Big Games in Memphis

kwc

It's the Quarters! Rubber ... I'd like to introduce you to the road. Road ... meet rubber. I like what coach Netherland was quoted as saying in the Commercial Appeal ...

"You don't want them so keyed up that they can't find the field," the all-time winningest coach in Tennessee prep history said. "There are a certain amount of plays and they have to be prepared. You have to be in the right position on defense and not make mistakes on offense.

"It's not rocket scientist stuff."

This week i'm putting all of the Memphis area schools games in this thread, and not just 5A, 6A, and D2-AA (Who are all eliminated anyway). And, on that note, let's look at the games.

4A - Quad 4:

Kingsbury (Dist. 15, 7-5) @ Trezevant (Dist. 15, 11-1)

5A - Quad 4:

Jackson Northside (Dist. - 13, 12-0) @ Ridgeway (Dist. 15, 12-0)

6A - Quad 4:

Germantown (Dist. 15, 8-4) @ Whitehaven (Dist. 16, 11-1)

D2 - A:

Davidson Acadamy (D2-A E/Mid., 8-3) @ St. Georges (D2-A W., 11-0)

ECS (D2-A W., 8-3) @ Knoxville Webb (D2-A, E./Mid., 11-0)

My picks are as follows:

4A:

Trezevant wins ... 14 - 8

5A:

Ridgeway beats JNS ... 28 - 17

6A:

Whitehaven defeats Germantown ... 35 - 10

D2-A:

St. George's is victorious ... 28 - 13

Knoxville Webb beats ECS ... 28 - 24

That's it for me. OK everybody ... jump in and give your winners and scores and what have you.

Edited by kwc

It's the Quarters! Rubber ... I'd like to introduce you to the road. Road ... meet rubber. I like what coach Netherland was quoted as saying in the Commercial Appeal ...

This week i'm putting all of the Memphis area schools games in this thread, and not just 5A, 6A, and D2-AA (Who are all eliminated anyway). And, on that note, let's look at the games.

4A - Quad 4:

Kingsbury (Dist. 15, 7-5) @ Trezevant (Dist. 15, 11-1)

5A - Quad 4:

Jackson Northside (Dist. - 13, 12-0) @ Ridgeway (Dist. 15, 12-0)

6A - Quad 4:

Germantown (Dist. 15, 8-4) @ Whitehaven (Dist. 16, 11-1)

D2 - A:

Davidson Acadamy (D2-A E/Mid., 8-3) @ St. Georges (D2-A W., 11-0)

ECS (D2-A W., 8-3) @ Knoxville Webb (D2-A, E./Mid., 11-0)

My picks are as follows:

4A:

5A:

6A:

D2-A:

That's it for me. OK everybody ... jump in and give your winners and scores and what have you.

It's that time to shine... To each and every one of the Memphis City schools still playing as well as the Shelby Co. schools and the Private schools I would like to sincerely wish everyone luck this Friday night!

KWC, I may or may not give my analysis on games this week, but I do want to say this to all of my people of Whitehaven aka BlackHaven aka Da Haven...

This week will be the meeting of A NEMESIS and A THRESHOLD . WE NEED ALL THE WHITEHAVEN AND G-TOWN faithful out in full force to see this EPIC 6A BATTLE FRIDAY NIGHT! :popcorneater:

RESPECT DA HAVEN

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

It's that time to shine... To each and every one of the Memphis City schools still playing as well as the Shelby Co. schools and the Private schools I would like to sincerely wish everyone luck this Friday night!

KWC, I may or may not give my analysis on games this week, but I do want to say this to all of my people of Whitehaven aka BlackHaven aka Da Haven...

This week will be the meeting of A NEMESIS and A THRESHOLD . WE NEED ALL THE WHITEHAVEN AND G-TOWN faithful out in full force to see this EPIC 6A BATTLE FRIDAY NIGHT! :popcorneater:

RESPECT DA HAVEN

BlackHavenSenator:

I hate to say this, but I won't be able to attend the game this Friday due to a commitment I have to honor, otherwise, I'd be in the stands sitting at the 50 yardline. I'm counting on the rest of the Whitehaven faithfull to be there in full force. I will be there in spirit!

Go Whitehaven ... beat Germantown!

Repect da Haven!

