought our son to Boyd, not because anyone contacted us, but because we moved to the area and researched the schools paifully and decided that Boyd was the best fit. We do know because he is a very good athlete that people will say it is because he was recruited, but the truth is Boyd is an outstanding school who does things the RIGHT way and that is why we or anyone else goes there!!!

I think most people think that ANY team that wins must recruit because they look for excuses as to why they are getting beat!! The truth is that when a school is good at Academics, Athletics, and the Arts then they will have people that want to go there. Like I said we have brought our son to Boyd, not because anyone contacted us, but because we moved to the area and researched the schools paifully and decided that Boyd was the best fit. We do know because he is a very good athlete that people will say it is because he was recruited, but the truth is Boyd is an outstanding school who does things the RIGHT way and that is why we or anyone else goes there!!!

I will agree with you on this matter. A good reputation recruits itself. As for my opinion I would like to see a complete split of public & private schools, but there isnt one. So I it doesn't matter. There are plenty of public schools like an Alcoa or a Maryville that accused of recruiting. Maybe at one time they did...but they don't have to anymore because parents are willing to move there to give their kids a better situation in academics & sports.

As for the game this Friday I think it will be an uphill battle for our Dawgs, but no one can argue this team has made great strides. 9 wins at a school that hadnt had a winning season in 7 or 8 years is a great accomplishment. On paper we probably shouldnt even be on the field with Boyd, but that is why they play the game. Im gonna say WB 21 BB 17

I will agree with you on this matter. A good reputation recruits itself. As for my opinion I would like to see a complete split of public & private schools, but there isnt one. So I it doesn't matter. There are plenty of public schools like an Alcoa or a Maryville that accused of recruiting. Maybe at one time they did...but they don't have to anymore because parents are willing to move there to give their kids a better situation in academics & sports.

As for the game this Friday I think it will be an uphill battle for our Dawgs, but no one can argue this team has made great strides. 9 wins at a school that hadnt had a winning season in 7 or 8 years is a great accomplishment. On paper we probably shouldnt even be on the field with Boyd, but that is why they play the game. Im gonna say WB 21 BB 17

When I watch us play i see a very young talented team that keeps getting better and better, but is a team that has to play at its best to win. This game should be a good one.

I'll say Bucs win 28-21

I dont know if they recruit or not. Dont guess it really matters. They are a good football team any year and have been for a while now. Like someone already said, good teams will draw in players year in and year out. Everybody wants to win, nobody wants to lose. The Bucs put up a fight and I always enjoy playing against them whatever the sport may be. We play a lot of private schools. When you are in a single A school there is not a lot of choice for competition. You can choose to play the big 3A programs that are located closer, but you run the risk of running your 20-30 kids out against an armada of players. Sometimes that dont matter, its just a bigger cookie jar to find more good cookies.

I dont know much about Wartburg, but I do know some about Boyd. I believe the Bucs will continue on to next week and win it 35-21.