Sullivan South offseason thread

2000southreb81

FB, most likely the final plan is already on paper. We are just waiting to find out. But, if you are on the outside looking in some things are common sense. Like the demise of the Legion Pool and the Civic Auditorium. And how old is GC? Does he have 10 years left of coaching? Will he become the AD? Who will be the next coach? I would say the answer to these questions and more are on paper. They are just waiting for the smoke to clear. Would DB be the most attractive job in the state? Who would vie for it? And how much more attractive would it be if it were the largest high school in the state? Who are the top 3 football coaches in TN? Would they be interested? And now include surrounding states. Can DB afford a plump three figure salary for a football coach? Kingsport City is gearing up for monumental growth in the next short few years...their current school system can't handle that sort of growth...yet. Will the South community be the victim of or the beneficiary of the City of Kingsport's long term plan? Will the City allow Sullivan South to become a City high school and ship overflow to it? Will DB be expanded to house 3000 students? And...would the City of Kingsport allow Sullivan South to become their equal? Maybe I should write a Friday Nite Lights type movie and call it..."The Model City".

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sullivan South becomes Kingsport's "vocational" city high school and Dobyns Bennett becomes Kingsport's "college bound" city high school, how will those designations effect the football programs at both schools?

Hey Jhilts, read the KTN today? How do you like the silly rumor I started now ? Looks like Yennie is in Kitzmiller"s back pocket. Oh well, that's what we get for not having a "good ole boy" look out for our interests in the Sullivan Co. school system.

Hey Jhilts, read the KTN today? How do you like the silly rumor I started now ? Looks like Yennie is in Kitzmiller"s back pocket. Oh well, that's what we get for not having a "good ole boy" look out for our interests in the Sullivan Co. school system.

Still a silly rumor, but the Times-News didn't help things. The article did not mention South. It is my understanding that Yennie is on South's side. Kitzmiller was the one quoted concerning picking schools.

As of the 08-09 school year, South sent 79% of their students to college and DB sent 70%.

I'll repeat; There is NO possibility of South becoming some sort of technical school. NONE.

Still a silly rumor, but the Times-News didn't help things. The article did not mention South. It is my understanding that Yennie is on South's side. Kitzmiller was the one quoted concerning picking schools.

As of the 08-09 school year, South sent 79% of their students to college and DB sent 70%.

I'll repeat; There is NO possibility of South becoming some sort of technical school. NONE.

I hope you're right. At least now you understand that I heard it from a teacher who got it from the superintendent. The idea was thrown out at Rock Springs, so I assumed South was the school being targeted as a vocational/technical model. I guess North would do though.

• 2 weeks later...

FB, most likely the final plan is already on paper. We are just waiting to find out. But, if you are on the outside looking in some things are common sense. Like the demise of the Legion Pool and the Civic Auditorium. And how old is GC? Does he have 10 years left of coaching? Will he become the AD? Who will be the next coach? I would say the answer to these questions and more are on paper. They are just waiting for the smoke to clear. Would DB be the most attractive job in the state? Who would vie for it? And how much more attractive would it be if it were the largest high school in the state? Who are the top 3 football coaches in TN? Would they be interested? And now include surrounding states. Can DB afford a plump three figure salary for a football coach? Kingsport City is gearing up for monumental growth in the next short few years...their current school system can't handle that sort of growth...yet. Will the South community be the victim of or the beneficiary of the City of Kingsport's long term plan? Will the City allow Sullivan South to become a City high school and ship overflow to it? Will DB be expanded to house 3000 students? And...would the City of Kingsport allow Sullivan South to become their equal? Maybe I should write a Friday Nite Lights type movie and call it..."The Model City".

To be honest...would the top 3 coaches in TN be interested in DB...if it was only about the money yes if it is winning state championships no...other areas of the state know how to get things done and only if DB did a few things different could I see that..."Open Enrollment via interview" like two other schools we know will get you the best players in a region coming to your school.

South also has outscored DB in the ACT and Rock Springs, Miller Perry and Colonial Heights Middle School scored higher than city as well in TCAPS. From kingsport times news in December 2010:

Report Card section of the state Department of Education Web site at tennessee.gov/education. They show that the three-year average (2007-2009) TCAP scores for Rock Springs, Miller Perry and Colonial Heights Middle School for the most part exceed those of city schools. The three-year average ACT scores for Sullivan South High School in 3 of 4 categories, including the composite score, exceed those of Dobyns-Bennett

Just to back up your point... both good school systems though.

Edited by 2000southreb81

South also has outscored DB in the ACT and Rock Springs, Miller Perry and Colonial Heights Middle School scored higher than city as well in TCAPS. From kingsport times news in December 2010:

Report Card section of the state Department of Education Web site at tennessee.gov/education. They show that the three-year average (2007-2009) TCAP scores for Rock Springs, Miller Perry and Colonial Heights Middle School for the most part exceed those of city schools. The three-year average ACT scores for Sullivan South High School in 3 of 4 categories, including the composite score, exceed those of Dobyns-Bennett

I attended DB and would choose South over DB for my kids. Sorry to all the South haters out there.

Well I guess maybe the South kids study harder or their just smarter than DB kids. This is a football thread though and as you know their ACT scores have never helped much on the the football field when going up against the Tribe. Perhaps the smartest team that South has ever had was the 2006 team where they lost to the Indians 44-0. It was a game (according to all those smart South fans) that they were going to win easly. Maybe when the city moves into Colonial Heights we'll be able to field a team as smart as that 2006 South team. Ah......thats just me dreaming

Well I guess maybe the South kids study harder or their just smarter than DB kids. This is a football thread though and as you know their ACT scores have never helped much on the the football field when going up against the Tribe. Perhaps the smartest team that South has ever had was the 2006 team where they lost to the Indians 44-0. It was a game (according to all those smart South fans) that they were going to win easly. Maybe when the city moves into Colonial Heights we'll be able to field a team as smart as that 2006 South team. Ah......thats just me dreaming

The post was in reply to making South a vocational school and the ongoing discussion/speculation on the future of the South system as a whole. I am not trying to debate the intellect of the football players on either side as I am sure both schools field fine, intelligent young men. I can see from your previous comment and posting history that you are neither. Your comments tarnish past, present, and future Indians. You are the reason these boards turn sour. You can enjoy a squabble with someone else, i will not engage you as i am sure you've got plenty of worn out, tired comments that you are just dying to repeat. Stay classy Kingsport, this poster is done.