Edited by kwc

Trezevant wins ... 14 - 8 my pick Trezevant 22-12

5A:

Ridgeway beats JNS ... 28 - 17 Ridgeway 35-14

6A:

Whitehaven defeats Germantown ... 35 - 10 Want to stay true to county school but,,,,,Whitehaven 34-28 at buzzer

D2-A:

St. George's is victorious ... 28 - 13 Don,t care

Knoxville Webb beats ECS ... 28 - 24 why chose....

4A - Quad 4:

Kingsbury (Dist. 15, 7-5) @ Trezevant (Dist. 15, 11-1)- These are two very good teams. Kingsbury's record, at face value, is quite deceiving. They played a very tough schedule. But in spite of that, I am picking Trezvant in a close game- 24 to 18.

5A - Quad 4:

Jackson Northside (Dist. - 13, 12-0) @ Ridgeway (Dist. 15, 12-0)- Rigeway, and it won't be as close at most may predict- 34 to 21.

6A - Quad 4:

Germantown (Dist. 15, 8-4) @ Whitehaven (Dist. 16, 11-1)- If Germantown can manage a great defensive effort, with no mistakes on offensive, they have a shot at winning a very close low-scoring game; otherwise, I just cannot see them winning. Whitehaven will just be too much for Germantown. Whitehaven 34 - Germantown 13.

D2 - A:

Davidson Acadamy (D2-A E/Mid., 8-3) @ St. Georges (D2-A W., 11-0)- I will go for the local team - St. Georges by 8.

ECS (D2-A W., 8-3) @ Knoxville Webb (D2-A, E./Mid., 11-0)- Again, I will go for the local team - ECS by 2.

My picks are as follows:

4A:

5A:

6A:

D2-A:

Trezevant 26 ........... Kingsbury 14

Ridgeway 34 ........... Jackson Northside 20

Whitehaven 28 ......... Germantown 17 ... Whitehaven's usual mistakes will keep this game closer than it should be!

St. Georges 17 ......... Davidson Academy 14

Knoxville Webb 35 ...... ECS 17

6A:

Gtown at Whitehaven

Whitehaven is potent on both sides of the ball. The defense is stingy and the O can put a lot of points on the board.

Germantown is clicking right now. And when that option is rolling it is hard to stop. The D has enough athletes to stop the big play.

I'm going with my gut on this one....

Gtown - 21 Whitehaven - 14

5A

Jackson NS at Ridgeway

Jackson NS is 12 - 0 for a reason. They are no pushovers. But they haven't played the schedule Ridgeway has.

Ridgeway may very well be the most talanted team in the state in any division. The are athletic, big, strong, and fast. Who cares about the kicking game. This one won't be close.

Ridgeway - 32 Jackson NS - 3

4A

Kingsbury at Trezevant

Equally matched teams. Close match the first go round. Close match this time too.

Kingsbury - 18 Trezevant - 13

D2 - A

Davidson Academy at St. George's

Could this be the last game Coach Netherland coaches in the State of TN??? I think so....

Davidson Academy - 21 St. George's - 10

ECS at Knoxville Webb

Knoxville Webb to much for ECS

Knoxville Webb - 35 ECS - 14

5A

Jackson NS at Ridgeway

Jackson NS is 12 - 0 for a reason. They are no pushovers. But they haven't played the schedule Ridgeway has.

Ridgeway may very well be the most talanted team in the state in any division. The are athletic, big, strong, and fast. Who cares about the kicking game. This one won't be close.

Ridgeway - 32 Jackson NS - 3

I know I have a bias towards teams from the Memphis area, so I try to be as objective as I possibly can. I looked at both schools schedules and I counted six teams on Ridgeway's schedule that they beat that are playing in the post season. I counted five schools on Jackson Northside's schedule that they beat who are playing or played in the post season. But ... I found myself coming to your same conclusion concerning their respective schedules. I think Ridgeway has just flat out beat better teams. I think it will show come Friday.

Just an opinion.

