Girls Wrestling...

SpeedKILLS

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by SpeedKILLS:

What do you think of girls wrestling? Soddy Daisy I think is wrestling someone this year in girls wrestling...

It depends on if it's a mud match or not! Just kidding, don't email me. I think it is always good to have another sport offered for either girls or guys. At the start I'd say it will have big crowds because of the curiosity factor, but as time goes by the girls need to get more and more skilled or it would be pretty worthless. Maybe there could be two or three girls matches in between in the boys matches, no matter the weights just to get crowds used to it.

I feel it is time to go ahead and put "Girls Wrestling" into effect. The Soddy Daisy Invitational is planning on adding a Girls division to their tournament. There are only 5 weight classes for girls as of right now. I am just not comfortable with girls wrestling guys. First of all it is a "NO WIN" situation for a guy either way the match goes and if the guy loses, his wrestling career is OVER! It is time we went ahead and added girls teams. This would not only benefit the girls of Tennessee that are interested in Wrestling, but it would aid our battle against Title IV and gender equity.

Like it or not, female wrestling is the key to saving our sport. I'm not talking about girls vs boys here but the start of female only teams just as xwristsd and kkw have mentioned. We better get on the bandwagon and support the women's programs NOW before Title IX trickles its way down to the High School level. If we don't, you can kiss our sport good-bye.

xbody

Like xbody, I once assumed that women's wrestling would be a salvation to our beloved sport, but now I believe this to be the contrary. Look at what FILA has done, actually the IOC, but only because FILA originated the concept in the early 80's; we have lost 3 wt classes in both styles (free&greco)since the inception of women's wrestling. This was done to limit the number of medals the IOC would have to give over-all to wrestling. We got snookered.

No disrespect to Karelin at all, but FILA could care less about Title IX. They are their own group and Title IX has absolutely no bearing on their organization. I don't know why they decided to drop some of the weight classes in international freestyle and greco but I doubt that it was because of women's wrestling or the amount of medals that they give out at the Olympics in a particular sport. I can see both sides of the issues on dropping or not dropping one style of wrestling at the Olympics (Greco bores the crap out of me personally) but it's not the fault of women's wrestling that this is being considered.

I don't like seeing girls vs boys at the high school level and there is absolutely no reason in the world for a woman to even attempt to wrestle against male competition at the collegiant level, so I think that seperate women's programs at both levels would benefit the sport.

xbody

[Edited by xbody on 10-4-02 2:07P]

Several years years ago a girl from McMinneville (or somewhere close to that ) made it to the state tournament at 103. It was before the division split. I had Casey Brewster on the mat next to her. She was wrestling the Baylor kid, and when the match started I was BLINDED by the media flashes. There was alot of great wrestling going on that Thursday that got shoved aside for the sake of the huge front page picture the Free Press decided to use on their Friday edition.

The girl from Cookeville didn't make it in cause she was a middle weight. She was a much better athlete and wrestler than the 103. I think she was an All-American in girls only competition.

XWRISTED is right. Girls wrestling guys is lose/lose for the guy. However, if we don't provide some girls only tournament competition it will eventually create problems for us concerning Title IX.

There are some interesting ideas being mentioned. Wish that I could add some wisdom, but I really don't have an answer. Here's what I do know.... Several years ago, a Freshman of mine wrestled a young lady in a JV tournament at Boyd Buchanan. To make a long story short, he lost a close match. Although I did my best, what words would have made this young wrestler feel better? While we as adults can attempt to make this "ok", can we remember back to fourteen or fifteen years old. Already among the smallest of his peers, not physically developed and trying to find a place to fit in, he now had to anticipate returning to school on Monday morning to face the verbal butt-kicking from those who already had heard about the "little guy who got his butt kicked by a girl".

I gave him a while before trying to talk to him again still searching for the right words. Found him later in his parents' car in the dark parking lot. Of course, he was devastated and crying. And although I stumbled through it, I still didn't have the right words..What are the right words?

I don't know the answers on this topic, but I feel that girls vs. guys is a no-win.

instead of just downing the enitre concept (and anyone that does that has probably never seen a high-level girls' match--ask Louise Davis if they didn't make a beleiver out of her) why don't we look for solutions?

We also have to think about this; how many more girls might become interested in the sport and also be ALLOWED to compete if it were Girls vs girls, like it should be?

Texas, a few years ago, had what amounted to an Officials Strike. They REFUSED to call a match between a male amd female, and in doing so, got a seperate division started, which is now Thriving and popular in Texas. But the Rule is there on the UIL (sp?) books..... "NO male shall wrestle a female in competition, and Vice-Versa."