Edited by kwc

John Varlas' Prep Football Playoff Preview

By John Varlas

Memphis Commercial Appeal

Posted November 19, 2010 at midnight

Germantown (8-4) at Whitehaven (11-1)

Story lines: Former district foes -- and longtime rivals -- meet once again in the Class 6A quarterfinals. The Tigers put together one of their more complete games of the year in last week's 41-13 victory over Wooddale, playing well on both sides of the ball and getting some big plays on special teams. Sophomore running back Mark Dodson continues to impress. The Tigers' massive line offers excellent protection for quarterback Timmarious Mitchell and he has a host of playmakers he can get the ball to. Germantown will counter with its tried-and-tested triple option. Junior running back Shatavius Lowe (264 yards, three touchdowns in last week's 28-10 victory over Collierville) is the star, but quarterback Justin Kemp has plenty of experience and does a great job running the attack, while fullback Stan Taylor does all the little things to help out. On defense, the Red Devils have improved greatly since starting the season 2-3. In what should be a hard-hitting, ball-control contest, keeping mistakes to a minimum will be crucial.

Jackson North Side (12-0) vs. Ridgeway (12-0) at Halle Stadium

Story lines: Aside from their spotless records, these two teams mirror each other in other ways. Both have excellent running games; Ridgeway relies on Mr. Football finalist Jaylen Walton with superb help from backup Sheldon Dawson, while the Indians have fine 1-2 punch in Darrell Dancer (8.2 yards per carry) and Montrell Lowe (also a standout linebacker). Both get fine quarterback play; Jamil Golden had three touchdown passes in the Roadrunners' 54-12 victory over Hardin County last week while JNS' Adam Craig, though just a sophomore, has some gaudy numbers (25 touchdowns, 3 interceptions). The key will be whichever defense can assert itself on the game. With players like linebacker Douglas McWhorter, defensive tackle Terence Butler and safety Jason Card, Ridgeway has done a great job on that side of the ball season. But the Indians, while maybe a bit undersized, have a big-play unit that excels at takeaways.

Kingsbury (7-5) vs. Trezevant (11-1) at Greenhill Stadium

Story lines: It's been a long time since each team has made it to the quarters; 1994 for Kingsbury and 1993 for the Trezevant. Outside of undefeated Ridgeway and St. George's, no team has a longer winning streak than Trezevant, which has ripped of 10 in a row since a loss to Lafayette County in the second week of the season. The Bears' defense has dominated all season, especially in its two playoff games. Linebacker Shunvontay Armstrong and defensive backs Devin Houston and Marquaveous Jones are players to watch. On offense, running back Terrell Williams is one of the best in the area, and Cameron Mayfield does a steady job under center. Kingsbury is also red-hot; the Falcons are 7-1 since starting the season 0-4 against a rugged schedule. The lone loss came to the Bears, 12-7, on Oct. 8. Freshman running back Randolf Zleh and senior quarterback Wesley Whitmore will have to find a way to manufacture points against one of the best defenses around.

ECS (8-3) at Knoxville Webb (11-0)

Story lines: This one is a rematch of last season's Division 2-A semifinal. Webb won that one, 42-28, before going on to win the state title, and the Eagles will be hungry for some payback. Senior leader Will Jamison will slot in wherever he's needed tonight -- even at free safety -- while sophomore quarterback Brent Rooker continues to improve each week. On defense, senior linebacker Brady Smith had a big game last week (10.5 tackles). The Spartans -- who are very proficient with their wing-T offense -- are led by the Blance brothers, junior Caleb and sophomore Aaron. They combined for 375 yards rushing and six touchdowns in last last week's 41-14 victory over University School of Jackson. Both brothers are averaging over 10 yards per carry for the season.

Davidson Academy (8-3) at St. George's (11-0)

Story lines: Gryphons coach Ken Netherland said it's no mystery what Davidson Academy will do: serve up steady doses of Justin Williams. The senior tailback -- a Mr. Football back of the year finalist -- is a workhouse who is expected to get as many touches as humanly possible tonight. The Gryphons' defense, which played well in last week's 7-0 victory over Franklin Road Academy, will need a similar effort tonight. St. George's has allowed three points combined in its last three games. On offense, quarterback Blake Edwards, running back Ryan Doolin and company will need some ball control drives to help eat up the clock and keep Williams off the field.

I have to go with KWC's picks Trezevent, Ridgeway, Whitehaven, St. Georges, and Webb. As a father of a son who has played 3 of these teams(In the games, I know they will all bring their A game. Don't do like our guys did last week and leave it at home( CBHS plain and simple were crap, what a way to finish a good year). Good luck to all and do Memphis proud!